What did you do that you thought was a waste of money?

The only thing we thought was a waste was the Villains party at DHS in 2013.

But, we got our money refunded, so I'm over it. :goodvibes

Oh, and the dining plan......totally not worth it. We have gone without it for 3 years and made out so much better.

We just did the new and improved Wished Fireworks Dessert Party when we were there in August and that was a total waste of money! We had done it before the price increase and enjoyed not having to fight the crowds and the desserts were decent. This year though it felt like there were more people crammed in the area; my chair kept hitting the chair of the person behind me. For the money we paid we felt like there should have been more room to walk around and a better dessert selection. Next year we will be using a FP+ for the fireworks and if we decide to try something we will book Pirates and Pals.

I was wondering how the new party was. That's a shame that they nearly doubled the price AND are cramming more people in there.

For your first trip, I wouldn't do any of the extra things. You will be so busy with just the normal park things that if you do the extra things, you will be sorry about all of the park things you are missing. I would pick one or two character meals and then just do the parks.

I agree with this. We just spent 12 hours in MK Friday, no crowds, no waits for any rides except PP and 7DMT yet we still didn't do everything. This was partly b/c we've been so many times and didn't need/want to do some things and a few rides we did multiple times, but also b/c there's so much to do! You can become overwhelmed easily in any of the parks your first time, even if you have a detailed plan all set. Throw in keeping FP times straight and ADR times, then add "extras" and while it could mean more fun it can also mean more headaches and missing some carefree moments you'd otherwise have just doing your own thing in the parks :)
Back to your original question, as others have said the Tomorrowland Terrace Dessert Party a few years ago wasn't worth it to us. I also agree with a pp who said Pirates' league is a nice, cheaper alternative to BBB unless you have a DD who is really into princesses. As for character meals, for your first trip I think a couple would be nice if your kids are into it. We love Tusker house and always enjoyed Akershus.

Dessert Party, sort of. It wasn't a complete waste because it was nice to have the view and we had a good time. But it definitely wasn't WORTH the cost.

I'm planning our first WDW vacation for January. I am trying very hard to keep it within budget, but there are so many things I want to do that just keep pushing our cost higher and higher. Bibbidy Bobbidy Boutique or Pirate's League, Pirate and Pals Firework Cruise, Firework Dessert Party, Memory Maker, Hoop Dee Doo Revue, etc, not to mention the character meals.

What did you do during one of your trips that you thought was a complete waste of money?

You know, if you tried to avoid everything someone says is a waste of money, you'd end up not doing anything at all. :laughing:

That said, this is your first trip. My advice would be to focus on experiencing as many of the shows and rides as you can, plan one or two sit down meals, and don't bother with all the expensive, time consuming extras. You don't need tours and cruises and dessert parties. You can take your own pictures (though if you like to collect ride photos, Memory Maker might be a sensible splurge).

You'll want to explore the parks! Don't book up all your time with extras.

Most won't agree with me but for our family, I don't feel the dining plan was worth the cost.

My kids don't each much at all... We threw away so much food. No one ate dessert at quick service and when we checked out there were 22 QS credits left behind.

DD loves BBB so we'll keep doing that as long as she's into princesses- you can bring your own dress and get the crown package- hair, makeup, and nails for around $65.

We only get the dining plan because we usually have free dining. I would never be able to justify paying for the dining pin, especially because my 11 yo son hardly eats.

We won't do MNSSHP anymore. We've been 4 times, but last year we just felt like it wasn't worth the cost anymore.

I did feel like BBB and the PL are worth it. The kids got so much attention. We always bring our own outfits, so we don't do the most expensive package.

I agree with others that if this is your first trip I wouldn't do anything extra, you are most likely going to be busy just doing the "regular" things that it would be a waste of money to do anything else. Never did anything special when DS was little, he just had so much fun being there, now we do something special every trip but he is an adult.

To answer your question, the only thing I regret spending money on was the dessert party, this was before the price increase. Couldn't eat more than two desserts and while we had good seats, when the show started, everyone went to the rail, which was right in front of us so we couldn't see anything, my avitar was taken there and you can see the obstruction in front of us.

Park Hoppers. Bought them in 2008, used once just to get to an Epcot restaurant for dinner one night, never used them again. Haven't bought them since and have never missed having them.

Keys to the Kingdom tour in the MK was torture - too long, not a lot of new info, boring - I did LOVE another MK tour, Marceline to the MK - it was shorter and took you under the haunted mansion, also gave great info on Carousel of Progress.
Haven't done it, but have to agree with other user about face painting: this poor couple got their two young sons faces painted and then got on Kali Rapids in AK (very early in the day). After the ride, I am sure they had to wash it all off. Their faces did look great, but the parents unfortunately didn't have a clue how the ride was. Their kids were very young and terrified, between their tears and the water ride, their faces were ruined - I felt horrible. I can only imagine between the heat, sweat and kids touching their faces, it may not last too long.

Did the Backyard BBQ once - didn't like it enough to return. It probably is better if you have kids. Food was underwhelming.

Our last meal at LeCellier, unfortunately. $50 for the same filet with risotto that was $30 before they became a Signature restaurant. It was good but I just can't pay the "Signature Dining surcharge" on it anymore.

I know many people love MNSSHP and MVMCP, but we only did the Christmas party once and won't do it again. Yes, the parade was fun, but we joked that those were $38 cookies and hot chocolate (this was six years ago, and we had military discount tickets).

We are going in December this year and definitely NOT attending the party!
NOW they are $78 cookies and hot chocolate! :scared1::scared1::scared1:

I love MVMCP but they just keep increasing the price of the tickets with nothing added to the party at all! This may be the last time I go to this party.

Last edited:
I have never done it myself (and never will), but the Wishes dessert parties seem like such a waste of money! I thought they were before, and even more now since they doubled the price. I don't understand why people jump to spend money on these things! Also the Frozen dessert party during Osbourne Lights- I can buy my own dessert and walk around and enjoy Osbourne Lights at little to no cost. That is just me though. I have read so many negative reviews on these dessert parties.. most people end up being disappointed in them.

NOW they are $78 cookies and hot chocolate! :scared1::scared1::scared1:

I love MVMCP but they just keep increasing the tickets with nothing added to the party at all! This may be the last time I go to this party.

gosh.....but if I am honest, I just really liked the Mickey's Twas the night before Christmas show....and I see its not there anymore? LAME

Most won't agree with me but for our family, I don't feel the dining plan was worth the cost.

My kids don't each much at all... We threw away so much food. No one ate dessert at quick service and when we checked out there were 22 QS credits left behind.

DD loves BBB so we'll keep doing that as long as she's into princesses- you can bring your own dress and get the crown package- hair, makeup, and nails for around $65.

I mean, ive often heard people dont find it worth it to pay for it, they just go for it when it's free (and it's way too much food anyway). So i don't think you are alone.

I can't think of any event/attraction/meal that I'd consider a waste of money. However, like others have mentioned, there are things I feel are "One and done" events............MNSSHP is one that comes to mind. We probably won't do it again just my wife and I...........now if the grandchildren are involved..........we'll do it again. The Luau show at the Poly is also that kind of event for us............it was fun and something we felt was worth it........but only 1 time!

So I guess for us.........the question is more about......"What event/attraction/meal would you not doing again because you feel its only worth one try?"

Doug :goofy:

Most people will disagree with me but my biggest waste of money was Park Hoppers! Got them our first year because I kept reading you absolutely had to have them in order to get anything done. So I bought them. NEVER used them!! Wasted $250!!! Have not bought them since and have never missed them! Especially on a first trip where you have so much to do in each park, they're really not necessary. And if you have little ones, it can be more hassle than it's worth trekking from park to park.

I agree with you!! I also paid for then once and did hop one day, but I will not buy them again. It just isn't needed for our touring style.

For us personally, I'd say:
1) Backyard BBQ. We did it once, won't do it again. Especially once we found out about the Campfire Sing-along with Chip & Dale, which is FREE!
2) Staying at the Grand Floridian. It's just not worth it, imo.
3) Most every signature restaurant @ Disney. The food at your local restaurants will likely be much better and much cheaper.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter