What did you bake today ? OK if not from scratch

@mmouse37- do you mind sharing the recipe for the grinch cookies? I made one last year and found it very bland. I know most of them use cake mix but they all seem to differ a tiny bit. I’m debating on just making one with cake mix and hoping it’s not the recipe I used last year or trying a non cake mix version I found. DS is requesting them as his one cookie choice this year.

Sure.....i bought the hearts on Amazon. They come with red and pink hearts so I will probably use the pink hearts around Valentine's Day.

Here is a pic of the recipe. With food colors I had I used the amounts noted on the bottom. Your mileage may vary.

IMG_1340.jpg

It is not a sweet. I find I like vegetables baked. I put in the potatoes first. Drizzled them with olive oil and whichever spices I pick. Threw in celery and onions, yellow peppers and one stick of butter. Then I stirred it at an hour and then again 30 minutes later and at that time I added canned carrots, bag of cauliflower and today a can of green beans.
I told DH if he wants to be lazy he can throw the brats he thrawed on top of it.

We can have this as a side throughout the week.

A couple days late in sharing, but I made a pull apart Christmas tree. I cheated and used store bought puff pastry, but I made the cranberry curd filling from scratch as well as the orange bourbon glaze. They love doing these on the baking shows. I’m not sure why I was surprised that it was like a boozy and tart toaster strudel.

IMG_0455.jpeg
IMG_0422.jpeg
IMG_0421.jpeg
IMG_0419.jpeg

I need to ask...how does whipped shortbread compare to a more traditional shortbread? I usually opt for a standard shortbread instead of sugar cookies (we don't do a ton of cookies for the holidays). It's a dense cookie, but it holds its shape really well for rolling and cookie cutters. The recipe is essentially butter, granulated sugar, flour, and vanilla. The whipped shortbread recipes I'm seeing involve confectioners' sugar and cornstarch, in addition to flour and butter. Still, I'm always looking to try something new if it isn't too complicated, so I was curious.

I need to ask...how does whipped shortbread compare to a more traditional shortbread? I usually opt for a standard shortbread instead of sugar cookies (we don't do a ton of cookies for the holidays). It's a dense cookie, but it holds its shape really well for rolling and cookie cutters. The recipe is essentially butter, granulated sugar, flour, and vanilla. The whipped shortbread recipes I'm seeing involve confectioners' sugar and cornstarch, in addition to flour and butter. Still, I'm always looking to try something new if it isn't too complicated, so I was curious.
I am a big shortbread fan and often make that too. I find the overall taste similar but the texture is lighter and it almost dissolves in your mouth. It is easy to make and I think they look festive. I make the whipped shortbread, roll into one in balls then add the colored sugar/sprinkles. I let the dough sit overnight in the fridge and bake the next day. I find it holds the shape better if the dough is really cold. I also only bake mine for 15-16 minutes. This is the recipe I use. It makes a lot, sometimes I cut it in half.

Whipped shortbread

Sticky Toffee Pudding Cups. Been trying to get this right but its still missing some flavor I just cant figure out.
Maybe the issue is the dates - I see mentioned to use Medjool dates - not sure if that is it.
I am using Golden Syrup as well as molasses, but there is a tangy flavor that just seems to be missing.
I also added heath bar bits to the mix.
i did use recipies from UK\Ireland to no avail.
They are as good as what you get at whole foods, but nothing like the real thing in Ireland.

Sticky Toffee (6).jpg

You then fill the cups about half with a hot toffee caramel sauce and add fresh whipped cream.
Also more heath bar bits.
I may make clotted cream for the holiday.

This is what it looks like with fresh whipped cream:
Sticky Toffee (1).jpg

I am a big shortbread fan and often make that too. I find the overall taste similar but the texture is lighter and it almost dissolves in your mouth. It is easy to make and I think they look festive. I make the whipped shortbread, roll into one in balls then add the colored sugar/sprinkles. I let the dough sit overnight in the fridge and bake the next day. I find it holds the shape better if the dough is really cold. I also only bake mine for 15-16 minutes. This is the recipe I use. It makes a lot, sometimes I cut it in half.

Whipped shortbread

I think I'm going to try them along with my standard shortbread. Nothing overly complicated for either one and I think some would prefer the lighter texture cookie. I just bought sanding sugar and festive sprinkles for another project, so they can look festive. I dip my traditional shortbread in chocolate, but I think these may be better without.

Baked a diabetic-friendly birthday cake yesterday from a keto banana caramel mix. I was very happy with the results!
Would you mind sharing the recipe? I'd love to try to bake something like that when my sweet tooth hits. It doesn't hit very often but something like that sounds really good for when it does.

Would you mind sharing the recipe? I'd love to try to bake something like that when my sweet tooth hits. It doesn't hit very often but something like that sounds really good for when it does.
I bought this:
(Amazon link)
at Walmart, I think? ...followed the directions on the package except baked it in an 8 in square pan instead of a muffin tin. (I started with 25 minutes, checked with a toothpick, then needed to add a bit more time.) I used Sugar-free CoolWhip as the frosting.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter