What did you bake today ? OK if not from scratch

I'm making what my grandmother called Poor Man's Dish. Her large family ate it during the Depression. You layer tomato sauce (watered down a bit), sliced potatoes, sliced onions, a slice or two of bacon, and then cover it with slices of American cheese. Salt and pepper each layer until you reach the top of the baking dish. Cover with foil and bake for 1 hour at 350, then uncover and bake for another hour.

It was a way to eat lots of potatoes to fill you up with a little flavor. I think my family is the only one that makes this dish. At least I think so...there are probably many variants of it out there.
That casserole sounds good to me! I would probably add more bacon or ground beef to it though. Thanks for the recipe.

Today I am making a peach cobbler as a distraction. I have started stocking items for Thanksgiving dinner as they go on sale at the grocery, and I don’t want to get into any of the goodies I have stashed away.IMG_9626.jpeg

Last edited:
America's Test Kitchen's French Apple Cake turned out beautifully (photo taken before powdered sugar was dusted). It was appropriately apple-y and custard-y. Despite being heavy for its size, it's surprisingly light. I used rum instead of Calvados. This is a French Bistro-quality cake that's not difficult, and the apple flavor really shines.

1697761074929.jpeg

I just finished a batch of limoncello, which takes 25 days. The peels (no pith!) of 9 lemons are steeped in grain alcohol for 25 days, the peels are strained out, then mixed with simple syrup. I like giving these out as gifts during the holidays.

1699679299685.jpeg

1699679319987.jpeg

I just finished a batch of limoncello, which takes 25 days. The peels (no pith!) of 9 lemons are steeped in grain alcohol for 25 days, the peels are strained out, then mixed with simple syrup. I like giving these out as gifts during the holidays.
Would you mind sharing the recipe? I make infused vodka but have not tried limoncello and I would like to try making it. Thanks!

Earlier in the last few weeks I made and froze ricotta cookie dough. Giving half to elder sister and will bake my 3 dz Christmas month. Put a list together of ingredients still needed for holiday cookie making: anise extract, buttermilk and a fresh tin of cream of tartar. Most of the cookies will be for giveaway.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter