• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What did you bake today ? OK if not from scratch

No baking, or even cooking today (going to fast, partly for health but also to take a break). I had my daughter and her boyfriend over for outdoors Korean BBQ yesterday. We sat at separate tables, about 10 feet apart. I used kiwi instead of Asian pear in the marinade and learned that kiwi is much stronger. I marinated 4 hours instead of overnight, but it was still too long and the meat was a bit too soft.

Tomorrow is my elderly uncle's birthday. Planning on making and delivering a dinner with gooseberry pie for dessert. I only have 2 cups of frozen gooseberries, so it will be more of a large tart. I've never made or had a gooseberry pie, but he always talks about how great they are. He's from the midwest and apparently it used to be a common pie there. Wish me luck, lol!

Prepping two batches of scones tonight for tomorrow morning. Lemon/cranberry and buttery garlic fennel. Taking some to a dear British friend.
Realized I didn't have lemon, made orange/cranberry instead, they are baking now and smell divine...

Waiting to cook the savory scones until after lunch, going to enjoy the smell of cranberry for a little while longer, lol.

Every week I bake a batch of homemade soft pretzels (this may be my last week since I can’t seem to find any yeast :guilty:) and a new batch of maple cranberry granola.
How do you make your soft pretzels? I’ve been wanting to try my hand at making some. I’ve seen recipes that use malt syrup but I can’t seem to find it in smaller quantities.

The world's easiest banana bread, starts with a yellow cake mix. It's cheating a bit, but it's delicious and has that "from scratch" taste.

Ooooh, please share the recipe!

1 box yellow cake mix
4 or 5 overripe bananas
3 eggs
a splash of vanilla
chopped walnuts (optional)

Mash the bananas, dump all of the ingredients in a big bowl, use a mixer on medium speed for about 2-3 minutes. Fold in the nuts if you're using them. Pour into two loaf pans about halfway up each pan (use nonstick baking spray on the pans) and bake for 45-50 minutes at 350 or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Turn out of the pans while still warm.

Two tips: 1. Don't put the extra loaf in a ziplock bag to keep, it will get damp. Just cut a slice and put a piece of tinfoil over the cut end. But you can put it in a bag to freeze for later. 2. Reserve about a tablespoon of the cake mix if you're using nuts (or chocolate chips are good, too) and shake the nuts in a bag with the dry cake mix. It will keep them from sinking to the bottom of the loaf.

New to this thread. All I can say is I might have to have somebody take my flour away. In 8 weeks I have made 4 batches of cookies, chocolate cake, bread, pecan pie, 2 batches of biscuits, and muffins. All from scratch. I’m worried I might not fit out the door before too long!!😆

New to this thread. All I can say is I might have to have somebody take my flour away. In 8 weeks I have made 4 batches of cookies, chocolate cake, bread, pecan pie, 2 batches of biscuits, and muffins. All from scratch. I’m worried I might not fit out the door before too long!!😆
that sounds very productive and impressive to me!! Definitely a good time to get that baking bug goin :)

:goodvibes You're too modest! Focaccia is a big deal! :thumbsup2

No, seriously. This thing was the easiest recipe ever. It took about 5 minutes to mix BY HAND, 12 hours in the fridge; another 2 rising in the microwave (not turned on, just the door ajar to get the heat from the light), and then 30 minutes in the oven. I spent maybe 15 minutes total effort on it; 20 if you count clean up.

https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/easy-no-knead-focaccia

No, seriously. This thing was the easiest recipe ever. It took about 5 minutes to mix BY HAND, 12 hours in the fridge; another 2 rising in the microwave (not turned on, just the door ajar to get the heat from the light), and then 30 minutes in the oven. I spent maybe 15 minutes total effort on it; 20 if you count clean up.

https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/easy-no-knead-focaccia
:thumbsup2 Why on earth would you tell anybody that? In my world the story would translate to two solid days of work to make that bread. :laughing: You deserve more credit than your getting! ;)

Thanks for your candor and the recipe, though. I'm pretty bad with yeast dough but I'm going to give it a try. Do you have any idea if the recipe can be halved and how to use instant yeast? It's the only kind I've got in the pantry. TIA :wave2:

:thumbsup2 Why on earth would you tell anybody that? In my world the story would translate to two solid days of work to make that bread. :laughing: You deserve more credit than your getting! ;)

Thanks for your candor and the recipe, though. I'm pretty bad with yeast dough but I'm going to give it a try. Do you have any idea if the recipe can be halved and how to use instant yeast? It's the only kind I've got in the pantry. TIA :wave2:

I'm sorry. I have to also blow it for the creme brulee people. Those were easier to make than cake, LOL.

I only use instant yeast, so it is not a problem, and you can halve it without an issue. I usually put in a little more yeast than it calls for, about half a tsp extra. I didn't have honey, and just used sugar, and it wasn't a problem. Today, I skipped the 'raise in a bowl for 2 hours after pulling it from the fridge', and just went straight to 'putting it in the pan, then doing the 2 hour raise', and it worked great. Crispy on the outside and the inside was so soft.

I like to sprinkle kosher salt (sometimes I use coarse ground cornmeal, but I didn't want to open a bag just for that) on the bottom with the olive oil, then I top it with more kosher salt and Penzey's frozen pizza seasoning mix.

Yesterday was cosmic brownies and Millionaire's shortbread. Today is banana muffins and carrot cake.

The muffins get frozen and most of the other baked good will be dropped off to friends/colleagues.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter