• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What did you bake today ? OK if not from scratch

The weather has cooled off a bit, so DH requested baked goods. Banana bread jazz (i.e. riffing on the recipe with whatever I feel like putting in that day -- this time it was varying the spices and adding caramelized pecans) and raspberry pound cake. We'll see what I feel like baking next...

No baking, but I thought I would try to make Rice Krispie Treats. It didn’t seem sweet enough. Maybe I’ll try a different recipe.

I plan on making a s’mores pie this weekend.

Every week I bake a batch of homemade soft pretzels (this may be my last week since I can’t seem to find any yeast :guilty:) and a new batch of maple cranberry granola.

No baking, but I thought I would try to make Rice Krispie Treats. It didn’t seem sweet enough. Maybe I’ll try a different recipe.

I plan on making a s’mores pie this weekend.
This confuses me. :confused: I’ve never seen any recipe that calls for anything other than marshmallows, butter, vanilla and Rice Krispies. Not sure how to get them sweeter other than to up the marshmallow to cereal ratio.:confused3

We make a very sweet version of Rice Krispy treats that are a family favorite, called scotcheroos.

1 cup sugar
1 cup light corn syrup
1 cup smooth peanut butter
6 cups Rice Krispies
1 cup chocolate chips
1 cup butterscotch chips

Put the sugar and corn syrup in a very large saucepan and stir together. Cook over medium to medium high heat stirring frequently until it comes to a boil. Boil for one minute and take off the heat. Quickly stir in the peanut butter until mixture is smooth. Quickly stir in the Rice Krispies. Spread out mixture in a 9x13 pan. Do not press it down hard, just tap it down some to even out the top. Melt the chocolate chips and butterscotch chips together in a microwave safe bowl until completely melted and mixed together. Spread over top of the Rice Krispy mixture. Wait several hours for the chocolate mixture to set up before cutting. And from previous experience, do NOT try to quicken this process by putting them in the frig as it makes the Rice Krispy part way too hard. Learned that the hard way!

How did I miss this thread??? I have been posting on all the baking threads but seemed to have missed this one!!! I have been baking like a crazy woman but also eating a lot of it which is not good but I find it calming to bake.

Most recently (two days ago) I baked a cookie cake with homemade frosting.

And the two days before that I made a really yummy Cannoli Crumb Cake.

I wanted to post a pic of the cookie cake but all the icons are greyed out

MJ

Last edited:
This confuses me. :confused: I’ve never seen any recipe that calls for anything other than marshmallows, butter, vanilla and Rice Krispies. Not sure how to get them sweeter other than to up the marshmallow to cereal ratio.:confused3

I used the original receipt and it didn’t include vanilla, so I must try again with vanilla extract.

I did add in brownies with lots of add ins

Duncan Hines Fudge Brownie Mix
I used 3 eggs for the cake batter recipe on the box
Now my add ins:
extra 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda so I did not weigh down the recipe
Then I chopped up in my Nija......
1/2 cup nuts - cashews, almonds and pecans
3/4 cup unsweetened coconut flakes

Mix it all together - then added 1/2 up semi-sweet chocolate chips

The batter was a bit on the thick side (I guess because of all the nuts and coconut) , so I
added 2 ounces of orange juice

They came out so delicious :)

What did you bake ?
Want to share your recipe or add ins to a cake box ideas ?

I have not found a from scratch brownie recipe that I really enjoy....I find the Duncan Hines Brownie Mix to be good but I change it up a bit....I add two boxes to the mixing bowl but the same amount of eggs and oil for one box. I add enough water so the batter is not too stiff. I also will add either walnuts or chocolate chips or even some leftover coffee to give it flavor boost. I bake in a 9x11 pan and they come out nice and chewy, not cakey.

I finally fixed my icons so I post pics again. Here is a pic of my cookie cake that I made the other day and Mickey Stained Glass cookies from a few weeks ago. Need to bake something this weekend.

Chocolate chip walnut cookies from scratch to bring to our son's family this afternoon (just had a new baby this week!).

Congrats on the new baby in the family

No baking today.
The family voted ice cream after the barbecue today.
Tomorrow I will be doing mini muffins for the grand kids again......deciding between apple cinnamon and lemon poppy seed

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter