• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What did you bake today ? OK if not from scratch

Jealous of the people with ripe bananas. I have bananas ripening, and want to make banana cream pie for Mother's Day. Some for us, and a personal sized one for my stepmom (my dad is allergic to eggs, so she's better off with a small version). But . . . it's looking more and more like I'll be making some sort of lemon tart. I have tons of bananas and lemons, so it was one or the other.

Be VERY attentive while you are browning the butter. It goes from perfectly browned to burned in NO TIME. Once the butter starts bubbling/simmering, swirl the pan constantly. As soon as the milk solids turn LIGHT golden brown, pull it off the heat and immediately dump into a heat resistant bowl to stop the cooking process. Also, melt the butter in a pan with a light colored bottom (like stainless steel). You can't brown butter in a dark colored pan, or you will not be able to tell when it's browned.

Thanks for the tips! I have a white pan so that should help. The browning part definitely has me worried. Will it be obvious if I burn it? I don't want to proceed with the cookies if the butter is no good.

Does it count if I went to a Bakery?!?!
Very long story short, 50 minute drive to Costco was a waste of time, so on my way back home I stopped halfway at a bakery that is wonderful, and I loaded up on a dozen different doughnuts, a giant cream puff and a small key lime pie for moi!

Thanks for the tips! I have a white pan so that should help. The browning part definitely has me worried. Will it be obvious if I burn it? I don't want to proceed with the cookies if the butter is no good.

It will smell bad. You'll know if you burn it. You won't if you keep the heat controlled. Use medium heat, not high.

we were lucky to snag up some yeast before things went insane (late feb) and have been learning how to make bread / rolls from scratch! Recently made some cloverleaf yeast rolls that turned out really well. Things are kind of a mess right now, but at least I've got that going for me!

Made banana bread today. Like to bake a lot and from scratch cooking. More effort but a lot healthier too.

Made Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies today. Used the Toll House recipe but subbed flax eggs and used Earth Balance vegan buttery sticks. I swear most things you wouldn't even know they were vegan.

Made lemon squares tonight.
In the last few weeks we’ve made cookies, Mickey beignets, Disneyland churro bites, Cafe Orlean’s pomme frittes, lemon cake twice, apple crisp and DD’s boyfriend has porch dropped cookies and cupcakes.

Thankfully our new treadmill arrives Tuesday!

:cake: So today I did bake something! A birthday cake for a friend's mother who turns 85 tomorrow. A popular thing here right now is the "Birthday Drive-By". Our city Fire Department cruises by with a ladder truck and the firefighters honk and wave (for old people and little kids only). There's apparently about 20 other cars that will be in the parade too, all decorated, to wish her well. :goodvibes

A popular thing here right now is the "Birthday Drive-By". Our city Fire Department cruises by with a ladder truck and the firefighters honk and wave (for old people and little kids only). There's apparently about 20 other cars that will be in the parade too, all decorated, to wish her well. :goodvibes
I think this is so cool. They have been doing it around here too. I think it is an awesome way for little kids and our seniors to still feel special. Unfortunately, they have been expressed banned in one area (Santa Clara County, Ca) as they are considered gatherings.

I think this is so cool. They have been doing it around here too. I think it is an awesome way for little kids and our seniors to still feel special. Unfortunately, they have been expressed banned in one area (Santa Clara County, Ca) as they are considered gatherings.
:confused: What kind of gathering could it possibly be if nobody gets out of their vehicles? This is the kind of weird, illogical application of restrictions that's really wearing me down. :(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter