What days to tip Mousekeeping

Status
Not open for further replies.
One time we had a lovely lady who would leave animals crafted with face cloths and the smaller guest towels, we knew straight away when she was off as the room was done differently if that makes sense. I felt really bad so left an envelope at reception I just didn't want her to think we didn't appreciate the gifts she left. Hence why I now leave something every couple of days to take into account staff rotation. We are usually there for 2 weeks.
This is why people that tip do so every day. We don’t know the rotation and some times it could be a different person every day. We stay 2 weeks also

We tip $5 per day, and more on the day we leave. We are very neat, but we always consider that others are not, and Mousekeepers (like all housekeeping staffs) have to do some pretty yucky things on a regular basis. It's a concrete way for us to respect the work they do everywhere and not just in our room.

Stayed at the Ft. Wilderness Cabins for the first time - 3 of us. We're all adults and do our best to clean up after ourselves.

First night didn't leave a tip. When we got back to the room everything was so clean, the few dishes we used (and rinsed off) were in the dishwasher, a few additional soaps and even our little "bar" area straightened up. So we left $5 each night and $15 on our check out day.

We did not feel the need to reduce the tip because of the new company policy. The mousekeepers didn't come up with it and as long as they do a great job I'm pleased to tip them.

We have 3 adults in a room when we stay at WDW. We leave $10.00 a day for a tip.

This is accurate. You may occasionally get a rogue Mousekeeper that might still do some, but more often than not they are a thing of the past.

I must have had one of those rogues on my Pop trip last month, because there were two days where I had towel animals. I was very surprised, since I knew they weren't doing that much anymore. I do keep my room pretty tidy, so she probably didn't have much to clean up those days.

Housekeeping may not be a tipped position, but having applied for work at Disney, and knowing what the starting pay is for housekeepers (and how hard they work and the messes they encounter) I certainly don't begrudge them a tip. They are some of the hardest working and least appreciated CM's in my opinion.

Since Disney considers housekeeping to be a non-tipped position, we don't tip them unless we require extra assistance from them. We just try to make their job easier when we check out by stripping the beds, gathering up the trash and towels.

Anyone have advice on how to tip for a dvc room? I think they come on the 4th and 7th day? Thanks!

Anyone have advice on how to tip for a dvc room? I think they come on the 4th and 7th day? Thanks!
No, if you are there for seven nights or less, you get towels replaced and trash removed on day four. If you stay eight nights or more, you get a full cleaning on day four and trash removed and towels replaced on day eight. But now they also come every day to remove the trash (or spy on you, whatever you want to think they are doing). There is no need to tip on a DVC reservation unless they do extra for you and you'll be paying for those extras anyway. It's a timeshare, not a hotel.

Haven't had a towel animal in years here. Maybe someone else has had a different experience--but we used to get them every trip, even though I know they weren't "required." Yet we loved getting them. I have a couple on my dresser at home--the mousekeeper assured us we could take them home. BTW, I also upped the tip amount a couple years ago, same as you.
So sad to read they don’t do towel animals anymore. :( We always tipped daily & came back to awesome towel animals & stuffed animal displays.

We tip $5 a day. I have special envelopes that I made up just for Mousekeeping. Tip I got from an earlier board was to stash small bills in the envelopes during the year so I'm not looking for bills at the last moment. $1 here and there till the envelopes have at lest $5 in them. On our last two stays we had towel animals at the Poly and GF. First day I request extra shampoo, coffee and towels. Always come back to enough for an army. It's just the two of us so we really don't make a mess.

Haven't had a towel animal in years here. Maybe someone else has had a different experience--but we used to get them every trip, even though I know they weren't "required." Yet we loved getting them. I have a couple on my dresser at home--the mousekeeper assured us we could take them home. BTW, I also upped the tip amount a couple years ago, same as you.

So sad to read they don’t do towel animals anymore. :( We always tipped daily & came back to awesome towel animals & stuffed animal displays.

I originally posted this last year, but feel the need to repost every once in a while to clarify some things.

My aunt was a housekeeper at WDW for 14 years andrecently retired. The towel animals were always meant for guests to take home if they wanted. Therefore, the towels that the housekeepers used to make the animals were towels that were going to be taken outof "service" due to fraying, looking ragged etc. That's why they were not always left for guests becausethere had to be some that were going to be "retired". Not only did there need to be towels available to be made into animals, the housekeeper had to have thetime to make them up. They were always meant to be something special, not expected. And as guests started complaining (and there were a TON) that they"are paying $$$ for the room" or "tipping $$$ and not getting towels animals every day", they have decided to stop the practice. Though there still are somehousekeepers that enjoy doing it so much that theywill still do it. But as a whole, they are not encouraged to any longer. So if you do get some, enjoy. But don'texpect them.

I originally posted this last year, but feel the need to repost every once in a while to clarify some things.

My aunt was a housekeeper at WDW for 14 years andrecently retired. The towel animals were always meant for guests to take home if they wanted. Therefore, the towels that the housekeepers used to make the animals were towels that were going to be taken outof "service" due to fraying, looking ragged etc. That's why they were not always left for guests becausethere had to be some that were going to be "retired". Not only did there need to be towels available to be made into animals, the housekeeper had to have thetime to make them up. They were always meant to be something special, not expected. And as guests started complaining (and there were a TON) that they"are paying $$$ for the room" or "tipping $$$ and not getting towels animals every day", they have decided to stop the practice. Though there still are somehousekeepers that enjoy doing it so much that theywill still do it. But as a whole, they are not encouraged to any longer. So if you do get some, enjoy. But don'texpect them.
That is really awful and mind boggling that people were complaining about not getting towel animals.

I know I am in the minority but I decided to put in my opinion. We never used to tip housekeeping at any hotel. We didn't know it was a thing until we went to WDW in 2002. As I was doing research we discovered that people actually tip their housekeepers at hotels/motels. My parents certainly never did that. So now we tip $1/person per day, last trip we tipped $3/day for the two of us. I don't tip on check out because I expect that service with the cost of my room on check in. The housekeepers job is to strip the beds and clean the room in between guests. I have tried tipping more to see if I got better service and it has never worked for me. I also have not tipped at other hotels and the room was just as clean as if I did tip. So the way I see it whether I leave a tip or not doesn't seem to really reflect the service I receive. I leave a small tip because I appreciate what they do and I know they don't make a lot of money.

Just something to ponder for those that leave large tips. If everyone leaves $5-10 for mousekeeping for a neat room with only 2 people in it that is the equivalent of an extra $15 dollars an hour in addition to their current salary which is probably more than minimum wage because they are in a union. It takes about 15-20 mins to clean a neat room, which means they can do 3-4 rooms an hour. If the room is messy or needs more attention because of a large group it would take longer and they wouldn't be able to do at least 3 rooms an hour. That would warrant a larger tip IMHO.

I also don't feel it is my job to make up for people who don't tip at all. I don't give my waitress, driver, bell person or anyone else I tip extra to make up for what others don't do. I do believe in tipping for service above and beyond what is expected. I have just never seen that at WDW yet. I keep hoping that one day my DH and I will get some of this "pixie dust" we keep hearing about on this board. If and when I do I will tip extra, tell their boss and post it here.

With all respect I just don't get it. How did tipping a room cleaner become so popular and why do people feel the need to do so because others do it? We don't tip the bathroom cleaner in the parks, the bus driver, other people that are paid to do their job. Do you get paid a tip for doing your job? Disney and the housekeepers union realize that they may have a tough job so they raised their pay so that all housekeepers would get more money and not just some. In exchange it become a non-tipped position in their contract. While many do a good job, we often find our rooms poorly cleaned and with maintenance issues. Twice we entered our room to find the housekeeper(s) sitting on the sofa watching TV.

:earsboy: Bill

With all respect I just don't get it. How did tipping a room cleaner become so popular and why do people feel the need to do so because others do it? We don't tip the bathroom cleaner in the parks, the bus driver, other people that are paid to do their job. Do you get paid a tip for doing your job? Disney and the housekeepers union realize that they may have a tough job so they raised their pay so that all housekeepers would get more money and not just some. In exchange it become a non-tipped position in their contract. While many do a good job, we often find our rooms poorly cleaned and with maintenance issues. Twice we entered our room to find the housekeeper(s) sitting on the sofa watching TV.

Bill, is what you are posting a fact? It is definitely very interesting to know. I guess next time I go to WDW I won't tip. Not everyone does. Like I said in my PP I never knew it was a thing until I was 40 years old. I never tipped prior to that. I would tip the delivery person if I called down for extra towels or pillows. I have never found tipping has gotten me anything extra from housekeeping. You have really opened my eyes but I think we are in the minority here. BTW, I am a Physical Therapist and we can't accept tips.

While I understand and respect those who do no tip, I tip for a simple reason the 1st job I had at age 14 was working as a car hop for 1.50 an hour plus tips. I never got over that and I do tip a lot at places that don't require it. I made the girls laugh at BBB when I tried. My daughter speaks Spanish and tends to talk to them and I have noticed better cleaning (we do $5 a day) and on the last one we had tower animals every day but one.

I've never found one sitting watching TV. But I did have one stand outside of our door for 45 minutes.

Bill, is what you are posting a fact? It is definitely very interesting to know. I guess next time I go to WDW I won't tip. Not everyone does. Like I said in my PP I never knew it was a thing until I was 40 years old. I never tipped prior to that. I would tip the delivery person if I called down for extra towels or pillows. I have never found tipping has gotten me anything extra from housekeeping. You have really opened my eyes but I think we are in the minority here. BTW, I am a Physical Therapist and we can't accept tips.

It's a fact according to their contract which is available via a web search. In addition if they finish their section early, they get to leave work early with pay. Maybe that is why some of the rooms could use some extra attention.

I'm not saying do not tip, I just don't understand why humans do certain things. :confused3

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter