• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

what constitutes a bag for the bag check entrance?

123GUSGUS

Earning My Ears
I always try not to bring a bag ,but does a small zipper phone wristlet ( scout brand) count as a bag.

Generally yes - although on occasion you may be allowed through the no bag line where they will ask you to open it an check inside.

That's what DD carries. Her results during an 8 day trip was about half and half. Half let her through the no bag line when the saw it was noting more than a phone and an ID and half sent her over to the bag check link

I've been sent to bag check for having a leather case that's form fit to my small mirrorless camera.

If you have a small wristlet or phone case that might get sent through bag check, just stick it in your pocket.

No sense in waiting in line for a tiny wristlet so I always just still the wifes wristlet in my pocket.

If you have a small wristlet or phone case that might get sent through bag check, just stick it in your pocket.

No sense in waiting in line for a tiny wristlet so I always just still the wifes wristlet in my pocket.

Me too.

Same here. But on the last trip with DD, DH didn't go. Usually I do stick small things in his pockets. He complains, jokingly, that he's not our pack mule

I always try not to bring a bag ,but does a small zipper phone wristlet ( scout brand) count as a bag.

it MIGHT depend on the security person you pass and you might get away with not counting a phone wristlet as a bag, but you shouldn't count on it. I saw people get moved from the no bag line to the bag check line when they were carrying one. I'd say plan to go thru bag check.

Same here. But on the last trip with DD, DH didn't go. Usually I do stick small things in his pockets. He complains, jokingly, that he's not our pack mule
I did that on my last trip with my husband. He wore cargo shorts and we stuck the small water resistent bag (holds around 2 cellphone-not side to side though, ids, cards) and went through the no bag line. When we were on rides I would have him put it in his shorts as well but the rest of the day I carried it. I just reminded him of all the times he put stuff in my purse :D

Lately, they are doing a lot more scanning of people in the no bag line (some days and times it's everyone) and people ahve been sent back to the bag line with anything that could be considered a bag (including women with small change purses).

If they think it's a bag, they will just tell you to go to the other line.

I had a phone sized wristlet once and was sent to bag check. From then on, I stuck it in my back pocket.

Keep in mind if you go through the no bag line, you will be directed to the metal detectors and sometimes a secondary screening with the wane. We just returned from a 16 day trip and while I generally went through the bag check with having to go through the metal detector 7 out of 10 times, my husband went through the no bag line and went through the metal detector every single time with 50% of the times having to be checked with a hand held wane. He was getting pretty sick if it by the end of the trip since each time they would say it was random, he did comment that they didn't know what the word random meant. We are both in our 60s and it took a lot of time every day, often twice a day if we returned in the evening. My husband said he was starting to glow. It was definitely profiling going on as we noticed they only took adults with no kids. I started to hold my granddaughters hand just to not get pulled out each visit. By the end of our trip we just stopped going to the parks and just hung at the pool. The worse parks were AK and MK. It always took us up to 30 minutes in the mornings to get through all the lines. At AK my daughter and I would stand in the bag lines with our tiny crossover bags and the guys would take the granddaughters through the no bag lines and they would go to the park without us. At AK they had already rode primeval whirl twice and was on tri ceratops by the time we got through the bag line, then a huge line for the turnstile before we met them in dinoland.

Keep in mind if you go through the no bag line, you will be directed to the metal detectors and sometimes a secondary screening with the wane. We just returned from a 16 day trip and while I generally went through the bag check with having to go through the metal detector 7 out of 10 times, my husband went through the no bag line and went through the metal detector every single time with 50% of the times having to be checked with a hand held wane. He was getting pretty sick if it by the end of the trip since each time they would say it was random, he did comment that they didn't know what the word random meant. We are both in our 60s and it took a lot of time every day, often twice a day if we returned in the evening. My husband said he was starting to glow. It was definitely profiling going on as we noticed they only took adults with no kids. I started to hold my granddaughters hand just to not get pulled out each visit. By the end of our trip we just stopped going to the parks and just hung at the pool. The worse parks were AK and MK. It always took us up to 30 minutes in the mornings to get through all the lines. At AK my daughter and I would stand in the bag lines with our tiny crossover bags and the guys would take the granddaughters through the no bag lines and they would go to the park without us. At AK they had already rode primeval whirl twice and was on tri ceratops by the time we got through the bag line, then a huge line for the turnstile before we met them in dinoland.

I also suggested that they look up the word random, because I was picked more often than not, late 60's female, only with a phone case. My worse park was DHS.

I would suggest going thru the bag line. I used to carry something similar and kept getting told in the bag check line that I shouldn't be there. One day at DHS I decided to go thru the no bag line. I got stopped by the guard and tried explaining to her what happened the day before at AK (I had been told I shouldn't be going thru the bag check line). I thought she said go ahead, so I started walking forward. The guard proceeded to push me and demand I go into the bag check line. I went to customer service as soon as I got into the park and explained what had just happened. The head of security at the park suggested going forth that I should just use always use the bag check line every time I was carrying any type of bag in.

Agreed on the use of the word "random." Just got back yesterday and there were definitely some patterns in who was being chosen. It might be easier to have everyone go through the detectors and then just pull out people to not screen. It was difficult to tell if they were talking to you or someone else when pulling folks at "random." Security is so important, but Disney could definitely be clearer.

Getting picked a lot doesn't mean it's not random. It's statistics - heads you get picked, tails you don't. You get a 50/50 chance each time to get picked or not. It has nothing to do with the last time, or the time after. Each event is a singular, individual event.

I'd be interested in the 'patterns'.

My wristlet is smaller than DH's wallet which is allowed in the no bag line. The only difference is the strap on my wristlet. If he can go through with his wallet and phone I can't see why I'd have to do the bag check either. I always put my wristlet in my pocket and skip bag check and have never been stopped and made to go through the check line. When I've had to go through the metal detectors (which seems to happen fairly often) I just pull my wristlet out and put it in the tray with my phone. It has never been a problem in any way.

The whole process seems kind of silly to me. DH always wears cargo shorts with several huge pockets. He could (and has) cart almost anything you could put into a bag into those things.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter