What can 13 and 11 year old do that is special?

disneyluv4

Mouseketeer
My 7 year old is going to do the pirate cruise at the GF for his 8th b-day while we are there. My 13 ds and 11 dd, want to do something special that is just for them. Any suggestions?
We will be there from Aug 1-12. And we have bought the PAP vouchers. Staying at POR.
Thanks!!

My DS is turning 9 on our July vacation and doing the Pirate Cruise on July 8th. I was planning on taking my DD who is 12 1/2 to get her hair braided at the GF Pool Area. That would make her feel pretty special considering her little brother is celebrating his b-day in WDW and then taking a Pirate Cruise.

What about Disney Quest? I don't know if you would be comfortable leaving them there together or not but I know a lot of teens and tweens do that. That would be something for them both. Bet the DD would love the hair thing or a spa treatment.

Jordan's mom

I second that on DQ! My DS who will turn 12 on this trip will be spending an afternoon in DQ with his 10 year old friend WITHOUT grownups!!!! They both are so excited to do this; it will be his first time doing something like this without a boring parent hanging around.

We are giving them a two way radio (I know it is noisy, but give them a set time to start listening for us) to let them know we are outside and ready for them to exit. We plan on giving them at least 6 hours there before we call them. We also will give them Dad's cell phone number and change to make a call for emergency.

Another vote for DQ ! My dd's ages 15 and 10 designed their own roller coaster and bought the video tape of them actually on the roller coaster ! I wasnt there and they surprised me with it as a Christmas present last year. It is hysterical ! Has to be one of the best gifts I have ever received and we love watching it over and over. It is something special that just the 2 of them did together. And the tape is something they will allways have.

How safe do you feel leaving them at DQ alone? My Dh doesn't like the idea. BTW, our boys will 15 and 12 when we go.

There is one way to get in and out of DQ. I feel safe letting my DS spend an afternoon in there with his friend. They are both old enough to know what to do with stranger safety, they will have phone numbers in their pockets on how to reach us and know what a CM looks like for problems. We are also giving them one of our two way radios with strict rules to stick together.

I have taken DS to DQ twice before and have sat on the fourth floor in the lounge area by the cheesecake factory while DS plays games. I think I can now trust him and his friend to be fine on this upcoming trip. They both are thrilled to finally be doing something like this without a boring parent around.

Thanks Kathy - I'm convinced. Now if I could just convince my DH and maybe we would be able to steal a few hours alone.

Anyway, DQ gives me a bad headache with the noise! I am not good with video games (the last one I played well was Centipede) and I am even more thrilled not to have to spend an afternoon in DQ this year!!!!

I just had an idea for added safety; I will give him my cell phone, too, so we can call each other for emergencies. DH will carry his and we can contact each other in case the two way radios have too much static and noise.

19 days to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D

Thanks about your suggestions! We thought about DQ but I did not know if I felt comfortable enough. We do have 2 way radios we could give them. Then I could go shopping, they hate it when I get into the World of Disney store, I love it there. My DH would probably rather go with them!! He loves arcades! Thanks again.

Shopping at Downtown Disney with no kids? What a wonderful idea! Ship DH with children for an afternoon at DQ! Shop to your heart's content! Plan on them needing at least 4 hours in there to do everything depending on the time of year. Make sure DH gets you a piece of the Cheesecake Factory's cheesecake before they leave! YUM!

How about renting a water mouse boat for the 13 year old to drive( and the 11 year old can be his passenger)? You must be 12 years old to drive a sprite boat. Of course, you or your spouse would want to take another boat out to follow them around to make sure they're safe. This is the all time favorite activity for my kids.

AZKathy,
Would'nt that be great! To not have someone at my heels saying "are you about done?" I think I will do that!

Belle5,
Believe it or not we have already planned that! That is all my 13 year old plans on. But we plannned on taking our then 8 year old too.

I even thought of parasailing for the 2 of them, they are my daredevils! But I do not know if I want to spend that kind of money this time. We have already spent ALOT with getting the PAP and all.

Thanks again for ALL of your ideas!

The hair braiding at GF Pool. is that like Bo Derek braids or the braid with string in it?
Thanks
Sharon

How do you know there is only one entrance to DQ? I know there is only one way for the public to enter legally, but there must be other entrances for CMs or emergency exits or something, right?

I am not doubting you (you may actually know and I certainly do not). And I am not saying kids that age won't be find at DQ, I think they will. But I am courious to know how many entrances there really are there. I also think that Disney would take every precaution to make it hard to enter any other way because 1- they don't want people getting in without paying and 2 - and I think safety is a big issue with Disney.

I am asking this also because I am presented with somewhat of the same delima just on a different scale. My kids 11 & 8 love the Honey I Shrunk the Kids Adventure Zone. In past years (our last visit they were 9 & 7) we went in with them and tried to follow them around. But honestly, I really dislike that place! We adults are too large to do all the stuff (and who wants to get in the way of a kid having fun) but it is impossible to stand anywhere in there and see much of anything! In AK you can see more of the playground. Anyway, I am debating on letting them go in and play and hubby & I sitting outside and enjoying a break. But I keep thinking...."how many back doors are there to that thing that I don't know about?"

I guess you guys will think I am some kinda nut.....

I am sure there are a lot of back doors/emergency exits, but the way you get in is through an elevator. I have been in there twice with DS, and I have lost him twice when I sat down and surfed the net while he went and did that comic book virtual reality thing. There are stairs, elevators, it is darkened and I found it difficult to remember where I had been when I started looking for him. I did not feel as if he left the building, though. I just knew he was right where he was supposed to be and I just got lost myself!

Every parent has his/her comfort zone with kids going solo and I certainly would not allow my child to do a solo trip there if I had any reservations about the situation. I am comfortable with DS doing this adventure; believe me, we will be right in DD the entire time he and his friend are doing DQ! Both kids are quite familiar with the layout in DQ, too. They will have a two way radio and a cell phone, too. I am honestly looking forward NOT having to go into DQ again! I really gives me a headache with the noise and light levels or something! I just will miss that scrumpcious cheesecake, though!!!!!:D

(I can't stand the Honey I Shrunk the Kids playground, either!!!!) And you are not a nut!!! :D :D :D :D

My parents let us do that when i just turned 12 and my bro was almost 11. Its very safe and theres plenty to do. In fact every room theres a cast member. I laugh know because we thought we were so big but we really werent.

This is a bit older thread and you probably have your plans already, but when my 2 dd's were on the Pirate Cruise, my 11 yr. old dd had a "First Facial" at the GF spa. She had one complaint, though. She would have rather had the "real" facial, not just a limited knockoff of the real one!!! She had a wonderful time there; they treated her like a princess. If we had a boy, I'm sure the watermouse would be our choice. GF also has a cooking thing for kids - I think your dd falls into the age range. My dd preferred the spa treatment.

I second the water mice. On our honeymoon we rented them for an hour and had such a blast. Its like a mini speed boat, and you get to explore the lake and see things up close which you wouldnt otherwise.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter