What book changed your life?

When Breath Becomes Air is an amazing book. I work with physician residency accreditation, and our office had us all read it.

Another more recent book that has changed my life is Being Mortal by Atul Gawande. It's helped me work with my parents who are aging, and my father who is ill.

Growing up, the first book that made me cry (5th grade) was Sasha, My Friend by Barbara Corcoran.

It's difficult to say that a certain book has changed my life, I don't think of it that way.

The books I've read, the experiences I've had, relationships I've gained and lost - they've all made me who I am. Grapes of Wrath is always, always a good one. Any Steinbeck, really. Although I think my favorite of his is The Moon is Down. Excellent and a pretty short one (especially compared to the Grapes of Wrath!).

I've also recently read:
The Children's Blizzard
The Secret Life of Addie LaRue
Artic Fury

Highly recommend any of these. Great books.

When Breath Becomes Air is an amazing book. I work with physician residency accreditation, and our office had us all read it.

Another more recent book that has changed my life is Being Mortal by Atul Gawande. It's helped me work with my parents who are aging, and my father who is ill.

Growing up, the first book that made me cry (5th grade) was Sasha, My Friend by Barbara Corcoran.

Right? When breath becomes air is SO good.
I'm a grown a_ _ man and I was in tears reading at the end.
I think any book that makes you cry is special... I plan on reading it again soon because it made me feel so good, it brought out deep, raw feelings inside me I didn't know I had.

I will read Being Mortal - read a few reviews in Amazon and it sounds so good.

Thank you!

I really can't pin down one book. I have some fiction books I like, some I even collect, but they're not life-changing in the way you mean.

If I had to choose, I'd say Viktor Frankl's Man's Search for Meaning. I heard it mentioned in the 90's by a speaker, so I found a copy, and the content still rings true today.

Dibs, in Search of Self by Virginia M. Axline

How Children Fail by John Holt

...They challenge conventional perspectives (that still persist) on child development, education and potential --- and, as a result, changed my perspective on human development, education and potential, as well.

I read Jane Eyre in high school as part of summer required reading and was absolutely gripped by the story. It sparked a love for the classics that continues today. I wish I could go back in time and tell my teachers how much I loved what we read, everyone else acted like it was torture so I kept quiet about it.

The second being the one directed by Angelina Jolie? I loved that movie
Do you remember if the book is well written?
I ask because there are so many great stories like Zamperini's but sometimes it's the wrong writer telling them... if a book doesn't capture me early by the quality of writing I struggle to finish it or sometimes just give up.
Jolie was a neighbor and friend, so she produced her movie based on that relationship. as a result she practiced "Cancel culture " and was largely boycotted. , the second movie was produced to be more true to Laura Hillenbrand book and was accepted by the community for which the movie was produced. Hillenbrand wrote Seabusict and one other book....but she has been sick for a long time, which is a shame, because boths books were great!!!

I recomend John Krakauer I have liked all this books

It's difficult to say that a certain book has changed my life, I don't think of it that way.

The books I've read, the experiences I've had, relationships I've gained and lost - they've all made me who I am. Grapes of Wrath is always, always a good one. Any Steinbeck, really. Although I think my favorite of his is The Moon is Down. Excellent and a pretty short one (especially compared to the Grapes of Wrath!).

I've also recently read:
The Children's Blizzard
The Secret Life of Addie LaRue
Artic Fury

Highly recommend any of these. Great books.
Interesting...Steinbeck gets lost in the fury of Faulkner, Hemminway and Fitzgerald and Iin my graduate work no one taught his books. I taught The Pearl to freshmen and The REd Pony. James Dean east of eden imovie is shown to Americna lit high school juniors. Travels with charlie inspired me to read William Least heat moon Blue HIghways and Peter jenkisn walk across america ...so I guess those 3 authors changed my life in respect to that I journal and write expository travel letters to my pen pals. Bill Bryson is the current morden marvel of travel expository and love his books!!!!

There is a difference between changing my life and watching a movie the rest of my life. I could watch Animal House, or Airplane, or Blazing Saddles or Young Frankenstein the rest of my life, but it wouldn't change my life, it would entertain me.
I did not care for Network. Someone's pipe dream of what TV News was like. Now, Broadcast News, that's different. But it didn't change my life, because if portray my work life. It was an accurate portrayal.
thank you....I always find your contributions interesting and significant and always curious to what makes a contributor tick....would have never guessed your list of movies however ...sas a literature teacher I always found movies to be illustrative of life rather than entertaining...which is the rub that brother in law and I have over movies....he likes to be entertained, I like to outline movies. anyhow, Blade Runner 1983 is my go to movie and along With Cpt Orr, Bernard Malumads Roy Hobbs I add Riddly Scott Roy Batty to how view life and those around me.....those fictional characters have changed my view of adults around me. and by the way, this my last posts of the spring....in oregon for 45 or more days....no computer or phone.

I recomend John Krakauer I have liked all this books
I enjoyed his books too. I haven't read them all but now Im going to.
As as aside, Jons father was a gastroenterologist. He was able to correctly diagnose me back when I was 20 when other docs were telling me I was faking it. Dr Krakauer's exam rooms always had a few family pictures on the wall of them hiking, mountain climbing, being on the top of glaciers etc. It was definitely something the whole family was into. ::yes::

I enjoyed his books too. I haven't read them all but now Im going to.
As as aside, Jons father was a gastroenterologist. He was able to correctly diagnose me back when I was 20 when other docs were telling me I was faking it. Dr Krakauer's exam rooms always had a few family pictures on the wall of them hiking, mountain climbing, being on the top of glaciers etc. It was definitely something the whole family was into. ::yes::
...........okay now I know what Silver Saucer means.......and as for faking it...my young nephew with family history is not getting help. You also might want to explore Bruce Feiler books ...do not be put off by the titles...he is a great historian and the only author /same book I have read 3 times. His adam and eve book is fantastic and should be pre-marriage reading.

Childrens Book: Amy The Dancing Bear by Carly Simon (my favorite book from my childhood. I could get lost in the illustrations and the flow of the book is just so calming and beautiful.)

Teen Book: The Book Thief (WAY better than the movie, but man this one grabbed me and wouldn't let go and it still hasn't)

Adult Book: The Radium Girls (really made me appreciate non fiction because WOW, this reads like a mystery thriller)

Audio Book: Scowler by Daniel Kraus (oh man oh man, this one messed me UUUUP)

Being Mortal was a fabulous book. It really made me think about the questions we ask aging and ill people.

Rachel Carson's Silent Spring.

Now, this one for me as well in a very practical way. All of my home care and gardening has been impacted by reading this many years ago.

Same holds true for Adele Davis’s “Let’s Eat Right to Keep Fit.” They say a lot of her nutrition theories are outdated, but I read that book when I was about 16 and there hasn’t been a day since that I haven’t eaten all the food groups and had all the colors in my diet. Huge practical impact.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter