• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What are your top two off site hotels?

monana

when you wish upon a star..
What are your top two off site properties to stay at when visiting DL? and why?

What are your top two off site properties to stay at when visiting DL? and why?

Best Western Park Place Inn and Mini Suites is my first choice. The motel is only okay; the rooms are dated looking, but the location is one of the best. It's directly across from the main entrance on Harbor. For that reason alone, it's my top choice. It also comes with breakfast (not a big deal, but it's nice). The staff has always been fine and helpful.

My next choice is the Fairfield Inn. It's a little further away, but the rooms are a little nicer. Parking is kind of tough, but it's not a deal killer.

Hojo is our favorite. It's a little further walk and no free breakfast, but we just feel so comfortable there. I actually sleep well on the beds. I like the interior corridors versus the motel feel. Parking is free. The rooms are very clean. The staff is friendly and helpful.

Our second choice is probably Candy Cane Inn. It's a well-kept property with a decent continental breakfast and free parking. The walk is no further than Hojo, just from the oppostie direction, and there's even a dedicated free shuttle if you need it. We haven't stayed at the Candy Cane for quite a while though since I usually find Hojo a better value for our family. The Candy Cane rooms are small, and the beds aren't nearly as comfortable to me. I have also had more noisy experiences there than Hojo.

Hojo's is our favorite. We love the property, the beds, the fact that its a hotel and not a motel, the kid pool area and the friendly staff. Always our first coice!

Our second choice is Desert Inn & Suites. The location is awesome and if you book far enough in advance you can get some really good rates. Rooms are clean and provide everything we need.

I have different requirements than most people. I like a comfortable room and space.

My choices are usually Residence Inn Maingate, Fairfield Inn, and Anaheim Hilton. (Candy Cane is there too.) The beds are comfy, rooms look nice, staff are friendly, and parking is decent. We are in the room a little more than most and do enjoy more of a vacation feel.

I've done the others on the Harbor, but as I have gotten older, I am willing to pay more for a good bed and nice room.

Anabella and Ramada Plaza (not maingate, oh gracious NOT maingate).

Anabella's grounds are gorgeous, the pool is pretty (I haven't had a chance to use the grownup's pool though, since DS is always with us!), the people are nice.

Ramada Plaza is a hotel, they accommodated me last-minute when I found out that when my dad said he would pay for us to stay there it actually meant one 2Q room would house him, stepmom, two brothers (both 6'4"), me, and my son. ha ha ha. Stopped at the desk on our way back from dinner, pleaded my case, they gave me a great rate. And the bed was comfy. And the place was quiet, despite housing a large group of cheerleaders (my sister was one of them, which is why we were trying out that hotel, even though she was staying with her fellow cheerleaders).

Our newest go to for site hotel is now Hotel Indigo off Katella with free parking and wifi which was actually very good.
Breakfast is available for some rates and was delicious. Non buffet style just order off menu. Beds were some of the best I've ever slept in. We seriously didn't want to leave. We happened to get a fireworks view room which we didn't know existed and the hospitality here was amazing.
Very clean and spacious.
One downfall for some might be the noise level - you can at times hear the other rooms but only noticed that in the bathroom really.

We also enjoyed Anaheim Plaza but for short trips. It was clean and suits the needs for a short trip to just lay our heads down.

Our newest go to for site hotel is now Hotel Indigo off Katella with free parking and wifi which was actually very good.

I had never ever heard of that, so I had to look it up! Turns out it's the old Holiday Inn Express. Interesting!

Candy Cane Inn..... clean, clean grounds and rooms, comfy beds, free parking, decent breakfast, free reliable shuttle and it is within easy walking distance. Top notch management - always nice and helpful and if there are any questions or issues, they are dealt with immediately. Great place and people!
Best Western Park Place Inn.....can't beat their location! Breakfast is fine and the people are nice.

We are fans of the 2 best westerns (park place and Anaheim maybe?). They are both very close, not too expensive, and clean- good enough for a 1-2 night stay.

I'm a Hilton Honors member so we stay at either the Hampton Inn or the Doubletree Suites on Harbor Blvd. They are both really close to the Toy Story parking lot. I love the beds....very comfy. And of course, at the Doubletree you get cookies when you check in! Who doesn't love cookies???

My answer is totally different that anyone else's. We love the Anaheim Islander Inn and Suites (It will be our 3rd stay there for our upcoming trip). It is about a 15 minute walk to the DL main gate's. (its on Katella, about 1/4 of a block before Bubba Gumps and Cheesecake factory in that mall). Anyway the price is AMAzing! The rooms are clean, beds comfy (pillows to die for). A Brekkie is included (consists of muffins, apples, apple juice and coffee), but we find with all the money we save we either hit up Target for add ons or go to Dennys or IHOP for Brekkie. The pool is clean, but not huge, nor is there a hottub. I think people don't stay their because of the 15 minute walk.:confused3 But we do it no problem with our 4 kids and Gramma in tow. It is family run by the nicest people.

We loved Best Western Park Place Inn and plan to go back there for our trip next year. Its very clean, no noise problems, hot water, shortest walk and friendly staff.

We love the HoJo (staff, beautiful property, free parking, great coffee, premium rooms are quite large with great views, love the pool), the Candy Cane Inn (staff, premium rooms with breakfast delivered, gorgeous grounds). Best Western Stovall's Inn (great pools, view, location).

I was hoping for some Tropicana love in this thread. Thats where we're staying in a couple months. I'll let you all know how we like it!

We stayed most recently at the Red Lion Inn and Sheraton at the Park. Both were within walking distance of the park and very nice.

Carousel Inn - can't beat the location. We have stayed there 4 times in the last 9 years. ;)

Uh oh....why not Maingate?

Everyone's opinions on and experiences with hotels and motels are SO different from the opinions and experiences of others, and I shouldn't have given my quick feelings about Maingate like I did. We all should give our reasons why, or not do that (and there are better ways I could have emphasized the Plaza vs Maingate), and I apologize for scaring you.

Here is my explanation for our feelings about it.

Most people here like it. We did not. We felt that the room was ugly, place was noisy (still in construction), and breakfast was useless for us (we are vegetarian and have ingredient issues and I'm anti-hardboiled egg when I wasn't the one to make them) but I'm not sure they do breakfast anymore? We had the very first hard time checking in when using hotels.com, because I had stupidly put it with DH's name instead of mine, and DH was coming in on a later flight. It made sense that without my name on there they couldn't check me in BUT they are the very first place to EVER feel that way. They were nice about it, but it was just one more checkmark (actually the first checkmark, LOL). Had to contact DH who called hotels.com who put my name on the reservation who faxed the motel who didn't get it, had it faxed again, they got it, let me check in.

After experiencing the Ramada Plaza, which is a hotel vs motel, and just felt so different, I wasn't expecting such a difference when the first name is the same. But of course they are run by different people and are different sorts of Ramadas, so I should have expected that.

Oh and the pool was BEYOND freezing. I have swum when it's 50 degrees out, I have gone in pools when no one else was in them, but this pool was absolutely freezing cold. Considering that it was a weirdly cold time of year when we were there (we had previously experienced Decembers that were warmer than Septembers) and so even 70 degree water should have felt wonderful, but it did not. The pool looked pretty, though. But no adult was staying in it after feeling the water. The hot tub was crowded, even though someone had put bubbles in it and it was foamy the whole time we were there.

Like I said, most people around here who have stayed at the Maingate have liked their stays.

For us, if you're choosing between Maingate and Plaza, go with Plaza.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter