What are your thoughts? DME vs car service & grocery options

roselark

DIS Veteran
My friend and I are heading down for a 10 day stay. We have a week at a 1 bedroom at Riviera then several says at Ft Wilderness cabins. We are thinking that getting a few groceries would be a good idea...mainly breakfast items, sodas, water, and some snack items. We have never done this before though and are having a hard time trying to decide the best way to go about it.

Some of the options we have been reviewing:
1. car service that will give us a grocery stop.
Pros: we would not have to wait for DME and we could make our own selections at the store
Cons: we have never done this and it will cost at least $80 just for the car service. Highest cost option

2. take DME then schedule a grocery delivery
Pros: cheaper than option 1 (we would use Instacart, Garden Grocery is insane with their prices)
Cons: 2 hour delivery window where we have to be at the resort and we can't guarantee when we will arrive at the resort to schedule the delivery. More time waiting than the other options.

3. take DME then buy a few things at the resort store
Pros: Simple with no planning involved and we have done this before
Cons: limited options for items and the cost is high through Disney

I am looking for thought of others who have done this and what did you find worked best for you? What options have we not considered?

If I didn't rent a car, it would be option 1 for me. I don't like waiting and my time is valuable.
You could wait as long as 3 hours for DME to get to your resort (so I heard) and then the 2 hour window for grocery delivery. Is the 1st day just for travel and getting settled in with no other plans?

You are staying at a 1-bedroom with a full kitchen for a week. Grab some quick prepare meals and save a few bucks. Cold cuts are always a good quick option. Jimmy Dean sausage sandwiches are great in the morning to make rope drop. Don't forget you have a full size fridge leaving more room for beer and water.

I would go with option 1. We have used a car service the past few trips, and there was a stop at Publix

We did the curbside pick up and ordered ahead of time…the day before..so when we got there, it was ready.

It gave us more variety than just buying onsite. Plus we did get a few things for adult beverages that saved a lot over having to get at the pool bar!

If I didn't rent a car, it would be option 1 for me. I don't like waiting and my time is valuable.
You could wait as long as 3 hours for DME to get to your resort (so I heard) and then the 2 hour window for grocery delivery. Is the 1st day just for travel and getting settled in with no other plans?

We've started going the rental car route. With free resort and theme park parking, the freedom from relying on Disney transpo has been liberating. Sure parking at the TTC isn't ideal, but for our MK day(s), we just splurge on preferred parking. I'm also an outlier as I'm not a huge fan of the Skyliner as a primary means of transportation. We love going to DS, and THAT can be an ordeal trying to get on a bus at 10 or 11 PM. We did Uber/Minnie Vans once several years ago, and I found that I was spending almost as much over the course of a stay as I would renting a car (using corporate rates and some free days of course), but spending an hour or more less (total) getting to and from a park has value for me. It also frees us up to venture off property occasionally, for a Target run, etc.

The biggest benefit I feel are the added hours we enjoy on our first and last days, especially the last day. With a rental car, we can do AK on our last day by getting there early and getting on a later flight (around 6 PM). Since AK's hours are so short anyway, you really don't lose a lot of time in the park (unless you're a rope drop to Kiss goodnight guest). I find it frees up a day in the middle of our stay that we can use as an extra resort day.

I will say, however, that grocery delivery is preferred for food (breakfast stuff, snacks, coffee, 1/2 & 1/2, etc). We'll do Target (the one by the outlets) for toiletries and whatever we forgot (although REALLY hoping our new Owner Locker will alleviate some of that) to bring (again) but lugging perishables back to the resort isn't very appealing.

Last edited:
We have done all three of your options and the rental car too. For us, it depends upon the type of vacation we are planning.

When we have done DME and grocery delivery, I usually schedule delivery for the latest time slot available. Usually, I choose this option when we have an early flight on arrival day and know that we will be in the room by that time anyway.

I’ve also done curbside pickup with a car service. I choose this option when our room is likely to be available when we arrive. It just seems like it would be too much of a hassle to pick up the groceries, then store them with bell services until the room is ready, and then have them delivered when we get back from the parks.

We’ve also had groceries delivered to Bell Services and had them delivered to the room when we get back. I think they still do this, but charge a fee ($6?) to deliver to the room.

We used to shop ourselves when we had a rental car. But, I think we prefer grocery delivery!

Take DME to resort. Lyft over to grocery store for about 8-10 dollars each way.
This is a great idea. Family recently took DME and there was no problem, no waiting (had heard on these boards it was a nightmare, but not that day, a Sunday). Although I would first stop at the check in desk and inquire about your room. If you are there really early, your room probably won’t be ready so you should go to whatever park you have reserved. When you get your room ready text, request an Uber or Lyft from the park ( I am assuming this is allowed....never had to do it myself) and have them take you to the grocery store. Depending on whatever park you are in. Publix has better food and deli in my opinion but Winn Dixie has better prices on beer and wine. There is Publix near the Animal Kingdom park and also in Celebration (which is easy to get to and from the Riviera). Irlo Bronson Parkway in the AK area can be a nightmare during rush hour. Winn Dixie on Apopka Vineland Blvd is close to Disney Springs. Visit their websites before your trip so you can make a list

You can definitely LYFT (we don't use Uber on principle) from any of the parks or resorts. I was just there for 7 weeks with a car and we still used Lyft a few times so that all could imbibe safely or after taking a bus to the parks and not wanting to wait in the hideous lines back to the resort or to run a quick errand to the drug store from the park.

You don't need to be present to accept a Garden Grocer order. We always place a big order with them for our arrival day, to be delivered prior to our arrival. Bell Services will accept the order, refrigerate anything that needs to be chilled, and deliver the order to your room, once you have checked in and gone to the room. So no waiting around at all and they will happily even drop off booze without you being there if you upload a scan of your drivers license to their website.

The rest of my post got cut off. 🤔
Good to know about Lyft. Although for MK I think pick up is at the TTC? I heard they are getting strict about using Bay Lake Tower and Contemporary for drop offs for MK.

The rest of my post got cut off. 🤔
Good to know about Lyft. Although for MK I think pick up is at the TTC? I heard they are getting strict about using Bay Lake Tower and Contemporary for drop offs for MK.

We used Lyft in March from VGF to go to Publix.

My friend and I are heading down for a 10 day stay. We have a week at a 1 bedroom at Riviera then several says at Ft Wilderness cabins. We are thinking that getting a few groceries would be a good idea...mainly breakfast items, sodas, water, and some snack items. We have never done this before though and are having a hard time trying to decide the best way to go about it.

Some of the options we have been reviewing:
1. car service that will give us a grocery stop.
Pros: we would not have to wait for DME and we could make our own selections at the store
Cons: we have never done this and it will cost at least $80 just for the car service. Highest cost option

2. take DME then schedule a grocery delivery
Pros: cheaper than option 1 (we would use Instacart, Garden Grocery is insane with their prices)
Cons: 2 hour delivery window where we have to be at the resort and we can't guarantee when we will arrive at the resort to schedule the delivery. More time waiting than the other options.

3. take DME then buy a few things at the resort store
Pros: Simple with no planning involved and we have done this before
Cons: limited options for items and the cost is high through Disney

I am looking for thought of others who have done this and what did you find worked best for you? What options have we not considered?
Take DME. The $80 you save by not getting a car service will pay for a lot of bottled water and breakfast snacks from Garden Grocer.

Garden grocer is crazy expensive...some items are more expensive than through Disney. We are looking at Instacart. I am seeing reports indicating that even Instacart deliveries can be made to Bell Services. Anyone know if this is accurate? My friend is balking at the cost of the towncar. :)

I get motion sick so I never do MDE. I don't want to be on a bus which may make multiple stops before getting me to my resort. I do a towncar with a grocery stop from airport to hotel. I like to pick out my own groceries. But I do Uber/Lyft from resort to airport at the end of the trip. You don't have to book the towncar round trip.

I literally did Amazon Fresh today!! I ordered last night for a delivery time when I expected the DME to deliver me to the hotel as well. I am still on the DME as I write and the Amazon driver just texted as well as Amazon App notified my items had been delivered!!! They will be there when I get there. Perfect! Will always use this service.

Garden grocer is crazy expensive...some items are more expensive than through Disney. We are looking at Instacart. I am seeing reports indicating that even Instacart deliveries can be made to Bell Services. Anyone know if this is accurate? My friend is balking at the cost of the towncar. :)
Agree about GG… selection limited and crazy prices.

I’ve used Instacart several times without issue. They can drop your order at bell services which will keep your items cold/frozen until you call for them… unless you order liquor in which case you will need to meet the delivery person to verify your age. Never had any issues as I’ve had very good timely “shoppers” who were great about texting me to let me know their progress.

We have done car service since 2009 and grocery delivery since 2008. We always use Tiffany town car and previously used garden grocer. We’re switching to amazon fresh for groceries going forward.

Time is money: quick resort arrival and no wandering around an unfamiliar grocery store.

I literally did Amazon Fresh today!! I ordered last night for a delivery time when I expected the DME to deliver me to the hotel as well. I am still on the DME as I write and the Amazon driver just texted as well as Amazon App notified my items had been delivered!!! They will be there when I get there. Perfect! Will always use this service.

Any issues with your delivery or bell services? How many days ahead would you have been able to place the order? We plan on using Amazon for the first time next month as our DVC grocery delivery

Any issues with your delivery or bell services? How many days ahead would you have been able to place the order? We plan on using Amazon for the first time next month as our DVC grocery delivery
No issues at all. When we arrived we were met at the DME and whisked away in a golf cart to put room. I informed our greeter of the delivery and he brought the items right after he got us settled in our room. Not sure how early I could have ordered but I placed by order at 10 pm the night before for a noon delivery.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter