What are your must sees/must do's in the Lancaster PA area?

maslex

DIS Veteran
It's been quite a few years since we've been to Lancaster. We'll be leaving this coming Saturday for a 5 night stay at a campground, then a 2 night stay in Tobyhanna State Park to visit my sister.

So far my husband will be going to a train museum (while I stay back at the campground, it's just not my vibe). But together we'll be going to the Kitchen Kettle Village (love that place, it reminds me of Mystic Village here), Lancaster Central Market (I saw a video on this and we'd like to go see that, we've never been), and anytime we're down in Lancaster area, we always take a drive over to Hershey's Chocolate World.

Other than that, we plan on doing our customary "Sunday drive" through the Amish areas. Love to look at all of the farmland, houses, etc. So beautiful. What other area attractions are your favorite?

Our usual dining choice while down there was always Good & Plenty but we've heard that they closed down during Covid. My husband RAVED about their meatloaf and never shut up about it LOL. He loved it. So we'll have to find an alternative. We have plans on going to Shady Maple for dinner one night (never been) and then I did find meatloaf on the menu over at Bird in Hand restaurant. So hopefully, it'll hold up to Good & Plenty's. :) Any suggestions on a good breakfast buffet?

Thanks!

It's probably not your deal at all, but my family goes to Lancaster county several times a year. Usually camping for a weekend in the spring and then several day trips. DH and the kids are train people....

Our favorites for sightseeing:
Railroad Museum of PA (I know you don't like it but it's good)
Strasburg Railroad (this is actually a lot of fun)
National Toy Train Museum (so adorable)
Choo Choo Barn (massive toy train display)
Turkey Hill Experience (love the ice cream and orange tea)
Hershey Park and zoo (yep, I love amusement parks)
Dutch Wonderland (so cute if you have little ones in your group)
The Amish Village (a bit of cultural stuff)

Shopping:
Bird in Hand Farmers Market
Kitchen Kettle Village
Peaceful Valley Furniture (been buying custom oak furniture there for nearly 20 years and get a few new pieces every year to replace the IKEA garbage I bought in my 20's)

Eating:
Katie's Kitchen (not a buffet, really good open face sandwiches)
Dienner's Country Restaurant (my favorite buffet, I think this one may be popular with locals)
Bird in Hand Family Restaurant (an okay backup if we've been to Dienner's already, yummy baked goods)

It's probably not your deal at all, but my family goes to Lancaster county several times a year. Usually camping for a weekend in the spring and then several day trips. DH and the kids are train people....

Our favorites for sightseeing:
Railroad Museum of PA (I know you don't like it but it's good)
Strasburg Railroad (this is actually a lot of fun)
National Toy Train Museum (so adorable)
Choo Choo Barn (massive toy train display)
Turkey Hill Experience (love the ice cream and orange tea)
Hershey Park and zoo (yep, I love amusement parks)
Dutch Wonderland (so cute if you have little ones in your group)
The Amish Village (a bit of cultural stuff)

Shopping:
Bird in Hand Farmers Market
Kitchen Kettle Village
Peaceful Valley Furniture (been buying custom oak furniture there for nearly 20 years and get a few new pieces every year to replace the IKEA garbage I bought in my 20's)

Eating:
Katie's Kitchen (not a buffet, really good open face sandwiches)
Dienner's Country Restaurant (my favorite buffet, I think this one may be popular with locals)
Bird in Hand Family Restaurant (an okay backup if we've been to Dienner's already, yummy baked goods)

It'll just be my husband and I (our boys are grown now) But when they were little, we also did the railroads, toy train museum, hershey park/zoo, dutch wonderland. I'll check out Bird in Hand Farmers Market. I've heard of Dienner's just haven't been there yet. But we'll check it out (do you know if they have meatloaf --- he's on a mission ---LOL)

It's so funny this thread was posted today! My family (we're from California) is on an east coast trip and we've been in Lancaster County all day! The purpose of visiting this area was mostly so our train-loving son could experience the Strasberg Railroad. We took the train ride this morning and it was amazing. My son wanted to sit in an open car to get a more authentic experience. He wanted to see, smell and hear the coal-burning steam engine. Getting a little coal dust on our clothes was a bonus (for him, at least)! After visiting the railroad, we went over to the Choo Choo Barn where DS and DH looked at the huge model railroad display. I opted to sit outside and watch the Amish buggies go by. We had lunch at Casey Jones, the restaurant at the Red Caboose Inn. We decided against staying there because we wanted a larger space for the three of us, but it did look like a cool place to stay. After lunch, we headed over to the Toy Train Museum. We would loved to have seen the Railroad Museum of PA, but unfortunately it's closed on Mondays and Tuesdays.

We spent some time driving around and passed through Bird in Hand. It was after 6:00 p.m. by then and most everything around there was closed. We really wanted some ice cream, and found a place called Down on the Farm Creamery. It was perfect! The ice cream was amazing. It tasted much creamier and not as sweet (in a good way) than the commercial ice creams we're used to. After eating our ice cream, we explored the most adorable little farm next to the shop. We visited a cute little calf, some feisty goats and chickens. Behind the farm was a herd of cows on a hill and there's a huge corn field next to it. People were hanging out eating ice cream, kids were playing on the play equipment and they even had corn hole. Some people invited us to join their game, which was really fun. The highlight for our bunny-loving family was watching a group of baby rabbits foraging and hopping around by the corn field. Adorable! We would love to stay another day and keep exploring the area, but we're on a schedule!

If you're looking for dinner in Hershey, try Fennici''s, 102 W Chocolate Ave. It's across the street, and up half a block from the Hershey Story Museum. They have an upsidedown pizza that is the best I've ever had. The cheese is under the sauce.

Once when we were there, the waiter told us the whole story of Milton Hershey and how he built the town and his school. It was very interesting.

I was going to recommend the Disney Store in Hershey, but it closed in May. The only Disney Store/Outlet in PA is now in the Rockvale Mall in Lancaster, so you still have a chance to visit one while you're in town, if you'd like.

Knobels is small, folksy, inexpensive & nostalgic, nothing thrilling but pleasant. You don't need to pay to walk in, it's pay as you go and they have a little lunch spot. Don't expect big fancy rides, for that do Hershey which is close and lovely but in a very different way.

It'll just be my husband and I (our boys are grown now) But when they were little, we also did the railroads, toy train museum, hershey park/zoo, dutch wonderland. I'll check out Bird in Hand Farmers Market. I've heard of Dienner's just haven't been there yet. But we'll check it out (do you know if they have meatloaf --- he's on a mission ---LOL)
Katie's has meatloaf on the menu every day. Dienner's has it on special on Mondays.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter