What are your best tips for going in December?

C.Ann

<font color=green>We'll remember when...<br><font
Hoping to go with my grown DD, and my 3 yr. old granddaughter the first week in December..

What are your best tips for that time of year?

Layer your clothing!

It could be 45 one day and 75 the next. We'd wear shorts and a t-shirt, add a sweatshirt and windpants, and a light jacket in the morning. As is warmed up we'd take off the layers.
:)

Take lots of film for your camera!! The decorations are so beautiful! Especially at all the different resorts. The Boardwalk Inn had an amazing display that was made of chocolate.
Have fun!
K

Pack a hat and gloves for the little one if you plan on going out at night. Winds pick up and it gets cold. We had shorts on during the day, and went to the MVMCP and wore hats and gloves.

The best tip I have ever gotten can be used any time. Get an over the door plastic shoe holder. Put it over the bathroom door for toilettries, etc. Keeps counter space clear & things are easy to locate.

My first thought was pack a jacket! It's a great time to visit but evenings can get chilly. On our first trip we had to buy sweatshirts at Epcot because of the wind.

I agree about wearing layers. We even had to wear 2 pairs of socks once in January, but I wouldn't expect it to get quite that cold that early in December.

Start thinking about what special holiday events you want to do early because they sell out fast. CP is beautiful, and I love the package because you get good seats and discounted shopping at Epcot.

We always go either the first or second week of December. I have gotten into the habit of packing gloves and long underwear!
We sat thru too many CP with teeth chattering. So now, I am ready for anything. They are the light ones (the underwear) and the gloves are small, so they don't take up too much room.

And as was already mentioned, pack for summer and winter!
But it really is the best time of year to visit (in my opinion :D ).

We went the first week in December 2 or 3 years ago. FROZE! Check out weather reports. I think the Orlando Sentinel weather is more accurate than the Weather Channel. Maybe I am crazy. Sure, 45 doesn't sound bad -- until you realize you are out in it all the time. I felt like I belonged at the Penguin Exhibit at Sea World.

I asked DH -- got the coats? Yes, both of them. Well, that means both of HIS coats. They sell gloves and scarves pretty cheap at the parks if you forget, but coats -- those are expensive!

Layer -- and get a locker.

Yes it can be cold but it can also be hot! We've gone the last two first week in December's.

The first time it was freezing, especially at night and we needed our winter coats and the blanket I packed for my DD who was 14 months at the time. Really no swimming that year.

Then last year it was beautiful and we never needed our winter coats we brought. We also swam a lot and rented a boat etc...Georgeous!

Bring a variety of clothes and just keep checking the weather before you leave. That will really help you know how much winter or summer to pack.

Now, regarding the rest of info about going in December, the decorations are wonderful! Try to visit some of the resorts. Go to MGM at night and see the Osborne lights.

Get tickets for the MVMCP; your grand daughter will love it! There'll be a special X-mass parade 2 times and hot choc and cookies and a pin and a free family photo and it won't be too crowded, although sometimes it can be but the rides really weren't that bad. There'll also be special X-mass shows. Tickets already on sale.

Then there's the CP at Epcot. That's a beautiful X-mass show with a choir and a narrator. Our daughters liked it. I was worried they wouldn't.

I love going that time of year because it's not too hot, crowds are down, and the Christmas stuff going on!

You'll have a great time!

check out the resort decorations- GF has a life size gingerbread house, WF tree is gorgeous.Our resort (Dolphion) had several kids activities.

Originally posted by KerriL
Take lots of film for your camera!!
K

Or take a digital camera with large storage cards.

Regardless of which type of camera you take, learn a little about taking photographs before you go...while the typical point and shoot automates the science of photography, it doesn't automate the art and doesn't replace the need to think about what your photographing! :)

One site that's helpful is the kodak website...www.kodak.com

Other than being prepared for extremes in temperature, the only other advice I can give is to watch out for my in-laws. They'll be the ones wandering around like idiots. (they're from iowa) :)

Hope this helps,
Joe

I am planning my honeymoon for this December. Can anyone give me some ideas we might like for a honeymoon - or the names of some special events in December? I am new to the Disney Planning, neither of us have been there since we were kids :)

I live pretty near you--Baltimore--and I'm getting married this December too! Not going to Disney for the honeymoon though....

As far as info for a December trip (so jealous!), I think one of the best sources of info is Deb Will's site:

http://www.wdwig.com/holiday.htm

There's definitely a lot to do and see at Christmas time. Where are you guys staying???

Congrats on doing Disney Bride! Disney in December is great, unless you go during Christmas Week, then its great with alot more people.

Deb's site does have the holiday information you are looking to find, so I won't touch on that. Since you're 'new' to WDW planning, the best advice I can give without a specific question is to read, read, read. These boards are great for up to the minute information, but Deb's site, mousesavers (www.mousesavers.com), and even Disney's own site are great resources for planning.

One tip for your time in WDW, unless you're really shy, is to let the CM's (cast members, or employees in any other company) know you're on your honeymoon. While no guarantees are made, CM's often go above and beyond for people celebrating an occasion.

Hope this helps,
Joe

HI!
I'm no expert - but we did go to WDW 1st wk of dec 2001 - and it was breathtaking - Disney is always magical but with the christmas decorations its magical on 10. Do see the Osborne Family Spectacle of Lights at MGM - Do purchase tickets for Mickey's very merry christmas party - Do see the lighting of the christmas tree at epcot - and most of all HAVE FUN! - Me DH and DD7 are going to be there VWL the 1st week in dec can't wait! Maybe we will see you there.

I am also going to be there the first week of December and have enjoyed reading all the tips. Never been there at that time and it sounds so wonderful.

Already ordered my tickets for Mickey's Very Merry Christmas on December 1st (our 24th anniversary), I thought it would be a nice thing to do.

Thanks for the tips :) We are staying in a savanah room in the Animal Kingdom Lodge

How do you buy tickets to events/shows before you leave for Disney?

You can call Disney directly at 407 934-7639 for Central Reservations. You might also be able to do this through a local TA or AAA office.

-joe

Im going down on Christmas day and leaving like 2 days after new years..its gonna be a blast, remember to wear your green ribbons!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter