• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What are your best, inexpensive appetizer recipes?

ilovepete

DIS Veteran
I am in need of a great, cheap appetizer recipe. Does anyone have one that they love?

I always make devilled eggs when I need a cheap appetizer. $1.20 or so for a dozen eggs, plus a bit of mayo and a few spices.

My kids' favorite is pigs in blankets, we buy the cheapest hot dogs available and cut them in 2 or 3 pieces each, and wrap each piece in refrigerator biscuit dough--I buy the store brand and cut each biscuit in 1/2.

We also do the layered salsa dip, with refried beans, salsa and sour cream from Dollar Tree.
http://www.cooks.com/rec/doc/0,1915,150167-225204,00.html

How inexpensive were you hoping for? This costs around $10 to make (including the chips) and is great, I got it from a Rachel Ray cookbook:

1 Can Chili (I usually use turkey chili)
1 block of cream cheese
1 small can of jalepenos
1 bag (2 cups) of cheddar shredded cheese
1 bunch fresh cilantro

Add the ingredients in order in a pot on the stove while stirring each one in (you can warm the chili and cream cheese together first to make it easier). Wait until everything is pretty mixed to add the cilantro.

Place in an ovensafe pan and bake at 350 for 10 minutes. Serve with tortilla chips. I also serve it with cut up green, yellow and red peppers. Very tasty and I have rarely left a party with any left over

Buffalo chicken dip is a favorite with my crowd. You can google various recipes; I use canned chicken for a faster mix, but it's basically red hot, ranch dressing (some might call for bleu cheese), cream cheese, shredded cheddar, and chicken.
Goes great with veggies or chips!

Pepperoni Dip

1 stick hard pepperoni
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 8oz block cream cheese
crackers for dipping

chop pepperoni (I use the food proccessor)
put first 3 ingredients in a square baking pan or casserole dish
bake for 25 mins

This recipe sounds gross but it's soooo good and addicting!

16oz Sour Cream
1 packet of Hidden Valley Ranch Dip mix
a bag of Mild Cheddar (finely shredded…I used half the bag)
Real Bacon pieces (they come in a little bag…use half the bag)

Mix together!!

I used cracker stix or veggies.

Always a big hit!

Clam dip.

1 can minced clams with juice
1/2 red onion chopped
1/2 cup grated parm cheese
oregano
parsley

garlic powder
1 sleeve of Ritz crackers crushed

Mix all together and bake at 350 for about 45 minutes. Serve with Ritz crackers and lemon wedges.

Unless you are steaming jumbo shrimp for a crowd I don't think any appetizer is really expensive because you don't need that much of it.

I like to get a wheel of brie, sprinkle with pine nuts, drizzle with honey and bake until the cheese is soft. Serve with crackers, of course.

Ingredients:

• 3-4 boneless chicken breasts
  • 8 oz. bottle of ranch dressing
  • shredded cheddar cheese
  • one package of wonton wrappers

Directions:

• Preheat oven to 425
  • Line muffin pan with individual wonton wrappers, having the edges of the square come up the sides to form a cup
  • Bake cups for 3-4 minutes (I sometimes spray the muffin pan first with cooking spray)
  • Boil chicken breasts until they are done. Shred or put in food processor after cooling.
  • Mix shredded chicken breasts with bottle of ranch dressing and any spices/herbs you enjoy.
  • After removing the wonton cups from the oven, put about a tablespoon or less of the chicken mixture in each cup, topped with a little bit of cheddar cheese.
  • Bake in the oven until the cheese melts (only a few minutes)

You can eat these hot, room temperature, and I even like them cold. You can top them with salsa, sour cream, or nothing at all. We love them and they're cheap and easy.

Just learned how to make a quick/easy version of chilaquiles (sort of like wet nachos) from a Whole Foods class. So delicious!

Ingredients: bag of tortilla chips, jar of salsa (thinned out with some water in a medium-sized bowl), can of black beans, cheese
Directions: Layer the ingredients into a 9x13 pan in the order above. Throw it in the oven until everything is warmed through and the cheese is melty and delicious. A dallop of sour cream on top is great too. Enjoy!

Thank you everyone, a lot of great ideas here! For the poster who asked what was inexpensive, I was trying to keep it under $10 total for everyone. Probably 10-15 people.

I always love bruschetta bread. You can either make it yourself or they have pre-made stuff in the pasta aisle.

One of our staples since I was a little kid is a half a brick of Velveta and a can of Rotel melted together served with Fritos scoops.

An 8 oz. brick of cream cheese, beat in about 3/4 jar of Stonewall Kitchen Red Relish (online or sold at Kohl's). Serve with Scoops. CRAZY good.

1 block of cream cheese on a plate, top with 1 can of tiny shrimp drained (find near the tuna), cover with cocktail sauce. Serve with ritz crackers! Und $10 nd under 2 minutes! I always get compliments on this.

to echo a couple of PPs, cream cheese with hot pepper jelly on top, serve with tortilla chips or crackers, always a hit! Buffalo Chicken Dip, this is my go to dip now, it's HUGE! everyone loves it and it's always the first to go! I use canned chicken so it's easier and it's not that $$ at all.

1 block of cream cheese on a plate, top with 1 can of tiny shrimp drained (find near the tuna), cover with cocktail sauce. Serve with ritz crackers! Und $10 nd under 2 minutes! I always get compliments on this.

I forgot about this one, I love it. Another variation is mixed cream cheese with canned crab meat and a little cocktail sauce. Let it sit over night and dump cocktail sauce over top prior to serving. You can serve it with whatever cracker you want, or pita chips.

I see alot of dips have been listed. I thought I'd share what I make other than dips.

Turkey meatballs cooked in chili sauce/cranberry sauce and sprinkle red pepper

fruit skewers served with dip

frozen loaves of garlic bread baked with one side as pepperoni pizza and the other as veggie pizza and then sliced thinly into sticks and served with dipping sauce

meatball sliders or potato skins

brie round with any topping on top like honey and red pepper chili then wrapped in phyllo dough served with crackers, fruit and veggies

crescent roll dough unrolled and filled with anything you'd like and cut the triangles cut in half

mini quiches cooked in muffin tins or mini muffin tins

rolled out crescent roll dough put into muffin tins filled with chopped spinach, mushrooms, and cheese or some tomato meat sauce and cheese

tomato, mozzerella and basil salad drizzled with balsimic

soups served in shot glasses

good bread served with various dipping sauces

any kind variation you'd like in tortilla or wonton wrapper

stuffed mushrooms

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter