• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What are you still salty about?

Two involving me and my brother and two involving my kids.

The fact that I had to wait until age 10 to get a "10 speed bike" back in the late 80s, like my big sister before me.

And THEN while we were at the toy store so I could pick it out, my LITTLE 8 year old sister threw an absolute fit about how she wanted one too and it wasn't FAIR that she couldn't get one that day. My parents gave in and let her pick out a bike as well. Burned me up so bad back then and I'm still salty about it over 30 years later.
Similar story. I am 3 years older than my brother. I had to wait until a certain age to get a 10 speed bike. He got one the same year.

Then the State of Maryland got involved. :rotfl2: The drinking age was 21 back in the early 70's, until they changed it to 18. Yep, my brother and I became legal drinking age the same year.

Now times I was peeved for my kids. DD, who is 2 years older, and DS had the same Spanish teacher in high school. DD in third year, DS in first year. DS used an online translator because he didn't know they weren't allowed. Teacher penalized DD saying she must have used it too even though I know she did not.

DS, senior year in high school, on the tennis team. Had been for all 4 years. He wasn't the best player but also not the worst. He went to every practice and took lessons over the summer. He really tried. The coach did not play him in any matches the entire season. I went to the home and away games and never saw him play. I was ticked. DS skipped the sports banquet because he was peeved too. DS is in the Secret Service now and I would love to see him have to stop that coach. This was 14 years ago and still bugs me.

When I was 4, my mom signed all 6 kids in my family up for swimming lessons. On the first day, the teacher made fun of me because I refused to go down the slide into water that was over my head. Called me a baby because a 3 year old went down the slide. I refused to go back the next day, and didn't actually learn to swim until I was 25. But it worked out fine - my mom would drop off my siblings for class and then we would go to the bakery around the corner for donuts.

In 4th grade, we were playing a word game on the board where you would change 1 letter to make a new word. I changed CAPE to COPE and the teacher said COPE is not a word and our team lost. :headache:

Getting fired by being accused of hiding behind a bush to kiss my finance while working (at a daycare)
The last 3 seasons of The X-Files
The Quantum Leap Finale
Something political I'm not allowed to say out loud on The DIS

Oh if we're talking tv shows... the last season of GOT, the Dexter finale, the Penny Dreadful finale.

I'll throw one more TV-related one in there:

When I was still in elementary school, Little House on the Prairie (which my sister loved) came on Mondays at 8 ET. SWAT (which I loved) also came on Mondays at 8. Our family had 1 TV and this was pre-VCR, so if you didn't get to watch it in real time you were out of luck.

My parents, bless them, decided to do a Solomon thing and split the TV baby: I got to watch the first half of SWAT, and my sister got to watch the second half of Little House on the Prairie. So she always got to see the end of her show, and I never got to see the end of my show.

I may or may not still hold a grudge.

OK, yes, I still do, a little bit.

I thought of another one.

For a very early morning lacrosse tournament game, I decided to ask Spotify to play 'Sandstorm' (by Darude) as we got to the field in an effort to wake/pump my son up. However, the song that started to play was 'Stay with Me' by Sam Smith (I am indifferent to the song, but definitely not what I was looking for!)

When I got to the field, I removed the app from my phone and have not put it back since!

When I was a sophomore a girl (family well known in the community) had mono during tryouts and missed them, yet somehow still made the cheerleading team. I didn't make the team that year. I haven't thought about that in a decade, but I guess I'm still bitter lol

Is there anything from your past that still annoys you

I would say not getting a wagon wheel 18 years ago.
be-like-elsa-frozen-memes.jpg

My sister (who I now love with all my heart, I swear) always blustered and cried herself into getting the better bedroom every time we moved. We moved twice in ten years during our childhood and teen years.

1. She got the larger room with the purple carpet and pretty butterfly wallpaper, while I got stuck in the cramped room that -I swear I am not making this up-was 'decorated' by the landlord with leftovers from a 70s kitchen remodel, complete with linoleum floor and cabinets.

2. We moved above our family business into a space that hadn't been used for living in years, but she *still* managed to snag the room by whining that had the built-in desk, two closets, and hardwood floor. I got the front room with paint-splatters on the wood, holes in the walls and ceiling, bad windows and, because it had been used as a ceramics classroom, all of the outlets were six inches from the ceiling to accommodate the florescent lights that used to hang there. I had to run all of my wires up the walls.

Can you tells this still eats away at me? :p No wonder I tried to kill her with a snow shovel once when we were playing outside of my grandmother's house. What a brat she was.

Through my childhood, my mother promised me that her pearl necklace would be mine one day - when I was old enough. I was never deemed mature enough - even at age 21 servings as a police officer and owning my own house. Yes, the State of Maryland decided I was mature enough to take a life if needed but my mother that year told me I was not mature enough to have her pearls.

My brother developed a drug problem and stole jewelry and coin collections from my parents - including the pearl necklace.

To be honest, I am not a pearl kinda girl. Doubt I would have ever worn them. But to this day I am still salty that my mother never thought I was worthy of the necklace. Mom and brother are both gone now and I am still mad at them.

I was really good in Math, but horrible in English in high school. I have no creative bone in my body, so when I had to write an essay, I was totally lost. I talked out the essay on our tape recorder, then wrote it down. It was a mystery, and spent hours getting a good story line. I was proud to turn it in. I got a D. For grammar, and spelling. I was devastated. I even talked to the teacher about it, and she did say the story was good.

I'm a Math teacher now.

Two involving me and my brother and two involving my kids.

Similar story. I am 3 years older than my brother. I had to wait until a certain age to get a 10 speed bike. He got one the same year.

Then the State of Maryland got involved. :rotfl2: The drinking age was 21 back in the early 70's, until they changed it to 18. Yep, my brother and I became legal drinking age the same year.

Now times I was peeved for my kids. DD, who is 2 years older, and DS had the same Spanish teacher in high school. DD in third year, DS in first year. DS used an online translator because he didn't know they weren't allowed. Teacher penalized DD saying she must have used it too even though I know she did not.

DS, senior year in high school, on the tennis team. Had been for all 4 years. He wasn't the best player but also not the worst. He went to every practice and took lessons over the summer. He really tried. The coach did not play him in any matches the entire season. I went to the home and away games and never saw him play. I was ticked. DS skipped the sports banquet because he was peeved too. DS is in the Secret Service now and I would love to see him have to stop that coach. This was 14 years ago and still bugs me.
None of my kids played tennis, but we are a big soccer family. The difference is that a bench sitter usually gets in when there is a big gap in the score. Ds22 and ds17 were top players, Dd17 was one of three sophomores to make varsity, and the only one on the team who wasn’t on a club team. She’s the fastest sprinter on the track team, and much faster than any of the soccer players. She was one of the worst soccer players even after playing recant travel since the age of 6 (she never developed good foot skills or how to play a position). I was so mad the varsity coach took her instead of letting her play JV (she was a freshman captain). I think she played 10 minutes the whole season.

She ended up playing on a club team so she could get better and get more playing time, which she did, but she was also close to just quitting soccer (she just liked playing for fun).

My mother never got me braces. I still bring it up in a joking manner but deep down I’m still salty about it.

None of my kids played tennis, but we are a big soccer family. The difference is that a bench sitter usually gets in when there is a big gap in the score. Ds22 and ds17 were top players, Dd17 was one of three sophomores to make varsity, and the only one on the team who wasn’t on a club team. She’s the fastest sprinter on the track team, and much faster than any of the soccer players. She was one of the worst soccer players even after playing recant travel since the age of 6 (she never developed good foot skills or how to play a position). I was so mad the varsity coach took her instead of letting her play JV (she was a freshman captain). I think she played 10 minutes the whole season.

She ended up playing on a club team so she could get better and get more playing time, which she did, but she was also close to just quitting soccer (she just liked playing for fun).
Same with my daughter and softball. She made varsity as a freshman but sat the bench and was usually a runner for the catcher. My daughters involvement in the game hinges on someone’s else’s performance at the plate. Finally in her junior year her other talents were recognized and her beach sitting started to lay off but it always bothered me that for all that time she missed out on critical game time. They did pull her down to JV when they needed a pitcher or if they had a tournament and varsity wasn’t playing. Two years in a row she played in the tournament and got and was selected by other coaches for the MVP award. Neither of us thought that was fair to the other girls at all. In fact, maybe some of them are still salty about it In the grand scheme of things it didn’t matter though, she stopped playing once she graduated from high school. It still would have been nice for her to have played more.

It’s sad to me to see how many teachers and coaches have had a lasting negative impression on kids. I have one too, in first grade I was an excellent speller, never missed a word. After one test I said to my friend that yay I got a 100%! Teacher overheard and told me not to brag, I was crushed and thereafter purposely missed a word on each spelling test. I am now 50 and still remember that feeling.

That my father's primary care physician gave me a hard time about getting stitches removed while my dad was an inpatient for another unrelated matter.
It was near my dad's end of life and that jerk started speaking about blah, blah. I demanded the stitches be taken out before I left , before my dad was discharged. It took all of , 5minutes to get a kit, snip snip pull pull done!
It would have been at least a 2 hour ordeal to pick him up, get him to my car, get him out of the car, into the office, then into a visit room and reverse.
My dad loved this doctor. I lost every ounce of respect for him that day. All he wanted was to to be able to charge for that office visit.
My dad died shortly thereafter.

Never heard of the term 'still salty about', maybe a regional thing? I looked on this thread just to see what that term meant...........LOL.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter