What are you planning to do for St. Patrick's Day?

DodgerGirl

Crazy For The Mandalorian
With St. Patrick's Day next Sunday I would like to hear what everyone's plans are? For St. Patrick's Day my parents are gonna cook corned beef and cabbage and I just love corned beef either by itself or in a sandwich and every St. Patrick's Day I always put on some Irish music in the mornings to start my St. Patrick's Day
Hope everyone has a Happy St. Patrick's Day
Dodger

My StepDad passed away from Alzheimer’s on St. Patrick’s in 2015. Every year we go to the restaurant we were at when my Mom called me to say he passed, and we toast a green beer to his memory. He was a wonderful man and we all loved him very much.

My community has a parade and celebration. We'll go to the parade in the afternoon, and I plan corned beef and cabbage for dinner that night. We'll likely wear something green on Sunday. Maybe my daughter will get some of the St. Patrick's Day decorations out this week.

For the most part we just make a dinner at home - bacon and cabbage - which is more traditional.
I prefer to do roasted brussels sprouts instead of cabbage, but the wife wants cabbage so that is fine.

My kids work in a pub so will be working a very long day that day, so it will be pretty low key for the most part.

We may have some folks over so we may do a corned beef as well for them, that is what Americans expect, have not decided yet.
I also have a bunch of left over shepherds pie filling from the pub - so I may make shepherds pie twice baked potatoes with that.

I no longer go out to pubs on St Patrick's day - is kind of like New Years Eve - Armature hour.
Too many folks who don't know how to drink acting the fool, drinking Irish Car Bombs and making a mess.
I can recall walking through puddles of Guinness and god knows what else in Boston back in the day - so no thanks.

If I knew there was going to be a really good trad session than maybe, but you just don't see much of that anymore.

I don’t like cabbage, so, I just fix corned beef, and enjoy it on good rye bread. We have it with friends, and we wear green. We aren’t Irish.

I'm not Irish so I don't do anything. Our city does have a big St. Patrick's parade downtown that I was thinking of taking my granddaughter. However, the parade is on Saturday, the 16th, and I work that day so doesn't look like we'll be going. I did buy her a new green dress to wear if they do something over the weekend. Now that I think of it, I'm going to take her to get her picture taken with the Easter Bunny on the 17th.

I usually make sure my daughter has a fun shirt but now that she is 13 those days are over. Not Irish and it's not a big deal in our area (no parades or anything like that) so it's honestly just another day for us.

For those that are not Irish - "Everybody Is A Little Irish On St. Patrick's Day" - everyone is welcome. Honestly I think more non-Irish celebrate it than Irish.

BTW - related I saw this t-shirt and think I need to get it - "Everybody Is A Little Irish On St. Patrick's Day Except Italians We're Still Italian"

My StepDad passed away from Alzheimer’s on St. Patrick’s in 2015. Every year we go to the restaurant we were at when my Mom called me to say he passed, and we toast a green beer to his memory. He was a wonderful man and we all loved him very much.
What a nice tradition, Sandy, toasting to dad and good memories.

Hope your time in Florida is going well for you guys, though missing your poll this morning, :surfweb: . Softball and sun, what else do you need? Planning on a St Patrick's Day poll next week? :duck: :laughing: Oh, lucky, it's on Sunday.

With St. Patrick's Day next Sunday I would like to hear what everyone's plans are?
For us, I think Marie and I will just go out for a nice, traditional St Pat's dinner somewhere.

When I was growing up, Saint Patrick’s Day, was a big deal celebrated by many whether of Irish descent or not. Now that parochial schools aren’t closed on the day, NYPD, FDNY and Dept of Sanitation aren’t Irish-dominate, the parade in Manhattan has gotten smaller while the Staten Island parade, larger.

When I met the man I thought he was of Irish descent what with his green plaid blazer and garishly matching Kelly green tie. He’s fortunate we didn’t meet on St Paddy’s Day cuz dressed like that I doubt we’d have had a future 🤣

Okay, after years together I took his wardrobe in hand and threw the green garb away. In compromise I made him corned beef and cabbage every March which became his favorite meal and kept him from hanging out in Blarney Stones, LOL.

On my side, for many years we didn’t know if my family names were Scot or Irish. Finally figured out they were probably border people.

I’ll make the man’s favored meal this week and eat it in his honor since the 14th is also his birthday.

Sorry for that loss.
My mother passed away on St. Patrick's day in 1984.
I still "talk" to her all the time.
So no celebrating here. I will just look at pictures and remember all the good times.

I’ll make beef stew and brown bread for dinner. And enjoy some Irish Cream cocktails.

At work I play my St Patrick’s Day playlist. A mix of beer & whiskey songs, Irish jugs and more modern Irish artists. With it being Sunday this year I will likely play this on Friday.

For those that are not Irish - "Everybody Is A Little Irish On St. Patrick's Day" - everyone is welcome. Honestly I think more non-Irish celebrate it than Irish.

BTW - related I saw this t-shirt and think I need to get it - "Everybody Is A Little Irish On St. Patrick's Day Except Italians We're Still Italian"
My grandad was Irish, that doesn't make me Irish. He came to England as an adult to find work. My dad (his son) was born in England, I was born in England. Hence I am English, not Irish.

My grandad was Irish, that doesn't make me Irish. He came to England as an adult to find work. My dad (his son) was born in England, I was born in England. Hence I am English, not Irish.
Yeah - fair enough - no doubt the view of this is different on each side of the Atlantic for many reasons.

In the states most folks with one Irish grandparent would probable consider themselves Irish - especially on St Patrick's day - but that's up to the individual really.

Most Irish in Ireland will never consider Irish-Americans Irish - even if they live there and have Irish passports etc...
Maybe its different now, but that's was what it was like in the 90s.
You are a Yank end of story is my experience.

In the end I sort of look at St Patrick's day like Cinco De Mayo - its an excuse for people to drink and have a good time.

DH and I both are part Irish. I would love to do corned beef, cabbage and potatoes, but I'm the only one that will eat the cabbage. DD17 recently left a big jar of kimchi in the fridge that really stunk up the place, so I don't think anyone wants cabbage in the house anytime soon. Still, I may buy a corned beef and make it with potatoes. I'll just have to pick another crociferous veggie to make on the side. If the weather is good, we may also head to the zoo to do DD17s senior photo shoot. They sometimes do fun holiday things for the animals. If not, we have several neighbors that decorate for every single holiday, so maybe we'll head out to see the St. Patrick's Day lights that evening.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter