What are the little things?

eeyoreland

DIS Veteran
I have a friend leaving for Disney in a week and she asked about any "little" things she could do with her family. She'll be traveling with a 6 and 8 year old. Even though I've been a number of times, I'm drawing a complete blank. Either that, or I'm just too lazy to think! So, what are some little (free if possible) things she can do? For instance, DH thought about waking up Tinker Bell, but I know that isn't done any more. The one I can think of is the Art of Animation drawings. Thanks for any help. And if there is already a thread posted on this, please feel free to point me in the right direction.

They could do a Kim Possible mission over at Epcot, they are free.

My grandchildren really enjoyed KimPossible, it is fun but it is time consuming.

They also enjoyed Kidcot. This year my DD bought them the special Epcot Passports, but of course there is a cost to that - I think they are $10 each - but they can do Kidcot without the passport.

If you are early enough on Tom Sawyers Island you could look for the paintbrushes which I understand could get you some Fastpasses for rides, but I don't know all the details, only that you have to be one of the first on the Island.

There may be some activities at their resort as well.

The Kim Possible missions were fun, not only for my 8 year old but for me as well. You sign up in the front of Epcot (I think near innovations) and then pick up your phone in the back. They send you on "missions" in a country. It has all kinds of Disney surprises (in France the gargoyle stuck is tongue out at you, the display lit up as you "scanned for fingerprints, etc). After you finish one you can choose to do another one. You do it at your own pace. You can make your own autograph book at home too. One year we brought Mardi Gras throws for all the princesses and got awesome pictures and notes from everyone. 6 is old enough to enjoy the shows like Turtle Talk, Lion King, Beauty and the Beast, fireworks, small rides, etc. 8 is old enough for the larger rides too, and you can do child swap where one adult stays behind with the smaller child and when the family gets done they "swap" while the other person rides. They don't expect you to ride alone, so your older child can ride again with you without waiting in line again. And we love Jedi Training Academy where your child gets to fight Darth Vader!

You are correct, there have been numerous threads in the past. You can probably do a search and find a couple but in the mean time....

-Watch Myuki(candy lady) at the Japan Pavilion in EPCOT. She cant give away her creations anymore but is still amazing to watch. Free!

- Catch some of the awesome streetmosphere performers at DHS. Guest services should be able to give you a list of when and where they are performing. Free! In fact, you will also find many great performers around world showcase at EPCOT.

- At MK, go to the big granite globe and show them how strong they are when they try to spin it.

While at AK, search out DiVine. I would also suggest a visit to the animal kingdom lodge, it is spectacular. From DHS, I like to take the boat ride to the boardwalk, grab a slice of pizza and pick up a sweet treat at the bakery before walking into epcot for illuminations later in the evening.

Are they staying on-site or off site? At the on-site hotels, my daughter always loves the games and crafts by the pool, watching the tiki torch lighting ceremony at the Poly, watching movies on the beach at BC and CR, campfire with Chip and Dale at Fort Wilderness.

At parks and the resorts, we like to look for hidden Mickeys.

Not free, but recently my daughter has been really enjoying pin trading. That is what she talks about most from our last trip.

look for hidden Mickey - there are lots of them, in every park and at least some of the resorts.

The sword and the stone in MK. Every now and then someone will actually be able to pull it out, but there is no rhyme or reason to it.

The jumping fountains outside of Imagination Pavillion in Epcot.

The miniature train layout outside Germany in World Showcase.

At night in Epcot Future World, look down at the ground around Innoventions....there are fireworks in the ground.

The jumping fountains outside of Imagination Pavillion in Epcot.

At night in Epcot Future World, look down at the ground around Innoventions....there are fireworks in the ground.

Both of these are awesome. And right in the middle of these two attractions... You could stop for a free Beverly soda!

Use the Mono rail as a rest but also to ride through a building , my son loved that.
take a boat ride ,
Kidcot stations also still remain fun in epcot at that age.

Try the sword in the stone at MK DS succeeded in 2008 he was so proud. :cool1:

Take the animation class at DHS where you draw a character - free souvenir as you get to keep your drawing. And if you go around 4:50 in the afternoon, you get to experience characterpalooza.

Thanks for the suggestions. I should be able to put together somewhat of a list for her to think about.

What about:

1. The Great Piggy Bank Adventure - as an adult with no children I loved this and begged the folks to make a replica of the piggy bank to sell. I tried so hard to get him into my bag...:rotfl:

2. Where's the fire? Fun game you play in teams.

We just got back and my kids ages 7 & 9 tried pin trading for the first time & absolutely LOVED it. I never really understood it before but my DD wanted that for her souvenir so she got a started kit on the second day of our trip. By the end of the day my DS decided to use his own money to get a starter kit too as she was having so much fun with it. They told me it was their second favorite thing on this trip (after Expedition Everest).

Another thing my kids love is Tom Sawyer's Island. I think a lot of people skip this because its not that exciting but my kids love to go over there & "expore".

Also, the little shows they do around HS. When we were just there a guy came riding out of a gate in a small funny little car. He stopped next to us & a group of people & called my DD up ("hey Pipi Longstocking, get over here!"). He then did a whole skit with her, it was hilarious, and definitely a highlight of the trip. They also do little skits when you are waiting in line to see Phineas & Ferb, almost all the kids get picked to do something. Also, Mulch, Sweat, & Shears in HS are a fun group to see.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter