What are the counter service options at AKL?

MouseFan88

Mouseketeer
My family (myself, DH, DD1 and DD4) are staying at AKL Sept 8-14. Obviously with cut-backs on park hours, we're going to have to be eating a few meals at the resort. Are the only dining options right now really Sanaa or lounges/bars? Seems totally unreasonable, especially since we don't want to haul the girls over to Disney Springs and only have a Studio so can't cook our own food.

Yes, currently the only options are at Kidani. Sanaa is QS for breakfast and TS for Lunch/Dinner (carryout available). The Maji pool bar is open, has limited food options, and closes during bad weather.

That's frustrating. Is in-room dining available? Or is it literally you have to eat table service if it's raining?

That's frustrating. Is in-room dining available? Or is it literally you have to eat table service if it's raining?

At this point no. Only Yacht Club is offering limited.

And if you don't have an ADR, you'd have to take the food to go anyway (I honestly didn't know that was an option at TS restaurants.)

I think some people are using food delivery services (Grubhub, Doordash, etc).

You have either a kitchenette or a full kitchen at both Kidani and Jambo (DVC villas). You can make your own breakfast.

I'm not as concerned about breakfast - we'll do Instacart have have things ready. But for dinners after the parks close, we're in a Studio, so a fridge and a microwave likely won't cut it. It's very disappointing that the only option is take-away from Sanaa - that's expensive.

We brought Ramen with us and cooked it in the coffee maker. I felt like I was back in college. Luckily my son considers Ramen a treat. Along with some baby carrots, broccoli, and hummus and some bread and cheese we had something of a "meal" when the pool bar was closed.

I will say that when we were lucky enough to find the pool bar open the food was surprisingly tasty. Or maybe it was just extra good after all that Ramen.

This remains one of the most frustrating decisions thus far. AKL is already far off the beaten path, so without resort dining, and park hours shortened, guests are left with virtually no options.

I'm frustrated in the sense that I didn't realize that Sanaa was QS at breakfast but table service for dinner, so I hadn't made any ADRs for Sanaa for our trip. I check now and of course it's full for all days/times I checked. My mistake but frustrated none the less.

Finding food to eat at the right place and right time is going to be the most infuriating aspect of our entire trip I feel. It was a known PITA to book ADRs (but at least it was a known factor for previous trips) far in advance and our travelling companions didn't want to do so much table service places. But even for QS I feel like it's more like a same day ADR if your want to eat at a certain time. The whole, everyone's hungry, let's go eat in the middle of the day is a thing of the past since there may not be any mobile ordering availability for right then. Ugh.

In case you don’t know, just FYI, Sanaa offers “To Go” ordering in the MDE app. While AKL is sorely lacking dining options right now, this can potentially help a bit for some.

In case you don’t know, just FYI, Sanaa offers “To Go” ordering in the MDE app. While AKL is sorely lacking dining options right now, this can potentially help a bit for some.
True, but both the available and wait times can sometimes make it all but impossible to use this option, so people need to be careful about hitching their hopes on that wagon.

True, but both the available and wait times can sometimes make it all but impossible to use this option, so people need to be careful about hitching their hopes on that wagon.

Hmmm, I guess we'll find out if we can use the To Go option when we get there. The problem is that needs to be determined BEFORE we leave to go back to Kidani or otherwise we'll get back and have no food to eat.

Opening the Mara would be a major improvement, but with only DVC occupying the 5th floor of Jambo House, that's highly unlikely to happen until the rest of AKL opens.

You can preorder with mobile ordering. Don't wait until last minute or there will be no spots.

You can preorder with mobile ordering. Don't wait until last minute or there will be no spots.

I checked that it looks like the latest available window is 8:50pm - 9pm so knowing that I can let my group decide beforehand that if Sanaa is a viable option for dinner that we can do the To Go option and put our order in to match our return time to Kidani BEFORE the time slots are gone.

We will be back home after Thanksgiving. Rarely, do we eat at the resort as we rent a car. Plenty of options a few minutes away offsite. We plan on doing take out and bringing it back to our villa.

Hate things are what they area now yet, rather looking forward to less crowds & a quiet lobby.

Even the CS in the parks were busy via mobile order our trip end of sept/early Oct. we wound up taking a break a few times to grab lunch at Millers.

Haven’t used it in MCO but would think they have uber eats, postmates etc. as options to the resorts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter