What are the chances of not getting activities on first cruise

kylieC

Earning My Ears
We are going on the WBPC cruise in April 2018. This week Gold cruisers were able to book activities such as Palo, character breakfast's and the frozen and princess gatherings.

From our facebook activities, it appears that most of these activities are now sold out - and we still have the Silver cruisers to get to book their activities on the 9th of January before we can book on the 23rd.

I'm starting to worry that we have spent so much money on travelling to the US (from Australia) for this cruise and we will not get to do the activities we want to do.

I also know that they leave some to book on board, but I am guessing given we won't have any early POT we will also miss out.

Will DCL announce more of the gatherings and activities as they sell out?

DCL has been known to add more character breakfasts, and since you'll be on one of the longest DCL cruises you'll have more opportunities for Palo than on the shorter cruises. Good luck!

I think you will be pleasantly surprised. You will still have tons of options even if some times are sold out

I saw people on my cruise complaining about sell outs who were really complaining about the day/time they wanted being sold out.

If you are flexible it helps. If you only want princess gathering on the first sea day, you may be disappointed.

I think you'll be okay. My first cruise was on Christmas and we were able to get everything we wanted.

I think you'll be fine! We just did our first cruise (MerryTime on the Wonder) and we were able to get all the activities we wanted through a combo of initial check-in, regularly checking activities online, and asking when we first arrived on the ship.

Specifically:
  • I was able to book a princess gathering when we first checked in. (There were also character breakfasts.)
  • I found a Palo brunch maybe a week or so later but just checking frequently.
  • I scheduled our mixology class during a random online check about a month before our cruise.
  • The day before our activities online booking window closed, there was suddenly TONS of availability, and that's when we added the Frozen characters.
  • DH booked a bourbon tasting when we boarded the ship and saw it on a Navigator

I had the same worry!
I booked Christmas night and found TONS of Princess/frozen meets and my family (16 in total) were all able to get their chosen excursions even though I'd heard one is quite popular/limited.
The only thing I didn't get was Palo brunch but I plan on checking back for openings.
If you want alcohol tastings maybe see if there's a Facebook group for your cruise. The one I'm on is organizing a tasting.
Good luck getting what you want!!!!

Also keep checking. You're 3-4 months out. Plenty of people cancel and change right up to a few days before (and even on the cruise). I've often changed my bookings a couple of weeks beforehand as I discover the one I really wanted has been added or someone else has cancelled, they've added an adults-only version, etc. My cancellation then opens up spots for others. I usually check at random if I've already pretty much got what I want just to see what else might have been added or more frequently if I want to make a change but what I wanted wasn't available.

I was severely limited in Frozen Meet and greet (one time the entire cruise was available, so I grabbed it) and one for the princess meet, which is 30 minutes before a port adventure starts so I'm hoping we can get it done before we have to leave. Palo brunch was sold out for all sea days for us as well. All tastings were gone, too.

We're on a southern itinerary in January and it's our first Disney cruise, and when the booking window opened, it semi- crashed and stuff wasn't able to be booked until 6 hours later for me. No port adventures that we wanted were gone, but some were unavailable.

I was a little frustrated with the character set up because once you take a time, you can't see other available ones unless you cancel your current ones. I knew most were sold out when I booked but I can't see about changing them now. I believe you can call and have them check to see what's available.

On this spring’s WBPC I “released” my husbandnof his obligations to see the Frozen gang and to go to the Princess Gathering. He took our tickets to guest services - try hanging out there the morning of the event, in case others change their minds.

On our first cruise we were able to get a Palo brunch, Palo dinner, BBB appointment, Royal Tea, and Disney Junior breakfast. We could have gotten more activities if we had wanted.

We are going on the WBPC cruise in April 2018. This week Gold cruisers were able to book activities such as Palo, character breakfast's and the frozen and princess gatherings.

From our facebook activities, it appears that most of these activities are now sold out - and we still have the Silver cruisers to get to book their activities on the 9th of January before we can book on the 23rd.

I'm starting to worry that we have spent so much money on travelling to the US (from Australia) for this cruise and we will not get to do the activities we want to do.

I also know that they leave some to book on board, but I am guessing given we won't have any early POT we will also miss out.

Will DCL announce more of the gatherings and activities as they sell out?
I just got back from a Dream cruise today and had only booked the cruise well after activities were open to booking by all, but I had no problem booking what I wanted. I suspect that's because of the itinerary and timing of my cruise, though- a Dream winter holiday sailing likely has fewer experienced cruisers on it than a WBPC does. That may be why you're hearing that things are already selling out on your cruise- it has more DCL veterans on it.

I didn't know about this forum for our first two cruises. I did basically no research at all for our first cruise. Going into our first cruise blind was a bit of a blessing I think. The experience was so amazing and magical that it didn't even occur to me that I could be missing anything better than what we were doing. I think your first cruise is just like that. So if you aren't able to do some things, there will be so many things you can do that it won't matter. If you miss a princess gathering, for example, you will almost certainly catch those same princesses just strolling around at some point. If you can't get a Palo brunch, do dinner. Etc. And stuff does open later. We had to cancel our last cruise at less than 45 days out due to medical issues. It sucked but one small silver lining was knowing I made somebody's day when my cabana and other reservations opened up. People do cancel and they do hold some stuff back for boarding. Your cruise will be amazing regardless and you will almost certainly get at least some of your desired activities.

I will add that on our cruise a few days ago, there was a princesses photo op listed in the Daily Navigator that didn't seem to require a reservation.

We went to guest services first evening and got everything we couldn't book online for our first cruise. And if you miss something, that's fine too. There are sooo many things to do <3

On those longer cruises DCL you should be able to to experience all that you want, however adding more spaces on port adventures might be difficult if it's sold out. Nevertheless it has been my experience that they offer several of the shipboard activities and other gatherings and if you don't get what you want you can always asks Guest Services if they plan on adding more. Happy sailings.

I just booked 4 days ago for the January 28 San Juan Southern Caribbean cruise and it will be my 40th DCL. Everything I want is sold out (which I expected as this late date) but I will ask onboard and see what happens. Good luck to you. As others have said, you have more opportunity to get what you want if you are flexible since it is such a long cruise. You will love it!!! We loved our PC cruises!!

MJ

We've been on the 2016 WBPC: don't worry. There will be enough times for Palo available in advance and even more when on board (half of the times are reserved for onboard booking and cannot be reserved in advance). So book what you can in advance and on embarkation head to the indicated spot (indicated in the day 1 Navigator) where reservations are taken. Explain them all your wishes and they will work with you. We ended up with three brunches and a diner, including brunch on the Panama Canal!

On the Frozen and Princess gathering: keep looking online and note that on this very long and fun cruise there will be many open occasions to meet and greet and interact.

For the tastings: you may want to check the cruise meet thread on this board or the FB-group. Usually a lot of private tastings are organized through these groups which is even more fun as you join in with people you already know.

And don't forget: even if you do not manage to do all the activities, you still will have a great cruise!

I was able to book all the excursions I wanted online when I went to Alaska.

I had to wait for the last minute and split my reservation for my Palo brunch.

To see the glacier in aslaksa I stalked the sign up page everyday. I was eventually allowed to book us three a seat to see the glacier by booking us separately.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter