What are the big changes coming on January 9th?

nuge67

Mouseketeer
When we booked January 9th and 10th the Disney rep stated that was perfect timing because reservations are no longer needed for the parks, etc. We have not been there is some time so I am asking the experts what happens on January 9th that is so great in regards to the parks? Also, hours for the parks with no reservations needed after the 9th only go up to January 3rd.

Does anyone know if the hours to the parks will change come January 9th?

Thanks

A dining reservation finder is expected to be released. Genie+ is rumored to gain ability to select ride in advance instead of day of. Possibly onsite to get 7 day advance pick, all others 3 days. Will this be for more than one ride? Who knows.

When we booked January 9th and 10th the Disney rep stated that was perfect timing because reservations are no longer needed for the parks, etc. We have not been there is some time so I am asking the experts what happens on January 9th that is so great in regards to the parks? Also, hours for the parks with no reservations needed after the 9th only go up to January 3rd.

Does anyone know if the hours to the parks will change come January 9th?

Thanks
For some reason, Disney posts park hours on the app earlier than they post them on the website. Park hours on the app have been posted to January 17. The hours on the 9th and 10th are the same as on the 8th (except for Extended Evening and After Hours events). However, the originally-posted hours are often changed later, so we can hope for longer hours. (I'll also be there that week.)

Already-announced changes for January 9 are: the end of park reservations*, the return of the Disney dining and quick-service dining plans, and the end of park hopping being limited to after 2:00.

Genie+ has already pointed out some upcoming changes that don't yet have announced starting dates. Because of the changes that are happening on January 9, some people think those other changes will also happen then. They may be right.

* - see also post 8 (by Bella Paige)

Last edited:

Already-announced changes for January 9 are: the end of park reservations, the return of the Disney dining and quick-service dining plans, and the end of park hopping being limited to after 2:00.
My guess is that these are the only changes that will take place on the 9th. The wording of the announcement for Genie+ changes was a little more vague in terms of timing.

A dining reservation finder is expected to be released. Genie+ is rumored to gain ability to select ride in advance instead of day of. Possibly onsite to get 7 day advance pick, all others 3 days. Will this be for more than one ride? Who knows.
Please note these are only RUMOURS at this time. None of this has been officially announced. Some have been hinted at but not formally announced.

What has been announced are:
- park reservations no longer required
- park hopping allowed through entire park hours
- Disney Dining Plan returning.

Please note these are only RUMOURS at this time. None of this has been officially announced. Some have been hinted at but not formally announced.

What has been announced are:
- park reservations no longer required
- park hopping allowed through entire park hours
- Disney Dining Plan returning.

^ maybe I should’ve bolded the words

^ maybe I should’ve bolded the words
OP asked what changes ARE starting Jan 9th so wanted to ensure they knew as your response did not address their questions.

The title of the thread is not asking for rumoured changes so to keep this thread on the Theme Parks board and not need to move it to Rumors or Community forums, we want the information here to be clearly about changes that have officially been announced by Disney.

What you posted could happen but at this time it’s purely speculation.

OP asked what changes ARE starting Jan 9th so wanted to ensure they knew as your response did not address their questions.

The title of the thread is not asking for rumoured changes so to keep this thread on the Theme Parks board and not need to move it to Rumors or Community forums, we want the information here to be clearly about changes that have officially been announced by Disney.

What you posted could happen but at this time it’s purely speculation.

I took it differently. Disney has listed what they are doing Jan 9, so I thought the post was looking for the more subtle stuff that WDW has yet to 100% confirm. The rep did explain the solidified plans.

When we booked January 9th and 10th the Disney rep stated that was perfect timing because reservations are no longer needed for the parks, etc.

Sorry OP if I misunderstood.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter