What are my stroller options for a 4 & 8 yr. old

J

jldriscoll

I am wondering if I actually have any options in the stroller arena for my 4 yr old (28 lbs.) and 8 year old (50 lbs.)

The 8 year old doesn't need to ride ALL the time of course. but lets face it, WDW is HUGE!!! I think it would save us from slowing down or having to carry her when she tires out. We don't need anything for napping in anymore :( so I think that may open up our options. We would like one unit too. 2 strollers doesn't appeal to us.

Cost is only sort of an issue. We will only use whatever we get at WDW, but we don't want something that will fall apart either. We like quality.

I feel the same way about tiring out our 6 and 7 year olds. A stroller can become a God-send for them sometimes in WDW, but they probably won't need one always. I think we're going to rent on a case by case basis. I read that WDW has strollers for up to 12 yo's.

Another option for you is to go to some yard sales and see what you can pick up. Originally, my Mom picked up a $2 stroller for my DD. It would work for us, but her knees would protrude a bit and she looks too big for it. If it broke, we're only out $2 and we planned to leave it in Orlando at the end of our trip anyway. This may be an option for your 4yo and you can rent on days and/or times that the 8yo needs one.

I'd love to know if there is a double stroller that would work for 50 pound kids. Most only go up to 45-50. I'd certainly spend some money to bring one instead of standing in line to rent if I could spend about the same.

Any other ideas?

I don't know how you feel about renting a stroller, but the rentals are great. I was told that the strollers are made by babyjogger (although I can't confirm this). I don't think you would have any problems with your children in the rental strollers, they are very sturdy and easy to maneuver. Some people complain about the wait, but we never had a problem. Just get to the park before opening and there will be CM standing around the entrance. You probably will not need a stroller at other times than when in the park since your children are older.

I'd probably rely on the rentals if I had too. Only that won't help at the resort if there is a long walk back to the room.

Anyone else have an idea?

We rented a stroller at MK in March for our 4 yr. DD. It actually ended up being kind of a pain because she didn't want to ride it till about the time we left. If I had it to do over again I would wait till later in the day and rent a stroller if she wanted to ride in it.

You know your children best. Do they tire quickly and want to be held? Don't underestimate all the excitement that will keep them going till the end. Like shelly3 girls said, you won't need one any where else-- so I definitely wouldn't buy one. The rentals have a lot of room so that isn't a problem.

Have a wonderful trip! :D

I have two boys (4 & 7)...get a double one...even if only one uses it at a time, you have a place to hold all your stuff (camera, video, etc.). We found if you rent one that only holds one child, then the fights occur...either they both want to sit in it or neither. Believe me, it's worth it. Don't forget...if you leave the park mid day they will give you a reclaim ticket to get another one upon your return in the late afternoon/evening...this is also true if you switch parks in the day. A good tip is to tie something to your stroller...a bandana, a balloon...something that will let you find your stroller quickly at the end of a ride.

Good luck and enjoy!
Beth

Our son is almost 9. The last time he rode in a stroller was when he was 5. If he gets tired, we go swimming or get something to eat. Maybe you should start walking around the neighborhood to get your 8 yr old up to walking in the parks. We've made 9 trips since he was 4. Number 10 is this month. We don't carry a lot of stuff around the parks. We usually stay in a park about 3-4 hours at a time.

Just back, and yes I would guess the stollers were made by baby jogger. They have big wheels and are very easy to manuver. I have a 4 and 8 year old and I got a double, nice just to sit in the shade for a bit and eat icecream.

Again sounds like we will have to rely on rentals. Oh well.....

BTW, Deb & Bill, unfortunately your "getting in shape" idea isn't ideal for my family. Although I walk 2 miles a day (to keep in shape for disney of course ;) ) my daughter has great difficulty with asthma. "Usually" it is under control and she walks with me, rides her bike and plays sports, a very athletic girl. However, even with her inhalers when she is having an attack, she is a very weak little thing. And one of the things that aggrivates her condition is humidity. (I don't see WDW moving to a less humid state in the near future!) So I can't assume she will walk even if it's only for a few hours.

Oh well, I'm perfectly willing to rent if that's the sacrifice I have to make to be in the World :D

I have the exact issue you do, and I have been unsuccessful at finding a good alternative to renting at the parks. I did a bit of research and found that most strollers have a 45 pound limit. Also, only expensive ($300-400) doubles are easily manuverable when the children have a big weight difference. The best alternative seemed to be an expensive jogging stroller, but I could not find one that would "get small enough" for me to feel it would not be a problem on WDW transportation. Some do say they are collapsible, but it usually requires taking off a wheel or two. We are taking a single for the baby, but the 4yo and 8yo will have to tough it out until we get to the parks. We also have been "getting in shape" by doing alot of walking, but our 8yo has asthma, too. As you said, it gets worse with humidity and it would be nice to not make him walk when he's not feeling good. We'll be staying at the BCV, so I'm confident my 8yo can make it until we reach the gates. If you find something else that works, I'd love to hear your solution!! Have a great trip.

Originally posted by pwoodham
our 8yo has asthma, too. As you said, it gets worse with humidity and it would be nice to not make him walk when he's not feeling good.

Hi pwoodham,

I won't say I'm glad to hear someone else is in the same boat as I am..... NOT appropriate in this case....but I felt so good to read your post and know we aren't the only ones!

I'll keep my ears open for some options....though from your counter, looks like you'll be there before me!! You lucky family!!!!

Let me know how things go and what you end up doing.

As a side DD age 4 is asthmatic too! (If I had only know it runs in my husbands family, maybe I would have......;) ) Not a huge problem this year because she's small enough for any stroller at 28 lbs. But in a few years......

We used 2 real light umbrella strollers for DD6 and DS4 last year and it worked fabulous!!! They folded up real easy for getting on and off the buses to CBR. Also if you want to (or have to) split up for some reason no one is left without one!! Next year we will be bringing our baby DD will be 3 next year andn so we will be bringing Grandma along to push umbrella stroller number 3!! since we will be out numbered by strollers!!

I really would recommend the umbrella strollers--they also hold alot of weight because often I end up with my kids sitting on each others laps in the mall when I only have 1 stroller and I have yet to have one break!!

This past Christmas we still rented either a double or 2 singles every day for our DS's (6 & 9). It really makes things easier!

My youngest son is 6 and he weighs about 48 pounds. In May when we went to WDW he insisted on renting a stroller because he said he knew he'd get tired. We rented a single and I'm so glad we did! He rode alot! It was a very hot week (95-96 everyday) and he would have been miserable without it. As a matter of fact a few times I found my DD 13 & DS 13 (70-75 lbs)sitting in the stroller hoping for a ride.:Pinkbounc

Hi!
We are travelling with our 4 yr-old in Nov and have just come across a great umbrella stroller. I purchased it at BURLINGTON COAT FACTORY (NJ) for $19.99. It is the best umbrella stroller I have found-it has a canopy, a small net-type basket underneath the seat and comfortable handles. There are a few patterns also-we got Snoopy! My DD is 38 pds and fits in it nicely and although she is heavy to push lately in other umbrella strollers, this one seems to glide easily. I highly recommend bringing your own stroller for walks b/t the parks and bus area and around the resort. Having the hood on the stroller will help with sun and rain and the basket is just enough for cups or a small diaper bag.
Hope this helps!

We prefer the rentals at the parks which are very sturdy. They have double strollers which are made of plastic like the stuff Little Tikes uses. They have a big awning for shade and a mesh pouch on the back that holds more stuff than you want to push. We have a 10, 8, and 4 yr. old, and the younger 2 will most definitely have stroller time. There's no advantage to waiting until they're tired and cranky to get a stroller. Better to preserve their good moods and not waste time backtracking after one. Even my 10 year old might get a rest because he's been under a doctor's care and may not be able to totally walk the parks. You can also rent from other places which is good if you have a special need like a stroller for an older kid. One place is www.all-about-kids.com

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter