• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What are crowds typically like the week after Memorial Day/

sadiebug

Mouseketeer
We are looking at doing 2 days in Disneyland and a day at Universal Studios in the week after Memorial Day. Any advice on crowds and days to go? According to Touringplans.com, Friday, May 31st and Saturday, June 1st look like they have lighter crowds, but we can travel any time that week (05/27-06/02/19). I have also heard that the information that Touringplans.com provides for Disneyland is not as accurate as what they predict for WDW, so I'm turning to the real experts!! TIA! :-)

The dates for opening of Star Wars Galexy Edge have not yet been announced and could easily be that exact time. The ticket promotion ends May 23rd so it could be anytime after that it’s opened.

And Touring Plans are not accurate. They could say a 5 and it's still very busy.

Last edited:
It is our favorite time to go, nice weather, California schools are generally not out yet, vacations arent in full swing yet.

I would normally say that the week days after Memorial Day are usually not to bad yet because many schools are still in session. The actual weekend can be busy because it is a holiday weekend (most folks get Monday off). TP probably assumes that the crowds will be lighter on 5/31 and 6/1 because the SoCal Select AP blockout is in effect, but I tend to also think that means that Disneyland assumes non-AP guests will fill up the parks.

Now, as sherilaine pointed out, Star Wars Land is slated to open in the summer (so basically any time starting with Memorial Day weekend), with most guessing that it'll open in mid-June. If that's the case, I would guess that they'll be doing media previews, hard-ticket previews, etc. for a bit before the opening. If it doesn't open until mid-June, then the week after Memorial Day will probably still be okay, but if opens on Memorial Day weekend, then the crowds will be huge regardless of the day.

As others have said, TP is not that accurate for DLR. I think one of their biggest problems is that they use attraction wait times as their main metric. However, there is a sizable number of guests that go to DLR for the shows (e.g., parades, fireworks, F!, etc.) and other non-attraction activities. When they used to post assess their estimates, they tended to underestimate the crowds.

We have often gone to DL that week because AZ schools are out. Weekday crowds have generally been pretty good, very manageable, ramping up on Friday and very crowded on Saturday. Afternoons and evenings can get more crowded for grad nights.

We've gone in the past on Memorial Day week and other weeks following 3 day weekends. The overall trend we notice is that it's obviously busy the actual Holiday, still some leftover crowds on Tuesday, and the best days seem to be Wednesday/Thursday before the crowds pick back up on Friday heading into the weekend.

That being said, all bets may be off this year in terms of crowds. As we get closer to the opening of SWGE and the broader DL blackouts for certain APs, more people might rush into the parks to squeeze in a visit and plan to stay away for the summer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter