What are Americans?

Due to the climate of political correctness now pervading America,
Kentuckians, Tennesseans and West Virginians will no longer be referred to
as "HILLBILLIES."
You must now refer to them as APPALACHIAN-AMERICANS.

Due to the climate of political correctness now pervading America,
Kentuckians, Tennesseans and West Virginians will no longer be referred to
as "HILLBILLIES."
You must now refer to them as APPALACHIAN-AMERICANS.

:confused3 What now we got to pick on the hillbillies!? :rotfl2: I grew up in Kentucky and I am going to refer to myself an Appalachian-Americans....(I like Appaparikan better, it is a cooler name. :confused3 )

:hippie: I have to say the hate speach has to stop! :hippie:

:headache: I really have a pet peeve of everyone trying to be PC :headache:

Okay, so maybe i missed class on this day;) but can anyone explain the Kansas / Arkansas phenomenon? What's the deal with that?

If i lived in Kentucky, i would prefer Appalachian American to Hillbilly and, frankly, First Nation sounds so much cooler than Native American and would be a more proper name. After all, if we all came from Africa like they say, no one would REALLY be a Native American, there would only be Native Africans - everyone else just wandered in somewhere, they weren't originally from there, right?

Why on Earth do you use them interchangeably? (The misuse of all of these....to, two, and too, etc. are MY pet peeve....as this the VAST misuse of the apostrophe s). And why would expect others to inentionally misuse these? They all have completely different meanings, as you clearly know.

it's a joke. word play... etc.

In honor of mommyceratops i would like to add this description for the record:

If you get lost ALL the time, you are no longer just an idiot (not pc) or have not sense of direction but are "directionally challenged" whilst in the process of getting lost and "logistically challenged" once you have become, undeniably, whereintheworldamIisthisplaceevenonthemap lost.:rotfl:

And remember, if you weren't here first, you're just a squatter :thumbsup2 .

PS: I like pie,too, tho i prefer apple.

In honor of mommyceratops i would like to add this description for the record:

If you get lost ALL the time, you are no longer just an idiot (not pc) or have not sense of direction but are "directionally challenged" whilst in the process of getting lost and "logistically challenged" once you have become, undeniably, whereintheworldamIisthisplaceevenonthemap lost.:rotfl:

And remember, if you weren't here first, you're just a squatter :thumbsup2 .

:goodvibes That is awesome!! I am permanatly there although 1andhalf kids ago I fell into the whereintheworldismydammindihavelostitandifyoufindaspareonelayingarounditwouldbemine

:lmao: but over all after rethinking this thread I am a squatter native african irish mutt who grew up with hillibies then moved to beverly hills.....oil that is texas gold...........oh wait that would be moving onto nick at nite! popcorn::

I am a squatter from wayback also.

First we squatted in Hungary, then Norway, then Ireland and finally squatted our butts right here into the US of A (that's America ya know) in the early 1900's. With all that squatting going on, you would figured we'd a "marked ourselves out" by now. We now squat in NJ. I am a "Native New Yorker" but was removed by my parents into NJ at the tender age of 5 so must consider myself a New Jersian, so my daughters are Native New Jersians, husband is a Canadian Canadian (Native Scottish, tossed out to Ireland, then Canada). I have a cat whose an ItalianAmerican and a dog from Costa Rica, you should hear his accent! When he and the Ecudoran hermit crabs try and talk to the Siamese fighting fish, well things can get dicey (the cat refuses to participate - its the Italian in him i guess...). I guess in a pc way we are a "blended family" :dance3:

Since my dog only wags his tail up and down or in a circle, i guess his tail is "horizontally challenged"! The cat (and my husband) can be "humorlessly impaired" at times, let's consider the girls a possible "sleep disruptive disorder"...:rolleyes1

I don't really think it has anything to do with political correctness. In Canada, we call those who called our country home first and their descendants First Nations, like others have said. Or you can use Aborginals to refer to the native people of any country. I don't think anyone's trying to be politically correct with these names, just accurate.

it's a joke. word play... etc.
Thanks Wildeoscar for clearing that up - I hadn't gotten back to this thread, otherwise I would've said something. That line happened to be the first line in a joke email I got that day on being PC. Since we were on the subject..... :goodvibes Certainly, I didn't mean to upset anyone. In the words of Pete, "It was a joke, People."

The Conversation about Native Canadians vs Native Americans sparked one of my favortie pet peeves.....

People from Canada are Canadian. People from Mexico are Mexicans. People from The United States of America are Americans? But since it is North America and South America isn't all of that the Americas... so arn't they all Americans?

Kevin needs to break out the books on style and grammer... I have a huge pet peeve on this. The common gutteral is to refer to The United States of America as "America" which is fine for everyday conversation but for proper writing like a news paper I find annoying.

Thoughts?

What would you like the people of the USA to be called? I, for one, would have no idea what to call the Indians in Canada. I thought the way they handled it was great. Julie said something, it got questioned, and a little discussion.

canada-americas-hat-tshirt-sm.jpg

AND Coming soon Mexico America's Beard.

Raises questions and probably some argument about where the armpit is...

And what does this make Florida? :rotfl:

(That's right.... it makes Florida home of THE HAPPIEST PLACE ON EARTH....he said trying to wriggle out of it.....)

Besides - I think we're both saying the same thing - wouldn't they still be considered "Native Americans" because that term refers to the ingenious peoples of the continent known as the America's - not just the ones living with the mapped out borders of the USA?

John

They may or may not be "ingenious", but I believe you meant "indigenous".

Just playing. Honest typo that gave me a chuckle. :goodvibes

.. and don't get me started on Scots being asked if they are from England and Catalonians being called Spanish :rotfl: :lmao:

Okay who is next on the get it off your chest thread :laughing:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter