• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What annoys you about your own home?

It has too many light switches that don't do anything. It's a newer house, so it has been prewired for ceiling fans and pendant lights and such, but we don't have any of that, so we have light switch panels where 1/3 of the switches don't do anything. 5 years in, we are still randomly flipping switches that do nothing when trying to turn on the lights. We have s panel in the great room with 10 switches on it. 6 of them "work" but it's so hard to remember which switch turns on which lights (hallway, kitchen overhead, kitchen under cabinet, living area lights). The same story plays out in every room of the house.

I'm not a big fan of the layout. The best place for a TV in the living room is opposite a big picture window, so you get a lot of glare.

The kitchen is smaller than we would like, as well.

We have electric baseboard heating, which is super inefficient. The basement leaks and the garage is unfinished. Most of the place needs new flooring. Need a new garage door and siding. Most of these things we will fix eventually. But the layout is probably something we are just going to live with.

Ours is a newish one for us (May 1, 2020 we moved in, but it's 6 years old). Was DH's pick. And I do, overall, like the house. But...

-The driveway and garage is tight for parking.
-No pantry.
-Dark wood floors, stainless appliances, white shiny master bath floor tile and dark bathroom cabinets...all very hard to keep clean.
-Back yard has hedges for fence (with actual real vinyl gate) so...it's a pain to trim them AND they don't keep the dog in.

We just bought our first home in September. It was originally built in 1900, but was just renovated two years ago by the last owner. I would really like a bigger master bath so we could put a nice soaking tub in there. Currently we have to go upstairs to take a bath in a traditional hallway type bathroom. I wish the upstairs bathroom had one of those tiny windows to give it some natural light. one of the bedrooms isn't really a bedroom, but an extra space with a low ceiling in half the room. I'd like to raise the ceiling to turn it into a real bedroom. Also, I need a real garage. It has a one car detached garage that isn't functional right now (needs electricity and a new garage door). Other than that, I'm very happy!

- House is on a slab (no basement), so our first floor feels 10-15 degrees colder than upstairs
- Super tiny closet in the master bedroom

When we lived in a house with a basement, the main level was always colder than upstairs, and the basement was an absolute freezer. I don't think having a basement makes the main level of a house warmer. Hot air always rises, so the upstairs is always warmer than the downstairs.

My kitchen needs a complete overhaul, and we need paint and carpets in the hall and bedrooms. Also the two full baths on the main floor need a refresh. I love where my house is though. Only one other thing which cannot be fixed, I wish we had a 3 car garage instead of 2, but we will just have to live with that.

My biggest complaint is that the rooms are not square. I don't mean in that they are not 90* but there's all these work around for I-beams and vents so there are all these weird cuts into the kitchen, bathroom & living room plus the coat closet.

Next up would be the lack of counter space in the kitchen and I would love a dishwasher but would have to sacrifice much needed kitchen storage.

Builder took shortcuts. Although we've had an inspection, been fixing things since day 1. House isn't even a year old yet. Currently 1/2 our kitchen floor, baseboards are tore up due to sinking and uneven subflooring. More damage was caused by trying to fix it. Builder is fixing it. If we buy ever again, it won't be new construction.

My floors
My kitchen counters
My bathrooms

We bought this house intending to fix it up and then I got laid off (as mentioned in another thread) not once but twice. We finally have the means and time to get things done and can't decide what to do first.

We downsized our home about a year and a half ago. Our main reason was that we wanted to cash out on our house, pay cash for a townhouse and avoid a lot of work that our old house needed. We love our new house! It was almost completely updated with tons of upgrades and completely move-in ready. We have beautiful hardwood floors, a great kitchen and crown molding throughout. I wish we had a driveway and better guest parking situation. DH and I park in the garage. The nearest guest parking is out on the street. When DS is away at college, we have to park his car in my mom's driveway (which she doesn't mind). When he's home, he has to park on the street and walk through the complex to get to our house. It's not a huge deal, but I wish it was different. Otherwise, we love our house and are very happy here.

1) too small
2) kitchen too small (luckily we have a finished basement)
3) glare on my tv also
4) we need to redo the sidewalk (third time) - but not doing it - unless the two trees are gone - sidewalk is going to come up again :(

Our home has a lot of lefty user friendly components. I'm right handed. We built our own home so.. while I tried to stay on top of the leftiness my days were busy with a pre teen and teen aged boy too. Unfortunately, we or I have lived with these minor nuances now for 30+ years!

My biggest complaint is that our house is on a corner that in the 12 years we have lived here has gotten busier and busier. More minor things - I wish I had a pantry and a walk in closet.

It’s a little small as far as apartments go, and it’s just one big room (besides the bedrooms and bathrooms)

I also miss having a yard to sit in. We have a good sized balcony but it’s not the same. I like bare feet in the grass during the summer.

Overall, I love my home. But one weird thing-our heating ducts/vents are in the floor of our main level and the ceiling of our basement. The plus side is that our floor on the main level is very comfortable. But the negative for that is that the office (main floor) and guest room (basement) vents line up and apparently use the same duct so any noise in one can be heard in the other. There has got to be a fix for that that!

Overall, I love my home. But one weird thing-our heating ducts/vents are in the floor of our main level and the ceiling of our basement. The plus side is that our floor on the main level is very comfortable. But the negative for that is that the office (main floor) and guest room (basement) vents line up and apparently use the same duct so any noise in one can be heard in the other. There has got to be a fix for that that!
We recently moved down to an apartment in the basement, and gave over the rest of the house to our oldest daughter's family. Our 5 year old grandson quickly learned to use the heating vents as an "intercom" to our basement spaces.

1. It's a rental and they won't sell it to us.
2. There's no gutters and very little roof overhang over the back door. So when we go out to smoke in the rain, we have to use an umbrella.
3. There's lots of storage but only one actual closet. I'd like one more closet somewhere.
4. I wish there was a third bedroom.
5. I want to replace the crappy wooden gate with a solid iron one that key locks from both sides.

Other than those things though, it's perfect! Gorgeous Victorian just outside the French Quarter in New Orleans, that was completely redone from the ground up before we moved in. High end appliances and fixtures, super smart layout, big backyard, hurricane shutters. I could live here forever, assuming they don't start jacking up the rent.

What annoys me about our home:

• the nosy lady in the 2 story house next door. She has flat out, without shame, told me more than once that she enjoys looking out her bathroom window into our yard, then goes on to ask me why we have our dining room blinds closed all the time.
  • the fact that the backyard butts up against a busy 6-lane road. There's a set back from the street, but it's still loud at times. The plus side of this is that we have no neighbors directly behind us.
Everything else about the house I love. It's just the right amount of square feet for our family. It has the right size of garage for what DH wanted. It has a big enough back yard, but not too big to be unmanageable. It has the right # of bedrooms and bathrooms. It has a big tub in the master bathroom instead one of those stupid mega-showers that's large enough to fit a basketball team. And the laundry room is separate from the entrance to the garage...and it's big enough for us to put the litter box in there.

I don't ever want to move again. I'd be thrilled to retire in this house.

1976 trailer, need I say more? LOL

11 single pane windows within view of the couch. 5 single pane windows in the bedroom. Surprisingly it isn't expensive to heat as I don't spend any more than I did at the house. AC is a bit rougher, I'll come home from work to find the AC set at 70 and it's 80 in the house on the hottest days with the AC chugging away. Luckily we don't get many 90+ days, but this past summer was hot with a lot of them. The AC unit runs from latest noon time until 9 or 10 pm after the sun goes down.

Old buckled carpet. Kitchen cabinets are all 1 piece, 8 feet on one wall and then wrapped around the corner where the sink is. The entire L shape is 1 cabinet. And no dishwasher and can't put one in because of the 1 entire cabinet thing.

Worst part, which we also had when we moved into the house, carpet in the kitchen and the bathroom. I'd like to put new flooring down in the whole thing.

Oh, my 1976 mustard yellow toilet, bath, and sink is pretty ugly, LOL. I need to replace part of the subfloor and will replace the toilet and sink then. The tub I can deal with as the shower curtain covers it all.

It annoys me that I am torn between spending the money on these things or leave it as it is a 1976 mobile home. It's worth putting the money in because it is very solid (built much better than the 80's and 90's) but of course it will still be a $10,000 trailer when I'm ready to leave it and I still have hope to be in a house again some day.

Oh, the last thing. My front door is normal size and pretty substantial. My back door, you could cut through with a butter knife. It's a cheap flimsy plastic and foam door, no security at all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter