What am I forgetting?

Memorymakerfor4

DIS Veteran
Work, kid's school, and allll of the other end of year activities have absolutely emptied my cup. I'm totally fried and would appreciate another set of eyes or two on our plans for our upcoming trip to let me know if I'm missing something big (I realize everyone's trips are different, but am always open to suggestions). This is all spread out over 6 days. I can't express how much I'm looking forward to this trip!

Booked:
Flights
Shuttle to and from Aulani and airport
Rental car for the two days we want to explore
Island tour
Pearl Harbor
Reservations for Monkeypod, Makahiki (breakfast and dinner), Eggs n Things, Roy's. I figured we'd just wing it for the rest.
Auntie's House (just one session, I don't know how the kids will like it)
Massages for each of us
Photographer
Luau

I couldn't get any of the Aulani activities like ukulele lessons on the days we want, so I'll try day of.

Last edited:
Work, kid's school, and allll of the other end of year activities have absolutely emptied my cup. I'm totally fried and would appreciate another set of eyes or two on our plans for our upcoming trip to let me know if I'm missing something big (I realize everyone's trips are different, but am always open to suggestions). This is all spread out over 6 days. I can't express how much I'm looking forward to this trip!

Booked:
Flights
Island tour
Pearl Harbor
Reservations for Monkeypod, Makahiki (breakfast and dinner), Eggs n Things, Roy's. I figured we'd just wing it for the rest.
Massages for each of us
Photographer
Luau

I couldn't get any of the Aulani activities like ukulele lessons on the days we want, so I'll try day of.
Are you paying for the island tour or going on your own? Same for Pearl Harbor.

Are island tour and Pearl Harbor your two rental car days?

Sounds like the kids are young enough to go to Aulani, so they will probably like “Mo’olelelo Fire Pit Storytelling” (we love it and go every night it’s happening). It’s done a couple times a night on the days they do it. Check out the Daily ‘Iwa (activities schedule) on the website or Aulani app.

DVC? Check out Macarons and Mimosas on Thursday, or Saki and Poke on Fridays. I enjoyed them both.

Are you paying for the island tour or going on your own? Same for Pearl Harbor.

Are island tour and Pearl Harbor your two rental car days?

Sounds like the kids are young enough to go to Aulani, so they will probably like “Mo’olelelo Fire Pit Storytelling” (we love it and go every night it’s happening). It’s done a couple times a night on the days they do it. Check out the Daily ‘Iwa (activities schedule) on the website or Aulani app.

DVC? Check out Macarons and Mimosas on Thursday, or Saki and Poke on Fridays. I enjoyed them both.
We’re going on our own to PH. The island tour is another day all to itself with a tour company.

They will love the storytelling, thanks! I’ll put it in my notes to keep an eye out. Macaroons too, thanks. Very helpful.

On PH day, check out Tikis Grill for lunch
We’re going on our own to PH. The island tour is another day all to itself with a tour company.

They will love the storytelling, thanks! I’ll put it in my notes to keep an eye out. Macaroons too, thanks. Very helpful.
Menehune adventure trail is a lot of fun with little kids. It’s like a scavenger hunt with an iPad. Pick them up to rent for free in the Pau Hana Room.

Popcorn bucket refills are free for DVC. Get popcorn before storytelling. :)

Island Market (ABC store) across the street has good breakfast and is a nice walk in the morning.

Mickey ears are fun too.

So many things to do at the resort. We’ve been there 5 times (6 weeks total) and still have not done it all.

If you are coming from the West coast, bring some snacks (ie granola or protein bars, coffee) for the morning or stop into/walk over to Island Country Market as mentioned above so you have something in the room when you feel that time change and wake up very early. Kalepas store in Aulani is also ok for basic items, they have a small fridge section on the right hand side as you walk in.

We always grab coffee, milk, water, muffins, yogurt, fruit, etc no matter how tired we are from the travel day. Ulu cafe doesn't open until 6:30am so you are stuck until then.

Even if you are west coast, my kids were always up super early when they were young and it made a huge difference to have a few things for them to snack on in those first couple of early mornings.

That's more than I would plan, so I think you're good. The ABC store will have any little bits you forgot to bring.

If you are coming from the West coast, bring some snacks (ie granola or protein bars, coffee) for the morning or stop into/walk over to Island Country Market as mentioned above so you have something in the room when you feel that time change and wake up very early. Kalepas store in Aulani is also ok for basic items, they have a small fridge section on the right hand side as you walk in.

We always grab coffee, milk, water, muffins, yogurt, fruit, etc no matter how tired we are from the travel day. Ulu cafe doesn't open until 6:30am so you are stuck until then.

Even if you are west coast, my kids were always up super early when they were young and it made a huge difference to have a few things for them to snack on in those first couple of early mornings.
That's a great tip, thanks. I have a huge milk drinker who will be thirsty first thing in the morning.

is this something you need to sign up for?

Elaine

I wouldn't worry about reservations for Monkeypod, eggs n things or Roys. Leave yourself the flexibility to do them when it best fits your mood that day.

is this something you need to sign up for?

Elaine

I believe so. I think you need to call Member Services. I know the Macarons has a charge per person.

Booked:
Flights
Island tour
Pearl Harbor
Massages for each of us
Photographer
Luau

Dinner at Makahiki just isn’t very good, and I don’t think it’s worth the price. Roy’s gets mixed reviews both in terms of food quality and especially location, in an old country club building with zero views. Longhi’s at the Marriott, Ama Ama at Aulani, and Noe, Mina’s Fish House, and La Hiki at The Four Seasons are all great.

Dinner at Makahiki just isn’t very good, and I don’t think it’s worth the price. Roy’s gets mixed reviews both in terms of food quality and especially location, in an old country club building with zero views. Longhi’s at the Marriott, Ama Ama at Aulani, and Noe, Mina’s Fish House, and La Hiki at The Four Seasons are all great.

We picked Roy's and Makahiki because of the kid friendly vibe reviews I've heard. Are the other places you mentioned good for that too?

We picked Roy's and Makahiki because of the kid friendly vibe reviews I've heard. Are the other places you mentioned good for that too?
Not sure, since it’s just my wife and I. But the Makahiki dinner is over priced and not good. Honestly, it’s a rip off, though apparently the breakfast is better. Roy’s is better than Makahiki, but only mildly, and it’s at the bottom of the list of pricey restaurants, with pretty bad service. There’s also zero view, since it’s situated on an unlit golf course. It’s like you’re eating in outer space. You can do way better and actually have a great meal, which you won’t get at Roy’s and Makahiki, with the other available choices. Don’t throw your money away. Take them off your list.

That sounds like an amazing trip! The only other activity we did that wasn't on your list was walking on the trail up Diamond Head one beautiful morning. Little legs couldn't make it all the way up but there was a gorgeous lookout platform about 1/2-2/3 of the way up that made it worth it all the same. We found Roy's, Monkeypod, and Ama Ama to be very kid friendly with delicious food. Have a wonderful time!

That sounds like an amazing trip! The only other activity we did that wasn't on your list was walking on the trail up Diamond Head one beautiful morning. Little legs couldn't make it all the way up but there was a gorgeous lookout platform about 1/2-2/3 of the way up that made it worth it all the same. We found Roy's, Monkeypod, and Ama Ama to be very kid friendly with delicious food. Have a wonderful time!

I agree! Diamond Head would be a total disaster, but I'm hoping to do an easier hike on our tour day (I requested it). I'd LOVE to try Ama Ama, but wasn't sure with the kids. I have one with special needs who is kind of picky. I'll take a look at the menu.

Not sure, since it’s just my wife and I. But the Makahiki dinner is over priced and not good. Honestly, it’s a rip off, though apparently the breakfast is better. Roy’s is better than Makahiki, but only mildly, and it’s at the bottom of the list of pricey restaurants, with pretty bad service. There’s also zero view, since it’s situated on an unlit golf course. It’s like you’re eating in outer space. You can do way better and actually have a great meal, which you won’t get at Roy’s and Makahiki, with the other available choices. Don’t throw your money away. Take them off your list.
I appreciate your honesty, food for thought.

Make sure to build in time to just chill out and relax at the pools. Sunset photo opportunities are a must.

Everyone is going to have different opinions. Makahiki isn’t bad. Yes dinner is overpriced but the food was good. Breakfast there is fantastic. We usually do dinner there once and breakfast a few times. Monkey pod is good but I feel a bit overrated. The best food though is at Off the hook. They’re supposed to be adding a breakfast menu as well as moving the coffee bar there. Poke nachos ordered poolside are amazing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter