• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What airport have you used the most?

So, thinking about some of the airports mentioned here, what do you guys think of airports where they give it a place name that's less than accurate? For example, there's Fresno-Yosemite Airport, which is in Fresno. It's more than 60 miles from the south entrance to Yosemite National Park and over 90 miles to Yosemite Valley. Reno decided to call their airport Reno-Tahoe Airport, even though it's about 30 miles to Lake Tahoe. I guess the oddest one was when San Joaquin County was discussing renaming their airport San Francisco-Stockton Regional Airport.

This article mentions other airports brought up by the consultant who recommended the name change for Stockton Airport. Names like Chicago Rockford Airport and Orlando Melbourne Airport were mentioned as airports where a larger city name was tacked on for more visibility.

https://www.recordnet.com/news/20171019/san-francisco-airport-in-stockton

Detroit Metro isn't even in Detroit! ;)

So, thinking about some of the airports mentioned here, what do you guys think of airports where they give it a place name that's less than accurate? For example, there's Fresno-Yosemite Airport, which is in Fresno. It's more than 60 miles from the south entrance to Yosemite National Park and over 90 miles to Yosemite Valley. Reno decided to call their airport Reno-Tahoe Airport, even though it's about 30 miles to Lake Tahoe. I guess the oddest one was when San Joaquin County was discussing renaming their airport San Francisco-Stockton Regional Airport.

This article mentions other airports brought up by the consultant who recommended the name change for Stockton Airport. Names like Chicago Rockford Airport and Orlando Melbourne Airport were mentioned as airports where a larger city name was tacked on for more visibility.

With McCarran airport the code for it is LAS for Las Vegas for years now. Senator Harry Reid tried to pass a bill that would allow the name change to Las Vegas International airport, but it failed. Future wise I can see the name change passing due to Vegas’s growth adding the NHL and NFL to the city. Time will tell.

With the much much smaller airport such as Laughlin, NV / Bullhead City, AZ airport where the airport is located in Bullhead City, AZ has Laughlin, NV attached due the glitz and it tourist destination. Not because of the larger population. From an economical standpoint makes sense. Since it does benefit both cities and States.

The airport I use most often is Bradley International in WINDSOR LOCKS, CT. We live 15-20 minutes from it. And I was just thinking how it irritates me when people say Hartford. I do realize that it's close, and that people who don't live here would say, "Where the heck is Windsor Locks?", but it still bothers me a bit. When I was a kid, flying in and out every year, they did say Windsor Locks. Then for a while it was "Hartford-Springfield." Now it's just Hartford.

It always depended on where we were living and who had the best prices. Occasionally it would also depend on destination availability.

When we lived in...
CA: Flying out of SJO (San Jose), into SNA (Anaheim)
WA: Flying out of GEG (Spokane), into SNA/MCO (Anaheim/Orlando), alternative out of SEA into SNA/MCO (Anaheim/Orlando)
TN: Flying out of MEM (Memphis), into MCO (Orlando)

Flying out - I prefer Providence (which is really in Warwick RI LOL) but unfortunately I tend to get better fares out of Boston. We've been watching the fares out of Hartford and will definitely use that airport if it makes $$ sense!

Flying to - MCO and Columbus are the two most frequented destinations....one for play, one for work LOL

Detroit Metro isn't even in Detroit! ;)

Sure. But that's kind of in the realm of being somewhat OK because it's actually the closest major airport to Detroit. A lot of major airports were built away from major city centers. San Francisco International Airport is well outside the city limits, but it's the closest airport to San Francisco. Same thing with Cincinnati-Northern Kentucky Airport.

Calling that airport in Florida "Orlando Melbourne Airport" is really odd. It's 70 miles away and there are already two passenger airports serving Orlando.

Sure. But that's kind of in the realm of being somewhat OK because it's actually the closest major airport to Detroit. A lot of major airports were built away from major city centers. San Francisco International Airport is well outside the city limits, but it's the closest airport to San Francisco. Same thing with Cincinnati-Northern Kentucky Airport.

Calling that airport in Florida "Orlando Melbourne Airport" is really odd. It's 70 miles away and there are already two passenger airports serving Orlando.
Well MCI is from Mid-Continent International which was the original name. They've tried over the years to get it to change officially to KCI but they are unable to in large part to the FCC, another airport in the world with the designation already being KCI and that all the charts already have MCI. But for all actual purposes it's KCI. The website is flykci(.com), signs are all for KCI, etc.

While not exactly the same lines you're talking about names for airports can kinda be funny/odd for a variety of reasons.

Well MCI is from Mid-Continent International which was the original name. They've tried over the years to get it to change officially to KCI but they are unable to in large part to the FCC, another airport in the world with the designation already being KCI and that all the charts already have MCI. But for all actual purposes it's KCI. The website is flykci(.com), signs are all for KCI, etc.

While not exactly the same lines you're talking about names for airports can kinda be funny/odd for a variety of reasons.

It’s also way outside KC LOL.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter