• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What age to take baby on Cruise?

jjgarv

Gotta get away to where the boat leaves from...
At what age have you fealt comfortable with taking a baby on a cruise? What were you experiences with having a baby on the cruise? Our daughter will be between 4 and 14 months when we tak our next cruise, any suggestions?

This is just MHO.

I would not take a child under 2-3 months, at least. There immune systems haven't fully developed and they are more prone to infection, etc. This is pretty standard info. Usually your doctor tells you to watch for any fevers, etc. before that age.

Our child was sick at 1 mo. of age with Group B Strep and the nurses all said the first four months are the months when they need to be watched more closely.

It sounds like your child would be old enough officially-I think Disney's minimum age is 2 months-probably in part for the above stated reasons and the fact that you are on a ship and may be far from specialty medical care.

I think it all depends on the individual. Have you had any serious medical problems, etc. with a child. If not, then I wouldn't worry. From what I have heard the medical care on the ship is pretty good if you need it.

When we were at WDW in October we saw tons of people with little ones younger than 4 months who had just come from cruising and they all had no complaints.

A very important thing to consider with the cruise is childcare. Although the programs for children on the Disney cruises is legendary, everyone should realize that they are only for children 3 and up and potty trained. Children younger than that can be cared for in the nursery, but it has VERY limited hours and availability. We were extremely disappointed when we got on board to find that there were no nursery hours for my 1-year-old during the time of the SCUBA excursion, and that was the reason that we wanted the Disney cruise in the first place!

And I don't know WHAT you're supposed to do with a 3 year old that's not yet fully potty trained...

Disappointing that Disney has so little provision for CHILDREN!
(Can you tell I'm still upset?)

Meghan

Actually Disney doesn't accept infants under 12 weeks of age. I took my son at 18 months, and he was fine, and MUCH older. He did go to the nursery at nights for a couple of hours and LOVED it!!! Now, to give some information on the limited hours at Flounders, yes there are limited hours but I knew about them before I left home. Usually the hours are in the afternoons 1 - 5 I think, and then 6 - 12 at night. I also knew that Flounders only offers coverage for a few shorter excursions, not all day ones due to their limited hours. Personally, I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving my childrem on the ship, while I got off, while I know some people do. I'd personally wait until the little one was at least 8 months old and was a little easier to travel with. At that age, they like some of the different stimulis and can be entertained much more easily. Also, if you have a 3 year old who isn't potty trained, they are welcomed into Flounders if you need some alone time. Personally, I feel Disney does A LOT with the children's progamming and I was VERY happy with it. It can't be everything for everyone, and to expect that is being unrealistic in my opinion.

I didn't ask for it to be everything to everyone, and I didn't want to leave a child under 8 months old on the ship all day. I just wanted sitting for a one-year old for three hours in the morning, but mornings were not on the schedule, and that was the only time for the scuba outing. I didn't think I was unrealistic; I was just uninformed, and no information I had from Disney in advance told me that sitting would be unavailable during some of the outings. I am trying to help other parents from the same, uninformed, fate.

Just trying to share information so others can plan around it.

They don't have to be potty trained. It's just that they won't change them if they have an accident.

Hmmm, now I wonder how that digestive disease might have started.... :)

Really, just kidding, please don't flame me.

Although I think you would have a fabulous time no matter what age, I would prefer to go when the baby is older. At 14 months your child will be able to play on the beach and in the water. At a crawling age you may find it a little more difficult although still enjoyable. We have traveled many times with our children and I have found it a little more relaxing when I don't have to worry about heating up baby food, etc.

We've never cruised with babies but when my sister-in-law asked if we thought her 2 & 4 year olds would like the cruise, I told her to wait until the youngest was 3. I cannot imagine fighting with a 2 year old over the pool for the entire trip. Of course they will want to go in, especially if they have an older sibling in the water. While they can go to the beach to swim, that Mickey pool is so much fun and a two year old will not understand why they can't go in it. That does not sound like a fun trip to me! Plus, how much can you really enjoy the shows, dinners with a cranky toddler? I think a smaller baby (under a year) would be easier than a toddler.

we took DD to WDW when she was just about 3 months old for the first time. it was really easy. at that age, all she did was eat and sleep.

we took her on her first cruise at 5 months (not DCL though). i never expected to leave her with anyone, which was fine because on the line we sailed there was no babysitting available. again, she did great. slept at the shows and stayed entertained in her carrier at dinner, etc.

it got trickier once she became mobile. on our last few cruises with her (16 and 17 months), she was mostly only interested in climbing stairs and running around! it was still do-able, but we reminisced about the "old days" when she slept all the time and it was SO easy to travel with her.

she is 20 months now and we're sailing on the Wonder next week. I'm sure she will appreciate things slightly more than when we previously took her to WDW (like checking out the characters, etc). we'll try flounder's one night, but otherwise I expect she'll behave ok on board and have fun at the beach.

for us, it was definitely EASIER to travel when she was smaller (I was also nursing full-time, so we didn't have any bottles to worry about). Now, it's trickier finding ways to make sure she's occupied and happy and well-rested. But, i think SHE has more fun now.

good luck! anywhere between 4 and 14 months should be just fine- it's up to you. be sure to consult your pediatrician if you have any concerns over your child's health. many cruise lines have restrictions on how old children must be in order to cruise.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter