What Activities did your parents not want you doing growing up?

reecejackox

DIS Veteran
my father didnt want to go fishing because he thought i would be bored and golf because he said i would take a while to finish one hole on a full golf course.

Cheerleading, drill team, sororities/fraternities. They didnt have to worry, we all had the same prejudices. We basically followed our parents footsteps and did music and academics. The grandchildren followed suit.

Practically everything that involved me getting out of my Mother's sight. She was crazily over-protective. We now understand she fought a severe anxiety disorder - before anything of the kind was recognized. My Dad compensated so overall, I didn't miss out on too many normal childhood activities.

Snow skiing.
My mom grew up in Canada. Her goal as an adult was to move away from the snow. She did. She was also an RN in the surgery department of a hospital.
She did not understand why people voluntarily went to the snow.
She REALLY did not understand why people PAID to go to the snow.
During ski reason she assisted on many surgeries to repair injuries that happened while people were skiing.
So snow skiing was a big NO.

Besides the usual smoking, drinks, drugs type stuff, I couldn’t sleep at ppl’s houses for sleep overs except for 2 families & even that wasn’t until I was probably about 10.

Besides the usual smoking, drinks, drugs type stuff, I couldn’t sleep at ppl’s houses for sleep overs except for 2 families & even that wasn’t until I was probably about 10.
Me too, all the bad stuff. I wasn't even allowed to stay over late at my friends place without adult supervision. All their rules actually made me a better person :)

Besides the usual stuff, they didn’t really have strict rules. I stayed over with friends, they stayed with me. I had a curfew but it wasn’t written in stone.

Activities like band, cheerleading, etc, also my choice. They didn’t have an issue with any groups of people by their activities, only individuals.

Oh there was one thing. Mom didn’t like motorcycles so didn’t want me on them. But it was ok because after one ride, I was afraid of them too.

Activities like band, cheerleading, etc, also my choice. They didn’t have an issue with any groups of people by their activities, only individuals.
My parents were much more likely to have an issue with activities than individuals.

Pretty much any activity that needed money or transportation. The girls took dance lessons but we walked to and from. No sports that required fees or uniforms. Once we were old enough to fund things on our own it was ok. There were 8 kids, my mom didn't drive and was a stay at home mom, so the finances just weren't available. Basics were provided but extras were up to us. I was active in high school and babysat every weekend to be able to do things. I just found out a couple of years ago that one of my brothers was on the high school basketball team. I don't think my parents ever knew. He went to a different high school than I did and it was only for 1 year . We also weren't allowed to drive until we could fully afford our own cars. we were a 1 car family and my dad usually worked 2nd shift so it wouldn't have been available when we wanted it anyway. It made us develop good work habits.

This isn’t exactly an activity, but I wasn’t allowed in the car with anyone driving who wasn’t an adult, until I got my license. The only exception to that was my ex boyfriend because my parents knew him a year before I met him and adored him. He was also 4 years older than me.
My parents already knew I smoked, but they wouldn’t get me cigarettes or let me smoke in the house til I was 18. They were/are both smokers.

There was a lot of things we didn't do growing up. But the only things I remember that I wanted to do that I never got to do was cheer leading. They practiced at the park across the street from my house growing up. I remember going to sleep in the summers and hearing the girls practicing.

Oh so many! No Barbies, no show related toys, very many shows weren’t allowed (Happy Days, Brady Bunch, etc) no two piece bathing suits, boys had to come up to the door whether just a friend or a date. Phone calls were limited to 30 min and could only go out with boyfriend once a week and talk on the phone three times a week with him. There were many other just situational ones. My friends all knew my parents were incredibly strict and they all rolled with it.

For the record though, I thought they were awesome parents. I had a wonderful relationship with them and never rebelled. The rules didn’t bother me, it iwas just the way life was.

Really the only rules we had were due to finances... we didn't have extra cash or automobiles for a lot of driving to activities so we were allowed to have ONE that involved after-school practice.
Two of my sisters were in Show Choir. I was in Theater. Another was a Majorette.
We were allowed to borrow a family car (one of only two cars for six people) and go out once a weekend.

We never balked, it was just how life was.

My mom told me I was not to drive on 95 or the Merritt parkway. She had anxiety over the highway so stopped driving on it when she had a nervous breakdown (yet she would fly down Main Street going 50).

But I drove both when I got my license. I didn’t tell her though. I would think it was more the inexperienced driver oh and probably her anxiety too. Oh and my oldest is 18 and her first time on 95 alone she just had to get on and get over the bridge to get off and the same for the return. She didn’t even have to change lanes. But she texted me when she got to her destination. Now she has driven up 91 to and from school at least 5-6 times on her own (Southern CT to Southern NH).

The one thing I really remember was that I couldn't go to the strip mall arcade. NOPE! My dad was convinced there was bad things going down at any arcade because parents just dropped their kids off and there was no real supervision.

... in reality, he was correct. I do recall hearing about lots of fights and drug dealings at the arcade.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter