• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What’s the best time to ride Storybook Land Canal?

momto3boysillbe

Mouseketeer
We will have an early entry morning on the 5th of Sept. and we’re planning to start in Fantasyland as suggested in the other threads. I’m really excited to ride some of the rides that WDW doesn’t have and one of my most anticipated is the Story Book Land canal boats. Should we hit it after the other fantasyland rides or is there another time of day that it is enjoyable or magical?

Storybook isn’t open for EMH/MM, so you’d have to hit it when the park officially opens. That’s usually when we ride it (when there’s not really a line) because the line can be pretty long and slow later on.

I do love it at night, but if you’ve never been on it, I’d definitely hit it during the daytime first so you have maximum visibility for all the little details! You can always ride again to get the nighttime experience.

Thanks for the suggestions! I don’t watch ride spoilers for things I’ve never ridden before but I had a feeling it would be a little more magical in the evening. I want to see everything in the daylight too though. Hopefully We can fit both times in!

Night time is great but as early in the AM as you can too, you get a very different perspective, if you got in the AM first then you have an idea of what you will see it but its so different at night too.

You should try it your next visit! It seems so vintage Disney to me that it’s a must do on my list. I’m excited!
I'm still not sure how it hasn't happened. As a kid, I was always fascinated by the boat going into the mouth of Monstro. Then again, it wasn't until my last trip that I finally saw Great Moments With Mr. Lincoln, and I had to do that alone, because nobody wanted to join me.

I love this ride at dusk/night but that's when the line is typically the longest. Being a vintage ride, the queue isn't very interesting and not very shaded. So riding first thing in the morning (once the park opens) would be ideal.

My DD and DGD rode it about a half hour before the Main Street Electrical Parade while the boys held a parade spot near Small World. We waited in line maybe 10 minutes. The ride is very cute and I am glad we rode it. It seems to be one on previous trips we never found the right time to do.

So the boats aren't listed as open during MM but often once they have done their safety ride checks etc, they will open before the full park since they are right there in Fantasyland, however they may only have one or two boats if they open early. So if you are there for MM I would hop on over and ask the cast member what time they will open. That line is HOT and slow moving so if it has filled up the queue we generally skip it and come back much later in the evening. I like to ride once in the morning and once at night when everything is lit up.

I'm still not sure how it hasn't happened. As a kid, I was always fascinated by the boat going into the mouth of Monstro. Then again, it wasn't until my last trip that I finally saw Great Moments With Mr. Lincoln, and I had to do that alone, because nobody wanted to join me.
That’s the part that draws me in as well and I’ve only seen some photos. As a kid I imagine it was so interesting to see. Well I hope you get a chance to next time!

So the boats aren't listed as open during MM but often once they have done their safety ride checks etc, they will open before the full park since they are right there in Fantasyland, however they may only have one or two boats if they open early. So if you are there for MM I would hop on over and ask the cast member what time they will open. That line is HOT and slow moving so if it has filled up the queue we generally skip it and come back much later in the evening. I like to ride once in the morning and once at night when everything is lit up.
That’s sounds like a great plan!

I feel like you have to ride it twice: once in the daytime to be able to take photos and appreciate all the little details and then ride it again after dark for a very different & slightly more magical experience

Yeah, I think if you're doing MM I'd get the rest of FL out of the way first. Some people say don't try for PP first, but lately it's been looking quite reasonable if you walk with purpose at opening. After PP (or not) I'd do Alice, Matterhorn, Dumbo, Teacups, Toad, Snow White, Pinocchio, carousel (or FP Matterhorn to do right at regular opening). Then jump on Canal Boats whenever it opens in that lineup. Just a suggestion. That's how we usually roll for MM. :)

Yeah, I think if you're doing MM I'd get the rest of FL out of the way first. Some people say don't try for PP first, but lately it's been looking quite reasonable if you walk with purpose at opening. After PP (or not) I'd do Alice, Matterhorn, Dumbo, Teacups, Toad, Snow White, Pinocchio, carousel (or FP Matterhorn to do right at regular opening). Then jump on Canal Boats whenever it opens in that lineup. Just a suggestion. That's how we usually roll for MM. :)
Thanks for a great plan!

Definitely do it at night! But do it in the day time too if you can swing it. I love that ride. One of my favorites and quintessential Disneyland.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter