• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

We've joined the club. Canceling final vacations of the year...

wilbret

DIS Veteran
The reality just got real. We had a trip planned for next week that included visiting the Okefenokee, then to Volcano Bay (Cabana Bay), then to the Poly to hit the Disney Waterparks, with a trip to Legoland for good measure to use our passes that have gone to waste. We canceled the Poly when DVC asked us to confirm, and the water parks weren't open, and there were no park ticket sales at the time. I just canceled the Volcano Bay portion, and I am seriously bummed about it.

We have to make the call this week on our October trip to AKL, so we can bank points if needed. I want to go, but my wife isn't as gung ho, nor is the sister in law.

Had strategically planned the year to use vacation days, and now I've got 2 weeks to spend, I guess I'll use them at Christmas, but frankly... I'd rather be riding roller coasters. :-)

It's depressing to think about all the vacations being cancelled. We've not been able to make our normal plans for a nice winter beach vacation (to escape cold and snowy Minnesota for a few weeks) and at the rate things are going, we may not be able to go. Which is just sad. But, I'm not traveling anywhere until things are more under control. At the moment, they most definitely are not. Better safe than sorry.

We did a Disney Cruise in February so we got our Disney trip out of the way for the year. We cancelled trips last month and this month. I have another week off in October that nothing is currently planned for. However, if I cancel my October leave then I will be over my use or lose balance. I am expecting to hear soon that there will be no rollover extension so if that is the case then I'll definitely keep the days off and go from there...it might just be a drive to the mountains but that will be okay.

I understand, it's so hard to cancel. I had to cancel my May tip and I am holding back on canceling my mid-October and early December trips. I know I should cancel them but I just can't bring myself to do it yet. They're room only reservations and I can move the separate tickets I have. But I have a hard time admitting that I won't be going to WDW this year.

Last edited:
Fortunately for us, WDW, wasn’t on our agenda this summer. Booked a local vacation back in May when it seemed we wouldn’t be comfortable traveling far even if the country opened back up. No where I want to visit will currently accept our passports this winter so we’ll stick to the Northeast for colder weather.
Nothing wrong with boosting the regional economy.

Cancelling travel stinks. We had to cancel some stuff (including DCL) but we adjusted our thought process, retooled, and found places closer to home to visit. If you are comfortable with staying in a hotel or rental house right now, there are still plenty of options out there! And some great deals to be had as well. Smart, safe travel is still possible, it just looks a little different than what most of us are used to doing. Take the needed time to mourn your well planned out trips that aren’t happening. Then plan something closer to home. Don’t waste any vacation days, especially not in these trying times where you need a stress reliever. There are still great times to be had in 2020! And full-on travel WILL be back someday!

To be clear... we are spoiled rotten. We went in February before the shutdown, and we've been able to go to the beach since then for our annual pseudo-family-reunion, and worked in a couple trips to Orlando for rocket launches along the way. We aren't missing out on our once in a lifetime trip or once a year trip, I do really feel for those folks.

Still, it stinks... no MNSSHP, no HHN, no etc etc...

Let's see since March -
Canceled RV trip to Vegas & staffing Baker to Vegas run.
Canceled RV trip to Chula Vista with RV group
Canceled river cruise in Belgium/Netherlands. Moved reservation to a land trip in Ireland.
Canceled major RV trip (3 months) to Canadian Maritimes.
Canceled Ireland trip. Moved reservation to next year's river cruise (we hope)
Had a cruise to Cuba that got moved to a Sea of Cortes cruise. That cruise had to be cancelled due to Ireland trip.
Canceled future cruise deposits on 2 different cruise lines.

I really need a trip somewhere.

Cancelling travel stinks. We had to cancel some stuff (including DCL) but we adjusted our thought process, retooled, and found places closer to home to visit. If you are comfortable with staying in a hotel or rental house right now, there are still plenty of options out there! And some great deals to be had as well. Smart, safe travel is still possible, it just looks a little different than what most of us are used to doing. Take the needed time to mourn your well planned out trips that aren’t happening. Then plan something closer to home. Don’t waste any vacation days, especially not in these trying times where you need a stress reliever. There are still great times to be had in 2020! And full-on travel WILL be back someday!
We are comfortable staying in hotels, I've actually traveled for work a few times and we've gone to Florida 4x for rocket launches, Memorial Day and the 4th. The starts just didn't align with the whole masks in parks thing, reservations, no Disney water parks being open, etc. We felt like the trip lost it's luster and wasn't worth it to just keep the Volcano Bay portion. The in-laws have a condo at the beach, it looks like it's open next week. We may just do that as a final send off to summer...

I'm sorry. Cancelling vacations breaks my heart a little, even though I know it's first world problems. We've also cancelled everything for this year and for the first half of next year. Well except for our Thanksgiving Disneyland trip, which I'm 99.99% sure we'll cancel, but I'm having a rough week and just can't bring myself to do it yet.

We have made alternate plans for a safer vacation this year (driving, staying in state, renting a house), but CA is so on edge with rollbacks that I'm waiting every day for the news that short term rentals aren't allowed.

And we've rebooked other plans for next summer, but I'm anticipating that will be cancelled too.

It sucks!

It's ok to be sad, even when overall circumstances for you aren't awful. I'm in the same boat. Have canceled several trips, including one with a BFF that had us hiking and spending the night in a much coveted hostel in the middle of nowhere (just imagine the views, and the stars.)

yep....not fun. We love to travel. Haven't been home this long in years.

WDW was canceled in May
DCL canceled in June
We canceled river cruise to Russia and river cruise to Egypt :(

We are going to WDW in Dec.

Cancelled May vacation, effectively cancelled August vacation because travel plan wasn't lifted.

Now we're thinking about a beach trip in September to Florida, but, you know...Florida...so we probably won't go then, either.

#firstworldproblems, I know.

Had to cancel a trip to Hawaii in the fall.
I cancelled a family vacation when NY put out it's quarantine list but was able to book something in the Northeast instead.

Things could be worse. Canceling a vacation is really not a problem. Consider yourself blessed if that's your only problem.
Of course there are bigger problems. Nobody ever claimed this was a big problem. But people are allowed to feel disappointment over situations. For many of us travel is what fills our bucket, it's what resets us. So we're all picking what's safer and that's to cancel, but it's dismissive to act like mental health doesn't matter.

Things could be worse. Canceling a vacation is really not a problem. Consider yourself blessed if that's your only problem.
Who said it was their only problem?

I feel bad for people canceling trips/vacations. Due to finances I didn’t have a trip planned this year. I am glad I didn’t have to cancel a trip I’d been looking forward to.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter