Wet Rides

123SA

DIS Veteran
I understand we will get soaking wet on the 3 water rides at IOA. We like getting wet on the rides, but hate walking around soaking wet. At WDW, for Kali River Rapids, I pack entire new outfits for us and flip flops in a back pack. We change after the ride and take turns lugging the back pack. A large backpack doesn't sound feasible at IOA. Too many rides require us to store it.

How do you handle the wet rides?

I was thinking one day we'd just do it at the end of the day and walk back to the hotel (Hard Rock).

Does it make sense to ride mid-day, head back to the hotel to change and have lunch and then head back to the park? Does that take up too much time?

We wear quick drying stuff. I have a fabulous skort from Athleta. I wear sandals (vs socks and sneakers or running shoes). With that stuff, being wet actually isn't a huge deal on a hot day. Fabric like that is so easy to find in athletic apparel; I wouldn't deal with changing clothes and the various scenarios you presented.

We've gone back to our resort (RPR) and hopped in the pool. We take mid day breaks anyways so it works out fine to ride right before heading back to the hotel

We wear quick drying stuff. I have a fabulous skort from Athleta. I wear sandals (vs socks and sneakers or running shoes). With that stuff, being wet actually isn't a huge deal on a hot day. Fabric like that is so easy to find in athletic apparel; I wouldn't deal with changing clothes and the various scenarios you presented.

Sounds like a great idea!

We try to ride when it is the hottest, and then let ourselves dry naturally. You'll be surprised how fast you can dry in the summer sun in Florida. It's a great way to cool off. We avoid the rides in winter. I am just too cold natured to get wet when the temp is below 90.

Your plan to go back and change at HR is great as well. It isn't my favorite hotel overall, but I definitely love how close it is to the parks. Last trip, we stayed there, and we ended up going back and forth between the park and the room much more than we normally do because it was so convenient and quick. We'd have lunch in the park or Citywalk and send one "runner" back to the room with leftovers. They would usually meet back up with us in 30 minutes or less depending on where we were. Hotel pool gate to US gate is about 5 minutes; add another 5 to get to IOA. I'd say in about 15-20 minutes or less, you can reach about any destination from the hotel. So very doable as a short wardrobe change.

We did them all back to back and we did bring clothes just to ride and we headed right back to the resort after we were done.
But, we only got wet on 2 of the 3. Didn't get wet at all on Jurassic Park

So we got to the park, rode a few other rides in IOA to start, changed in to athletic wear like PP mentioned (DGD work a tankini swimsuit with shorts) and we rode Bluto's over and over again. Rode Dudley's a couple of times but didn't like it so much so went back to Bluto's and rode it over and over some more till we felt like we would be wet for days and days. Headed out from there, and chose to walk back to RPR, vs taking the boat, being so wet.
Stopped and went right in the pool. Well, DGD did. DH and I ate Nachos and drank beer.

I like the pool and nachos idea. I think I'd like to substitute a margarita instead of the beer.

We all have quick drying clothes. I could probably tell the kids to suck it up. For me, it's the bra. If it gets soaked, it will not dry. Then I'll be walking around with wet patches...just no.

I don't do mid-day breaks at Disney, so I am not used to them as a reasonable option. At WDW, it just takes too long to travel back and forth. It doesn't make any sense to me to do this if you don't have a sleepy, cranky toddler. But at Universal, it seems that traveling back to Hard Rock Hotel is not a big time eater. We have 5 whole days and 2 partial days at Universal. Seems like I should have plenty of time to take some breaks.

I like the pool and nachos idea. I think I'd like to substitute a margarita instead of the beer.

We all have quick drying clothes. I could probably tell the kids to suck it up. For me, it's the bra. If it gets soaked, it will not dry. Then I'll be walking around with wet patches...just no.

I don't do mid-day breaks at Disney, so I am not used to them as a reasonable option. At WDW, it just takes too long to travel back and forth. It doesn't make any sense to me to do this if you don't have a sleepy, cranky toddler. But at Universal, it seems that traveling back to Hard Rock Hotel is not a big time eater. We have 5 whole days and 2 partial days at Universal. Seems like I should have plenty of time to take some breaks.

We did 9 nights at Hard Rock ... and trust me ... with 5 nights and 2 partial days you'll have time to take breaks: even more so now with FOL included with the Potter attractions.

PS - for those that haven't done it before the Popeye/Bluto raft ride is hands down IMO - much better (certainly longer) than Kali River Rapids. Not that Kali is a bad ride: Popeye is better.

Last edited:

I wear a sports bra (a really one for these girls, but a sports bra none the less) so it dries fast and doesn't chafe. It clips in the back too, to convert to racerback to be no show under the quick dry tanks I have. I was worried as I hadn't worn it soaking wet but it worked out great

And yes, you will have all the time you need with that time. The travel time is close too. If you really feel like you need it, they have human driers outside their water rides too. I think they are $5, not sure for how long. May be worth a run through to get dry enough if you feel like you'd rather take the boat back. I just didn't want to because I didn't want to soak their seat. If you brought a towel that may be an option too. We did put all our stuff in a locker outside Bluto's, the first ride we did and left it till we were ready to go. These are the only lockers that aren't free at Universal but it wasn't much either. Worth it to just leave it, so we planned to start and end at Bluto's, plus it's the first/last as you come/go from the park.

PS - for those that haven't done it before the Popeye/Bluto raft ride is hands down IMO - much better (certainly longer) than Kali River Rapids. Not that Kali is a bad ride: Popeye is better.
Yes, 100X yes! Bluto is to Kali as Goofy's coaster is to Big Thunder. Neither are bad but one is clearly superior versions. After having done Bluto's I'm not sure we'd even bother with Kali. Well, we might but if you think you get wet on Kali you will learn you don't. You get splashed on. I didn't know you could get so wet on a ride as you get on Bluto's. We didn't get that wet on slides at Blizzard Beach! Fun as heck though, when you are prepared.

We did all 3 water rides and went back to the room to change. Those clothes smelled bad from the water even after drying, so I would not to walk around all day in them.

When we do Kali, I wear my bathing suit under my shirt, quick-drying shorts, and bring flip flops and a towel for the ride, and change into clothes afterward.

We wore sandals and bathing suits, covered with shorts for the women, added a shirt for the boys. We did early entry to see Harry Potter, then headed to the water rides. We rode all three multiple times (with Express Pass) and then headed back to the hotel for lunch, a change of clothes, and what turned out to be a break from the heavy rain. As the rain ended we headed back to the park.

Does it make sense to ride mid-day, head back to the hotel to change and have lunch and then head back to the park? Does that take up too much time?
You didn't say when you were going. During the hottest summer months, you might enjoy being wet. I would definitely wear quick dry clothes. I have heard there are dryers outside the wet rides, but that they do not do much. In summer the parks are open much later, so it makes sense to take time out to change at the HR. If you are going off season, the parks close earlier, so you may want to do the end of the day thing.

3rd week in August. It will be plenty hot! Thanks to all for your suggestions.

With the length of time you are spending, you may want to consider doing the rides prior to heading to Volcano Bay. It seems like the capacity issues usually thin up around 2-3pm, so that would be an easy late morning thing prior to an afternoon at the water park since you will be soaked anyway.

I LOVE all the water rides, but HATE being wet. However you decide to tackle them, just make sure you experience them all, as they are some of the best & most thrilling water rides I've ever been on.

Riding mid-day when it's hot you cna dry out quick, but if you wnat to bring a change that can be doable too. Yes a lto fo rides require you to put it in a locker but they are free and easy to use. Most of them require you to put everything in lockers too including wallet and phones so you will liekly have to grab a locker anyhow.
That said your plant o ride at the end of the day and go bakc to your room after works fine as well. Did that one day on my last visit there. Luckily all three rides are located right by each other so easy to hit them all at once and not have to worry about criss crossing the park or having to get wet again.

We do many of the things mentioned here - wear quick drying clothes, water shoes/flip flops, go on a few rides then these 3 - as much as we want while we're wet, walk back (to RPR) for lunch & swimming, then get ready to go back to the park for dinner & a few hours til closing. It usually works out well because we'll be getting ready to go back as the afternoon showers are typically hitting, then ready to go once done (end of August).

One additional thing we do though - I have the waterproof box-type thing that I wear around my neck to the water parks/beach. I'll take that on that day w/ all the tixs, room key, express passes, some money/credit card & just use that so not to bother having a bag. We don't bring our cell phones either - nothing wrong w/ being unreachable for a few hours! Usually, we'll bring the underwater camera w/ the strap for our wrist to take pictures on the rides.

I was thinking one day we'd just do it at the end of the day and walk back to the hotel (Hard Rock).

We always plan to do the water rides as the last thing of the day at IOA so we can head straight back to our resort to change. We usually get there at park opening and will finish IOA by mid-afternoon, so we don't usually take a mid-day break there. Also, we go during a time of year when IOA will close around 7pm, so it doesn't leave much time to go back after a mid-day break.

One additional thing we do though - I have the waterproof box-type thing that I wear around my neck to the water parks/beach. I'll take that on that day w/ all the tixs, room key, express passes, some money/credit card & just use that so not to bother having a bag. We don't bring our cell phones either - nothing wrong w/ being unreachable for a few hours! Usually, we'll bring the underwater camera w/ the strap for our wrist to take pictures on the rides.

That's a great idea for keep stuff dry. For those that don't have one and don't want to spend the money, another cheap thing i'll do is just take a ziploc bag or two to put phone and/or wallet in to keep it dry.

I've done only 2 of them, Jurassic Park and the barges, for both the poncho worked, for Jurassic you might not even get soaked just a little bit depending on where you sit on the ride, now on the popeye ride here is my plan and it has worked, the barges have a nice waterproof compartment in the middle for shoes and socks, I fold my pants up if needed and wear a poncho well tucked in

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter