Wet rides - how wet?

tidblgrrer

Mouseketeer
We have ridden them before, but it has been a six years so I want to be prepared. Splash Mountain: usually we just put on rain gear and our feet stay dry. Kali - we wear rain gear and change into sandals. Is this still a safe plan?

Yup - you get completely soaked on kali.

On splash, there are really just 2 places that you have to look out for... one is when you 1st get started and can see the logs coming down the hill. The splash from their landing can get you soaked so get ready to put up your hood.

After that, you don’t really get wet until you actually go down the hill. I put my hood up and duck my head down mid hill - after the picture.

Then after zippity do da room when you’re on your way to the end, there’s a waterfall on the tight that can get you - especially if your log stops next to it!

We’ve noticed that when it’s chilly out, they reduce the splash so you don’t really get very wet and sometimes they’ll also turn off that waterfall at the end.

Last edited:
Still a good plan - oddly I have started either pulling a poncho down over my lap or wrapping my coat around my bottom on Pirates. The last few times we have gotten our pants pretty wet on the drops (it comes over the sides in a wave)- probably because the boats we loaded very full.

Yup - you get completely soaked on kali.

On splash, there are really just 2 places that you have to look out for... one is when you 1st get started and can see the logs coming down the hill. The splash from their landing can get you soaked so get ready to put up your hood.

After that, you don’t really get wet until you actually go down the hill. I put my hood up and duck my head down mid hill - after the picture.

Then after zippity do da room when you’re on your way to the end, there’s a waterfall on the tight that can get you - especially if your log stops next to it!

We’ve noticed that when it’s chilly out, they reduce the splash so you don’t really get very wet and sometimes they’ll also turn off that waterfall at the end.
Well, on our recent trip, my kids rode Kali and barely got wet. We all rode Splash several times and got SOAKED. I guess that’s to say it varies. 🤣
I do have a couple theories on Splash. 1. I think they turn up the Splash Factor on SM in the warm summer months. 2. It depends on the makeup of the people in the boat and where they are sitting.

Still a good plan - oddly I have started either pulling a poncho down over my lap or wrapping my coat around my bottom on Pirates. The last few times we have gotten our pants pretty wet on the drops (it comes over the sides in a wave)- probably because the boats we loaded very full.
Us too. Also noticed that the cannon shots are now stronger and we’ve gotten pretty wet from those as well.

You may get soaked on Kali but not a guarantee, Usually 2 of the people in the boat stay much dryer.
Splash I rarely get wet on anymore (couple light splashes at most), usually get much wetter on Pirates.

We went a few weeks ago and got significantly wetter on Splash than we did on Kali. We barely got wet on all on Kali at all, which is already one of the most underwhelming rides in WDW. It was in the 90s and we wanted to get wet. We dried off easily from both given how hot it was. I wouldn’t worry unless you are wearing socks (wet socks suck) or it is cold out.

Splash will never "soak" you. You'll get some splashes, depending on time of year and where you sit (front gets wetter), but you'll never get too wet. Most of the splash at the end goes outward, not in.

Kali will vary greatly. If you're going backwards down the drop and the water level is high, you will get utterly soaked. If you're facing forward and/or water level is low (winter), you'll just get a few drops.

I rode Splash Mountain just two days ago and barely got wet at all, but I was sitting in the back. However, I was checking on other people getting off before I got on, and it seemed no one was really getting all that wet. We had brought ponchos just in case but literally not one other person was wearing one so we decided not to either.

If your legs are long enough on Kali you can rest them on the ring in the center of the raft. No guarantees as that ride is so random, but it kept my feet dry last time I rode.

DW and I rode Splash in early April and got the full treatment: doused everywhere they have water features, plus soaked after going down the big drop. We were soaked through like never before on that attraction. But we were in row 1 and that seems to be the worst.

It varies on everything. I've left them all completely dried, I've left them all completely soaked, and I've left somewhere in between. I also did get wetter on Pirates last trip than I did on Splash. And I barely got anything on Kali, whereas DD sitting next to me got soaked. If you don't want to get wet on anything, wear your poncho/rain gear.

One day, I rode Kali and my GS and I came off completely dry. So we rode it again. We were soaked. I mean, like I had laid in a bathtub with my clothes on. When we got back to our room, I hung my clothes on the shower rod. My UNDERWEAR was soaked for two more days.
I don’t mind wet rides usually, but that was amazingly wet. It was in late November, but warm. Still, I squished around AK for the rest of the day and got uncomfortable enough that we left early.

At DAH in February we got stuck by that darned waterfall on Splash at 10pm for about 10 minutes. Do not be lulled into a false sense of security by that Brer Rabbit. He is sneaky.

Splash will never "soak" you. You'll get some splashes, depending on time of year and where you sit (front gets wetter), but you'll never get too wet. Most of the splash at the end goes outward, not in.

Kali will vary greatly. If you're going backwards down the drop and the water level is high, you will get utterly soaked. If you're facing forward and/or water level is low (winter), you'll just get a few drops.

UH, Splash can absolutely soak you. DH and I just got HOSED during MNSSHP a few weeks ago. DH actually had to take off his shirt and wring it out. We were wet through to the underthings. Really such a lovely feeling! LOL. It happened to us the year before as well. It was from the jet that goes off when a log is going down the hill, while you are about 1/2 way up the mountain and about to go up another lift. They can turn that up or down or off. It was sure turned up for us! DH refused to ride Splash the rest of our trip after that. I went by myself twice and didn't get nearly that wet.

My whole right side got soaked on Frozen in December 2018. It was cold out too so I ended up buying a sweatshirt to keep me warm on my way back to the resort to change.

Same trip I got soaked on Splash - you'd think I'd have learned not to ride water rides after the sun has gone down.

I get splashed on Pirates pretty regularly. Not so bad I'd consider myself soaked but still wet enough.

I haven't ridden Kali in years after getting soaked just as we boarded because of rain. And then I got soaked again on the ride. I've had enough of that ride to last me - um - forever? LOL

Got my left side soaked on Kilimanjaro Safari when it started pouring down rain. You wouldn't think of that as a water ride but it sure is when it's pouring down rain and the rain is running off the roof and into the sides of the truck.
At least that happened during the day in September 2017 and it wasn't cold.

I rode Splash Mountain just two days ago and barely got wet at all, but I was sitting in the back. However, I was checking on other people getting off before I got on, and it seemed no one was really getting all that wet. We had brought ponchos just in case but literally not one other person was wearing one so we decided not to either.
We got fairly wet last week on Splash, but the log in front of us got soaked. (DH actually declined it tonight for AH because he didn't want to get that wet.) And note, a lot of water on this one comes after the drops... not necessarily at the bottom.of the drop where you expect it--but after that, when the water is pushed to the sides then it comes back in a wave, splashing and/or soaking.

Also, pirates has been variable over the last week; drop seems to be 50-50 for tiny bit of splash back to very noticeable, and the cannon room is also hit or miss, but when it gets you, it's more than noticeable!

...and don't forget that little-known water ride of Aladdin's Carpets! That can really get people who don't know!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter