Western states road trip

Seligman looks adorable! We've seen some of the Route 66 sites in Illinois but it is the western towns that really fit the image, so we are totally going to have to fit in a stop there.

I've got a couple of friends who are DLR locals/passholders, so I've been getting some advice from them. I'll definitely check out the DIS DLR board too, though. It amazes me how different the two parks are! But no one warned me that SW:GE was going to be opening earlier out there. that's exciting! We'll be traveling in June so hopefully we'll get to see it, because it might be a while before we get back to WDW to see their version. After a dozen or so trips to the Orlando parks, we're kind of over it and not in a huge hurry to check out every new thing.

I am planning on coming back through Utah if we go in/out of Vegas. My uncle lives about an hour and a half south of Missoula, so it seemed like I-15 would be the best route back and takes us close enough for side trips to Craters of the Moon in Idaho and Zion and/or Bryce in Utah.

Death Valley holds zero appeal for me in the summer. I figure we'll see enough desert without making a trip there specifically!

June is a pretty good month to go to DL, in my opinion. We've gone at the beginning of June a few times. The weather is great...not too hot yet. You might need a light sweater or sweatshirt in the morning or late in the evening.

June weather in Anaheim has what they call "June gloom," which means that it's overcast in the morning (clouds that roll in from the ocean), but it burns off by noon.

If you have a 3-day or more ticket, then you get 1 Magic Morning entry to DL, which is on Tues, Thurs, or Saturday. The MM entry in June will likely be 7-8 am for most of the month, but the first week, it might be 8-9 am. It is totally worth it to take advantage of MM entry @ DL. You can easily go on 6 Fantasyland rides in that hour. It won't get busy at DL until ~ 11:30 am, which is when the locals start to show up plus the vacationers who decided to sleep in. Closest non-Disney hotels to the park entrance at the Best Western Park Place Inn and the Tropicana Inn & Suites. Howard johnson's is a 7-8 min walk and has free parking until 3 pm on your check out day. The rest of the hotels along Harbor Blvd charge for parking, but it's still less than Disney parking.

Counter service food, in general, is much better than at WDW. Menus and pricing is online at www.allears.net or here on the DIS.

I haven’t read the whole thread but wanted to add a few random things. 1-Start a notebook or file. 2-Get guidebooks from every state you plan to visit. They all have websites but guidebooks are beneficial (at least to me). 3- If you plan to go to the Grand Canyon, the North Rim is less crowded and less commercial. 4- We flew Southwest and have taken a hard sided cooler as one of our 2 pieces of checked luggage several times. They will ask what is in it (and may open it) but as long as it’s legal to fly with, you’ll be fine. I just taped the lid on to be sure. I carry a small roll of packing tape for trip home. 5- Get paper towels when you get groceries for the trip. 6- Get either liquid window cleaner or wipes. Your windows WILL get dirty from bugs or dusty roads. 7- Be prepared (as a PP said) to drive long distances without a restaurant. We always have at least peanut butter and bread for sandwiches. 8- Plan to buy LOTS of water. It’s a dry heat and will dry you out. 9- Be sure you have lots of space for pictures on your phone or camera and have someone ready with the camera all the time. 10- Have a road atlas or paper maps available in case your GPS doesn’t work.

Hmm, DD10 would love the koalas. I hadn't really thought about San Diego because I've been thinking of all the outdoorsy stuff, but I'll give it a closer look.

If you go to San Diego, do the San Diego Zoo and the Safari Park (used to be called the San Diego Wild Animal Park)... these are two absolutely World-Class zoos.

June is a pretty good month to go to DL, in my opinion. We've gone at the beginning of June a few times. The weather is great...not too hot yet. You might need a light sweater or sweatshirt in the morning or late in the evening.

June weather in Anaheim has what they call "June gloom," which means that it's overcast in the morning (clouds that roll in from the ocean), but it burns off by noon.

If you have a 3-day or more ticket, then you get 1 Magic Morning entry to DL, which is on Tues, Thurs, or Saturday. The MM entry in June will likely be 7-8 am for most of the month, but the first week, it might be 8-9 am. It is totally worth it to take advantage of MM entry @ DL. You can easily go on 6 Fantasyland rides in that hour. It won't get busy at DL until ~ 11:30 am, which is when the locals start to show up plus the vacationers who decided to sleep in. Closest non-Disney hotels to the park entrance at the Best Western Park Place Inn and the Tropicana Inn & Suites. Howard johnson's is a 7-8 min walk and has free parking until 3 pm on your check out day. The rest of the hotels along Harbor Blvd charge for parking, but it's still less than Disney parking.

Counter service food, in general, is much better than at WDW. Menus and pricing is online at www.allears.net or here on the DIS.

Thanks! I've heard that June isn't a bad time to go, not that it really matters too much since our dates are pretty much set by my work and the kids' activities. We'd go then even if it was going to be packed. I've also heard from friends that have gone that the time difference really works for us east-coasters, because 6 am in California is 9 am our time so those early mornings are easier to handle than in our own time zone at WDW.

I haven’t read the whole thread but wanted to add a few random things. 1-Start a notebook or file. 2-Get guidebooks from every state you plan to visit. They all have websites but guidebooks are beneficial (at least to me). 3- If you plan to go to the Grand Canyon, the North Rim is less crowded and less commercial. 4- We flew Southwest and have taken a hard sided cooler as one of our 2 pieces of checked luggage several times. They will ask what is in it (and may open it) but as long as it’s legal to fly with, you’ll be fine. I just taped the lid on to be sure. I carry a small roll of packing tape for trip home. 5- Get paper towels when you get groceries for the trip. 6- Get either liquid window cleaner or wipes. Your windows WILL get dirty from bugs or dusty roads. 7- Be prepared (as a PP said) to drive long distances without a restaurant. We always have at least peanut butter and bread for sandwiches. 8- Plan to buy LOTS of water. It’s a dry heat and will dry you out. 9- Be sure you have lots of space for pictures on your phone or camera and have someone ready with the camera all the time. 10- Have a road atlas or paper maps available in case your GPS doesn’t work.

I have a notebook and a Pinterest board (which is how I plan a lot of my trips with DD17 because she can contribute too) started already, but paper guidebooks are a good idea. Sometimes it is just easier to browse that way.

Thanks for the tip on the cooler. I wouldn't have thought of that, but it is a really good idea because we'd have a lot more room that way than using the collapsible.

I'm kind of dreading the load of camera gear we'll be taking since most of it will have to be in our carry-ons! We'll have DD17's SLR with 3 lenses, my mirrorless with 3 lenses, DD10's point & shoot, two Polaroids (because there's no convincing the girls to share), and my collapsible tripod (which can at least go in the checked bag!), plus film and memory cards and extra batteries and chargers and all of that. Both of my girls show photography in 4H so when we're traveling somewhere new or especially scenic, packing the camera gear is a whole big production. :rolleyes:

While you are in Montana, find somewhere that has no street lights or lights outside. DS and I drove several miles out of town at about 11 pm to see the ‘Big Sky’ and it’s one of my best memories of our trip. We saw the Milky Way. DH & FDIL were already asleep so they missed it. It was our only night in Montana.

Several things to consider. I've actually done Death Valley in the summer. It's just one of those things where you can point to the thermometer at the Furnace Creek Visitor Center and tell people you survived. I wasn't in Death Valley during that trip more than 3 hours, and very little of it was spent without indoor or vehicle air conditioning.

You're getting a lot of suggestions, and west is a very big place. There were some suggestions for the Pacific Northwest, but it doesn't sound as if that's going to happen. But if you reconsider, Lassen Volcanic National Park isn't that crowded and it has extensive features you're not going to find elsewhere in the US outside of Yellowstone. Crater Lake is great too, as well as the Columbia River Gorge.

The other thing you need to consider is food storage in certain areas. I'm guessing you've probably dealt with bears before, but a Sierra bear is a completely different thing. In many areas they've learned how to defeat standard bear hangs, although it doesn't sound like you're going backpacking. But in places like Yosemite, Sequoia/Kings Canyon, and Tahoe, they've learned how to rip car doors open and might try if those notice enough food odors (or anything odor that's particularly interesting) in your car at night. They dig their claws in the door frame until the glass breaks. And it's amazing how flexible they are.

beardamagetocar_2.jpg

Rumored (heavy emphasis on "rumored" here) opening date for SWGE at DL is sometime around June 21st, based on the current AP blockout calendars. There will be Grad Nites going on earlier in the month (from early May through early June) and possibly media and preview events for SWGE throughout the first few weeks of June. There is a thread on the Disneyland (California) forum called "Surviving Summer 2019" (or something like that) which has lots of information from and for people planning DLR trips starting this June.

Several things to consider. I've actually done Death Valley in the summer. It's just one of those things where you can point to the thermometer at the Furnace Creek Visitor Center and tell people you survived. I wasn't in Death Valley during that trip more than 3 hours, and very little of it was spent without indoor or vehicle air conditioning.

You're getting a lot of suggestions, and west is a very big place. There were some suggestions for the Pacific Northwest, but it doesn't sound as if that's going to happen. But if you reconsider, Lassen Volcanic National Park isn't that crowded and it has extensive features you're not going to find elsewhere in the US outside of Yellowstone. Crater Lake is great too, as well as the Columbia River Gorge.

The other thing you need to consider is food storage in certain areas. I'm guessing you've probably dealt with bears before, but a Sierra bear is a completely different thing. In many areas they've learned how to defeat standard bear hangs, although it doesn't sound like you're going backpacking. But in places like Yosemite, Sequoia/Kings Canyon, and Tahoe, they've learned how to rip car doors open and might try if those notice enough food odors (or anything odor that's particularly interesting) in your car at night. They dig their claws in the door frame until the glass breaks. And it's amazing how flexible they are.

beardamagetocar_2.jpg

Wow! We have black bears here in Michigan, but I've never heard of them getting into a car like that! I don't let the kids eat in a rental, but I'll have to make sure to take our cooler/snacks in with us overnight in the more remote places to be on the safe side.

I am hoping to get at least a bit of time in the Pacific Northwest, even if it is only as far as Crater Lake. I'm kind of hoping our California relatives are at home in Carmel rather than at their cabin at Tahoe during our trip because that would give us more time to spend driving up the coast. DD plans on majoring in marine bio so I know she'd love the aquarium at Monterrey and just spending time exploring the coast, and we've spent the 4 months since she got home from Japan on an endless search for authentic Japanese food so San Francisco has a lot of appeal too.

Rumored (heavy emphasis on "rumored" here) opening date for SWGE at DL is sometime around June 21st, based on the current AP blockout calendars. There will be Grad Nites going on earlier in the month (from early May through early June) and possibly media and preview events for SWGE throughout the first few weeks of June. There is a thread on the Disneyland (California) forum called "Surviving Summer 2019" (or something like that) which has lots of information from and for people planning DLR trips starting this June.

Oh, that complicates things! :rotfl: I was planning on starting the trip with the Disney part, but if SWGE is expected to open later in the month I'll have to think about doing the circle in the other direction. Our dates will be June 8 to 30, so if we leave DLR to the end we'd have the best chance of catching it.

Wow! We have black bears here in Michigan, but I've never heard of them getting into a car like that! I don't let the kids eat in a rental, but I'll have to make sure to take our cooler/snacks in with us overnight in the more remote places to be on the safe side.

I am hoping to get at least a bit of time in the Pacific Northwest, even if it is only as far as Crater Lake. I'm kind of hoping our California relatives are at home in Carmel rather than at their cabin at Tahoe during our trip because that would give us more time to spend driving up the coast. DD plans on majoring in marine bio so I know she'd love the aquarium at Monterrey and just spending time exploring the coast, and we've spent the 4 months since she got home from Japan on an endless search for authentic Japanese food so San Francisco has a lot of appeal too.

OK. I think the original source for this is some video that gets played all over Yosemite in a loop.

I've seen citations on cars in Yosemite where someone left nonfood items that might have a smell. When I asked about food storage in the Rockies and whether or not bears break into cars, it was "You're from California, right?"

The far northern part of California is pretty interesting. I mentioned Lassen Volcanic National Park. The primary feature there is Bumpass Hell. The only issue would be whether or not the trail is open. It's often still snowed in until June or July. It's a pretty easy trail to manage though once it's clear. The thermal features have boardwalks, and there are mud pots, hot springs, and fumaroles. No geysers though.

Bumpass-Hell.jpg

I think Redwood National Park might be a good option, but it's a bit out of the way. If you want to see the biggest trees, that area is where you'll find them. I guess some people might recommend Muir Woods if you're around San Francisco, but I wouldn't recommend it if you're venturing out along the coast further north or south. It's fine, but there are dozens of places all over the coast where you can find similar trees without having to deal with crowds and reservation requirements.

Yeah, bears are no joke in the mountains in CA. As in, don't leave any food wrappers in the car. OR the trunk. No drink containers either. Or empty soda containers.

Definitely read this for great information (most of which is up to date): A DLR Guide for WDW Vets.
"What WDW Vets Need to Know About Dining at DLR": http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2914467.
"Choosing the Right DLR Area Hotel For You": www.disboards.com/threads/choosing-the-right-hotel-for-you.3656512/.
Hotel rates for this June are already high and rooms are booking quickly. If you know you will be visiting DLR in June for certain, I would book something now (asap) to have something on the books.
"Maxpass/Fastpass: an overview and some strategy" by @Skyegirl1999 - www.disboards.com/threads/maxpass-fastpass-an-overview-and-some-strategy.3726246/
Surviving Summer 2019 at Disneyland!
Bob Iger Mentions the Official Disneyland Star Wars Opening Date -- SWGE opens in June! It's official!
And... after all that reading (!), come on over to the Disneyland (California) board and jump on in with all your trip planning questions. You've gotten great help already from some of our ace contributors here -- just a sample of what you can expect on the DLR board!

If you are anywhere near Portland, definitely try to see Multnomah Falls. Walk to the top. It’s gorgeous.

Yellowstone National Park is awesome. Gets a bit crazy with tourists as the summer goes on though.

Glacier National Park will take some extra hours to get there and back, but is simply spectacular. There are no thrill rides that can compare to driving the Going to the Sun road. And the scenery is breathtaking.

If you’re anywhere near Philipsburg, there’s a charming candy store that is worth a stop.

Lewis and Clark caverns are really cool and may not be too far from your uncles place. If they’re not too far, I’d try to stop there and take the tour.

A few years ago we had a conference outside of Denver. Spent the week there and then drove down to the Grand Canyon, with a stopover at Mesa Verde Park - it was incredible. Sure it takes time to get between everything but we had a great time. Wished we could have added in Yellowstone but we just didn't have enough time. Sounds like you'll have an amazing time.

If you are flying into Vegas or even California to hit up Disney, I would go to Zion and Bryce national parks. If your dd is in 4th grade you can get a free national park pass. From there, you can drive north thru salt lake and then go to Yellowstone.

"Utah's Mighty Five" is a great place to start: Zion, Bryce, Canyonlands, Arches and Capitol Reef. Each amazing in their own way. I actually love those parks more than the Grand Canyon. If you decide to drive, crossing the Rockies is pretty amazing too. We've done it many times and will probably do it again this summer.

If you decide on Muir Woods (which is pretty wonderful, given how easily accessible it is....the Redwoods further north are perhaps more spectacular, but you'll drive for hours to get there....while Muir Woods is about 30 minutes from San Francisco), an insider tip is to park near Mountain Home Inn and walk down into the woods. No charge. No reservation required. It's about 2 miles in and 2 miles back (of course). Beautiful hike and not terribly steep (although it is all downhill one way and uphill the other). I love that hike. :-) Done it plenty, and I'm a bit on the more mature side. LOL.

I do recommend doing the trip before mid-July to minimize issues with wildfire smoke.

If you decide on Muir Woods (which is pretty wonderful, given how easily accessible it is....the Redwoods further north are perhaps more spectacular, but you'll drive for hours to get there....while Muir Woods is about 30 minutes from San Francisco), an insider tip is to park near Mountain Home Inn and walk down into the woods. No charge. No reservation required. It's about 2 miles in and 2 miles back (of course). Beautiful hike and not terribly steep (although it is all downhill one way and uphill the other). I love that hike. :-) Done it plenty, and I'm a bit on the more mature side. LOL.

Not sure if that will work any more given how many people have researched it with the current reservation system in place. That lot is going to fill up fast.

The parking reservation was done with the cooperation of Marin County, which included making nearby street parking only for Muir Woods reservations, and further streets no parking zones.

This is a photo near Muir Woods (with a sign saying Muir Woods permit parking only):

https://goo.gl/maps/q1t3LZyx4962

A few hundred feet away they already set up no parking signs on sandwich boards:

https://goo.gl/maps/CJatE2qnCt92

Glacier National Park will take some extra hours to get there and back, but is simply spectacular. There are no thrill rides that can compare to driving the Going to the Sun road. And the scenery is breathtaking.

If you’re anywhere near Philipsburg, there’s a charming candy store that is worth a stop.

Lewis and Clark caverns are really cool and may not be too far from your uncles place. If they’re not too far, I’d try to stop there and take the tour.

Lewis & Clark is too far east, I think. My uncle lives right near the Idaho border. Since I'm already planning taking the time to head up to Glacier, I don't think we could fit it in. Philipsburg looks closer, but Google Maps isn't giving me a good drive-time estimate because the most direct route from my uncle's town is apparently closed for winter, so it is routing me along a series of highways that about triples the distance!

I do recommend doing the trip before mid-July to minimize issues with wildfire smoke.

I wondered about that, as far as when they get bad. We've been in Florida during bad fire seasons and aren't particularly sensitive, but obviously hope to avoid it as much as possible. But our dates are in June and completely inflexible, so there's going to be a certain amount of "cross our fingers and hope for the best" to it.

How about Canadian Rockies? Their national parks are more likely to be open. Even if ours are back open, it sounds like they're getting quite the trashing right now. As they would be a highlight of any Western US road trip, I probably wouldn't risk planning something around places that may not be open.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter