Were you taught to "Never return an empty dish?"

Skywalker

Elementary, My Dear Mickey
What I mean is, if someone gives you a gift like a pie or cake or cookies or something, and you return the dish later, do you just wash it out and return it clean? (Or even worse send it back still with the crumbs caked on - I've gotten that too).

Or do you make something for them in return and send back a treat?

Am I explaining this properly? I feel like I just wrote jibberish, lol.

Anywho, I was taught the never return an empty dish thing, but no one ever seems to reciprocate so I'm wondering if it is just my family that does this. :surfweb:

No. Good manners says to never return it dirty- but to make a replacement meal or dish...no- never heard of that.

Nope, not just your family.

My mother will not accept an empty dish or pot back. Even if I just put a few pieces of candy in it, that is okay. I think this is something that her mother did.

So, your family is not strange:)

I always return the plate clean, but I've never heard of reciprocating on the food. It's a sweet idea, though. It sounds kind of small townish or perhaps southern?

To tell the truth, when I give someone a gift of food, I only use disposables and most people I know do too. Its too much of a hassle to try to return things to people anymore and I would rather they just toss them when they are finished. I know when I had surgery last year and people brought things, they were all disposables and I just tossed them after I wrote thank-you notes.

I've heard of returning it clean but not responding with another dish.......

Okay, you're not the only one! My mother always taught me this, as well. (Although it's okay for her and I to return stuff to each other empty since we give each other food items all the time.)

In fact, a friend of dd's had given us a big bowl of cupcakes a few weeks ago. When she stopped by unexpectedly, I felt bad that I had to return it to her empty because I wasn't quite sure when I'd be seeing her again. She told me she'd never heard of that so I lent her and dd my refillable popcorn bucket for the movies and we were good. :lmao:

I hadn't heard of that. We do return them clean, but I've never seen anyone reciprocate.

It is a nice idea, though!

I was taught that, but I normally don't do it. We have a bag of the dbf's parent's disposables that we take back to them to fill with Sunday Dinner leftovers and bring back.

After my mother's post-funeral party I had tons of leftover dishes and no idea who they belonged to. Luckily I had lots of help returning them to their owners. I also had them on the look out for the recipes as well.

My grandma made cookies for us one Valentine's Day and I cleaned the dish and returned it and she acted all put out and asked if I'd eer heard that rule! NO! I hadn't!!! Seems silly to give a gift and expect something in return! :confused3

I have also heard of that rule and have followed it (when I remember).

Denae

When I give a gift of food there is generally a reason- a death or a birth in the family for example. I do NOT want the recipient to fuss about giving me something in return. Just getting the dish back clean is enough.

I keep nice disposables on hand for giving food. Generally it's someone who's experienced a loss, or has had surgery or a baby. I don't want them to have to worry about carefully washing and returning my dishes.

I've heard of that, but never done it. I don't think it is polite to give a food gift/cooked dish to someone and expect one back in return. I just return a clean dish and thank them again.

When I make something and give it to someone I usually use the foil pans I can get for $1, so I don't have to worry about it, unless it's someone I know I'm going to see again soon, (like my grandmother who lives ten minutes away.)

But no, I wouldn't make something just to give the plate back, and I've never heard of it before either.

My family has always done it exactly like you. You return it with SOMETHING in it.

I have never heard of that. It doesn't make sense...if you are making something for someone because they need a little help (new baby, death in the family, etc.) you expect them to make you something in return? Doesn't that defeat the purpose? I don't get that at all. :confused3

Anyway, I usually use a disposable container so that nobody has to worry about it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter