We're visiting our laughing place. From BC with APs! August 21-28th

Chapter 5: We finish each other's... Monte Cristo sandwiches!

After getting soaking wet on splash, we headed over to Haunted Mansion to visit the Grim Grinning Ghosts. It was going to be down on Monday for the overlay, so we wanted to make sure we got to it today. Gavin talks about the Doom Buggies all the time and lists this as one of his favorites. Bryan and I don't really see what all the fuss is about this ride. Maybe it's because we haven't seen the movie. We just don't get it.

We were going to ride Pirates next, but the lineup looked way too long and we wanted to head back to Hojo for an afternoon break so that we could come back for Fantasmic. We stopped in at the shop in Frontier Land and the kids each bought a blanket baby with their souvenir money. Then we stopped in at the Emporium so that I could get a new pen for the autograph books and Annie bought an Anna, Elsa and Olaf toy set. On the way out we ran into Goofy. Good thing I got a new pen!

We all lay down for a little nap, but Annie wasn't going to sleep and kept squeaking the bunk bed, so Bryan took the kids down to the water park while I took a nap.

We headed back into the parks, even though the kids hadn't really had a nap. I was a little worried that Gavin would fall asleep during dinner, and we still had 30+ minutes before our dinner reservation, so we decided to take the train all the way around. As we entered the park, we noticed that the Soundsational Parade was going on. We climbed up to the train station and watched the parade while we waited for the train to arrive. I'll have to remember this spot for next time!

Soon enough the train arrived.

Gavin fell asleep just after Toon Town station and missed all of the Grand Canyon stuff (the next time we rode the train he was amazed by it!)

After Gavin had a bit of a snooze, we got off at New Orleans Square and headed to Cafe Orleans. I took the kids to the washroom while Bryan waited for us to be seated. They wanted to seat us outside, but it was too hot, so Bryan got us a table inside next to a cute window display with fake fruit and Tiana and Prince Naveen as frogs.

I splurged and got the kids the glowing cups.

I told Bryan that I wanted to try the Monte Cristo but I knew that I wouldn't finish it, so we shared it. I got the kids a meal to share as well, so we didn't spend very much on this dinner overall. I really wanted to try the beignets so I asked the waiter if they contained artificial dyes. He called the chef out and he assured me that we could have the beignets without the raspberry sauce that contains red and blue dyes. After we ordered, I noticed them bringing pomme frits to the table next to us and I realized that I had forgotten to order them because of all of my questioning of the beignets! Our food soon arrived and we had more than enough to eat without the pomme frits. I couldn't even finish my 2 pieces of Monte Cristo! It was good, but not something I feel the need to order again. A little too rich for me.

After we were finished, our Mickey Beignets arrived, with a vanilla cream sauce instead of the red sauce.

These were amazing! I told Bryan that these were worth the cost of our APs! (he didn't quite agree with me, but thought they were good. I'd compare them to Timbits, only bigger and a bit lighter.)

Overall, we really enjoyed Cafe Orleans, from the atmosphere to the food. We'll have to eat here on our next trip for sure, and I'd like to try the crepes next time.
Continued in next post ->

Great updates! How fun that you got that pass! I love Cafe Orleans!

Chapter 6: The Backside of Water!

It was about 6pm when we were finished at Cafe Orleans and there still weren't very many people getting spots for Fantasmic, so we decided to use our special pass. My gut instinct was to use it on splash, but then decided that we should use it on something without a Fast Pass. We had already been on Peter Pan and we didn't have time to head over to DCA, so it made the most sense to use it on Jungle Cruise. The queue for JC drives me crazy! I don't like going upstairs, following some sort of snail pattern and then coming back down stairs! Last year Gavin got so frustrated with this line that he shouted out "We're going backwards! We're not getting anywhere!"

We happily walked towards the exit and proudly handed the CM our special pass.

We loaded into an empty boat and had to sit in the middle so as to balance the boat. The skipper welcomed us onto our private cruise... "private... for about 30 seconds" as they took us from the exit to the entrance, the skipper changed over and the other guests filed into the boat.

We then moved up to the front. Our skipper was Marc and introduced himself as "Cram" as he consulted his name tag! Gavin laughed at every one of the skipper's jokes, even if he didn't understand them.

After the Jungle Cruise, Bryan brought our blanket down to the seating area of Fantasmic and found an excellent spot for us behind one family. I'm glad that we weren't right at the railing, because we could see better slightly further back. When the show started, I noticed that we were centered perfectly! While he found our spot, I took the kids up Tarzan's tree house. Tarzan was on Disney Jr. a couple weeks ago, so the kids were familiar with the movie. A group of teenagers bounced us on the bridge, so I let them go ahead of us. The views from the tree house were fantastic!

Bryan can't stand the Tiki room, so we decided this would be a good way to spend our time while he held our spot. We have the DLR soundtrack in my car and the kids and I have chosen our favourite lines from the Tiki room. Annie's is "... because of their claws? No! Because they're Macaws!" Gavin's is "... you're gonna wind up on the lady's hat." and mine is "Two can sound better than one toucan can."

The kids and I then explored the gift shop in adventure land and discovered Aladan's lamp. We dug into our pressed penny money and rubbed the lamp. Annie's fortune was something about winning the lottery and moving to a tropical island. Gavin's was about being an astronaut and going to the sun.

We looked at the carts with the neon, light up stuff and almost bought some but decided to wait until after going on Winnie the Pooh. I was getting tired of walking so I switched off with Bryan. I thought I would chat with the people around us, but when I tried talking to the lady next to me, I discovered that she didn't speak English. The other people around me were talking to people in their own groups, so I just played games on my phone.

Meanwhile, Bryan and the kids were enjoying riding Winnie the Pooh.

The kids tried to buy glow items, but the cart couldn't accept credit cards (I don't know if it wasn't working or if they just take cash) and Bryan wanted to save his cash for tips for housekeeping. I had some glow stick bracelets in the back pack that I had bought from the dollar store at home. There were 3 in the package so I had Annie give one to the girl next to us who didn't speak English.

Soon enough, Fantasmic started and it was absolutely amazing! We had watched it in 2012, but we were sitting at a table at River Belle Terrace and couldn't see very well. This time our view was fantastic.

The boat with the characters is my favourite part!

This show was worth staying up late for! It's just jaw dropingly amazing! After Fantasmic, we took a quick bathroom break and then slowly filed out of the park with the crowd during the fire works. We got to bed WAY past bedtime. The next day we headed to Legoland, hoping to discover that "everything is awesome."

Great pics of Fantasmic!

Love the one of Mickey on top of the shack with the smoke and the fireworks!:thumbsup2

Bryan took most of the pictures on this trip, but I took a few with my phone. I didn't even attempt to take any pictures of Fantasmic, so these are all his. Plus, he's the one who found us a great spot to sit! :thumbsup2

Chapter 7: Everything is Awesome (back at Disneyland)

On Saturday we got up at around 7am, had a bit of a light snack for breakfast in the hotel, and then got in the car at 7:45am to drive to Legoland. There was hardly any traffic and it was a really straightforward drive from Hojo. The kids thought it was really funny how the GPS mispronounced Legoland Drive as "Lega-lind Drive" repeatedly!

As we pulled into the parking lot, we were given the option of regular, $15 parking or we could pay an additional $10 to park closer. We opted for the $15 and then noticed that we were parked only 2 rows away from the premium parking. I guess it might be worth it if we had arrived later in the day, but it didn't make much sense to me.

We walked up to the gates and admired the pool of the Legoland Hotel. I love the fake trees! It looks like someone actually built the hotel out of lego!

We got up to the gates and I presented the cashier with our passes that I had purchased online with 2 different "get-one-free" deals.

Even though the park was opened, the attractions wouldn't open up for another 45 minutes or so.

We found the Lego Friends.

And then the kids got a photo with Buddy.

The kid each had an Emmit mini figure at home that they wanted to trade, but we forgot to pack them. So then we went to the mini figure shop and bought 2 mystery packs of Simpsons figures to trade. The people running the shop were also renting the strollers so I had to wait for a very long time just to buy two mini figures. Annie got Maggie Simpson and Gavin got Bart. Neither of them are familiar with the Simpsons, but they were happy with who they got and didn't end up trading them. Only a few of the people working there had mini figures on their name tags, and the ones who did didn't have very nice ones.

Before the full park even opened, Bryan and I were already frustrated with Legoland. It wasn't laid out very well and we couldn't figure out which select attractions were opened early. We stumbled upon the safari boats and waited in line. I think they only had one boat running, as we waited in line for quite a while.

The boat ride was really cute, and I think this was, for me, the highlight of Legoland.

The seagull is real, but the rest is lego.

When we got off of the boat, the rest of the park still wasn't opened. We didn't really have a plan set out for Legoland, so we asked the woman holding the rope what ride we should head to first. She suggested the Teknic Coaster, so we headed there. Big mistake! I felt so sick after this coaster, but the worse thing was that I got very angry at the ride attendant! As we were standing in line we heard an announcement saying that all bags, purses and cameras needed to be left at the ride loading area. Nope, not going to happen. There's no way that I'm going to leave my purse, with my phone, id and credit card unattended while I go on a ride. I could have put all of it in my pockets, but then they'd probably fall out. So, when we got to the loading area and the young man told me to leave my purse, I shook my head and said "absolutely no way am I leaving my purse." So he said that I could tie it around my waist. I shrugged and tied it around my waist. I have no idea how that is any different than having it across my body. Anyways, we went on the coaster and Annie loved it and the rest of us felt sick.

Next, we headed into the Castle area and the kids rode these little horses.

It was nice that they could go on rides here without parents. Bryan and I sat back and discussed how lame Legoland is compared to Disneyland!

We then wandered aimlessly, as the map was awful and the signage wasn't very helpful. We ended up in Pirate Shores and Gavin found the ride that he was most looking forward to. I think I squirted Bryan's camera a few times!

Next stop - splash mountain's little baby cousin! (aka the most boring flume ride ever!) We could have had more fun splashing each other at the water fountain.

Then we took a little snack break before watching the 4D lego Chima movie. It was cute. (Bryan and I didn't take any pictures in here.)

After the movie, Bryan and I decided that we were pretty much done with Legoland and it was only noon! We had originally planned to stay here for dinner, but we had had enough. Annie wanted to see the Lego Friends Live show at 1:30pm, so we decided to see how much we could get done by then and then drive back and head into California Adventure for the evening.

We headed over to the Lego Movie display, which was very well done. Our whole family loves this movie!

This musical thing outside of the Duplo area was pretty cool.

The kids really wanted to do the driving school, so we split up and Gavin did the Jr school and Annie did the regular one.

We watched the Lego Friends and Annie mentioned that Andrea is supposed to be dark skinned (she's the one in the orange shirt.)

We took a quick look in "The Big Shop" and bought a couple Lego Mixels that aren't available yet in our town, then we waved goodbye to Legoland.

Wow, Kati------done by noon;)!

I am so glad to have a really recent review of this park! It's helpful to know about the signage(or lack thereof), and the fact that the map was confusing.

Over the past couple of years, most reviews of Legoland, I have read, have been consistently in the "less than thrilled" arena.

It sounds so fun and out of the ordinary, but I have found very few people who retain that view after visiting(of course, there are those who have enjoyed it, but I can't recall that many:confused3!)

I'm sorry it wasn't more of an adventure, but it sounds like there were a couple of things you/kiddoes liked.

I cannot believe they asked you to leave your purse---to me, that is absolutely ridiculous! :confused:

I think I'd be kind of "irked" if I spent the money on a Park, expecting /planning to stay there most of the day, and then was pretty much done with it after just a few hours.:sad2:

Wow, Kati------done by noon;)!

I am so glad to have a really recent review of this park! It's helpful to know about the signage(or lack thereof), and the fact that the map was confusing.

Over the past couple of years, most reviews of Legoland, I have read, have been consistently in the "less than thrilled" arena.

It sounds so fun and out of the ordinary, but I have found very few people who retain that view after visiting(of course, there are those who have enjoyed it, but I can't recall that many:confused3!)

I'm sorry it wasn't more of an adventure, but it sounds like there were a couple of things you/kiddoes liked.

I cannot believe they asked you to leave your purse---to me, that is absolutely ridiculous! :confused:

I think I'd be kind of "irked" if I spent the money on a Park, expecting /planning to stay there most of the day, and then was pretty much done with it after just a few hours.:sad2:

Yeah, I think we left the parking lot at around 2pm or 2:30, but it was around noon when we decided that we would just rather be in Disneyland. The kids liked it, and I really enjoyed looking at all of the Lego creations. It would have been better if it was more of a museum than a theme park. It was mainly the cheap carnival atmosphere that turned us off. There were so many carnival games and even a guy trying to guess our ages for money! Annie begged us to play one of the games, so Gavin wanted to as well. We told them it would come out of their souvenir money and they learned a hard lesson because they each paid $3 and walked away with nothing. Annie actually cried because she thought she was going to get a prize. She was given 2 balls and knocked down something with the second ball but not the first, so she didn't win anything. So frustrating.

I had originally wanted to stay at the Legoland hotel and spend 2 days in Legoland, but it's really only a 1/2 day park. If we didn't have Disneyland APs, we probably would have spent a little more time here. They really liked looking in the big store, but we didn't want to buy very much because I can just order it all from the website. I think we all had more fun when we went to the Lego store in Guilford Mall in Surrey when we visited our friends in December.

Sorry to hear your time at Legoland wasn't the best. I can't believe they asked you to leave your purse :scared1:

Chapter 8: California (Adventure) Dreamin'

The entire time we were at Legoland, the Disneyland APs in my purse were calling to me! We still hadn't visited California Adventure yet on this trip, so I was itching to get there. On Thursday, our arrival day, as we walked from Hojo to the ticket booths, we told the kids that we would get something to eat and then ride something in Disneyland with a short line. Annie asked if we could ride Goofy's Sky School. Nope. Wrong side of the park. How about Little Mermaid? Nope. Mater's Tractors? Wrong side. I think the kids listed about 5 or 6 rides from California adventure before we headed into Disneyland that evening. I really like how DCA is laid out and it never seems as crowded as DL.

As we drove back up on the I-5, I started re-planning the rest of our Saturday. Traffic was pretty heavy, as there were a few accidents off to the side. It took about 1.5 hrs to drive back, while it took only 1 hr to get there in the morning. Luckily that Saturday wasn't blocked out for our Deluxe APs, so I knew we could get into California Adventure for a couple hours. We decided to just park in the DTD lot instead of heading back to Hojo and walking. It probably would have been about the same walking time from Hojo as it was from the parking lot, though. We pulled into the DTD parking lot at 3:50pm - I checked my watch because I wanted to make sure we only stayed for 3hrs to get the free parking.

We hadn't really eaten a proper meal that day, so we were ready for dinner at 4pm. I knew we'd be able to get a table anywhere without a reservation at this time of day, so we wandered into Storyteller's Cafe in the Grand. We hadn't eaten here before, and I had been looking into it for lunch or dinner but hadn't figured out when to make a reservation. We walked up at around 4pm and were seated right away. It was still the lunch menu, which was fine by us.

They had several different types of bread in the bread basket. All of them were delicious.

I ordered the corn chowder and the crab cakes. I should have just ordered one or the other because they were both very filling. Gavin wanted pasta without the tomato sauce, but when it arrived it was covered in sauce, so he had to wait a few minutes for them to fix it. A few minutes into eating, Annie realized that the waiter hadn't brought them their apple juices that they ordered, but had only given them water. With all of the mix ups, we ended up getting a discount on our bill (in addition to our AP discount). We were eating during our regular server's break time, so I think it was the switch-over that caused the errors. They handled it very well, though, and I was very happy with our meal.

While the kids finished eating, I called "Ask Otto" to check on wait times for GRR and Soarin'. We decided that we'd grab a FP for GRR on the way into California adventure and do Soarin' standby, since it would be a 20 minute wait.

We used the GCH entrance to get into DCA, pulled FPs for GRR and then walked over to Soarin. I love the queue for this ride, since there is so much to look at.

I asked if we could ride front row centre, but she said it would be a 10-15 minute wait for that row. Instead, she put us in the front row off to the left. I was happy with that because I didn't have to see any feet!

After Soarin' we still had some time before our FP window opened up for GRR, so we spent a few minutes in the Challenge Trail.

I was so excited to finally ride GRR! This and the Lady Bugs in bugs land, are the only rides in DCA that I hadn't been on. (I still haven't been on the lady bugs, and I don't plan to!) Last year Gavin wasn't tall enough, and it's kind of a tricky one to do with rider swap, so we just skipped it.

We got absolutely soaked and loved it! The only problem with the ride, though, is that the seat belts don't tighten enough for my skinny kids!

Soaking wet, we walked back to our rental car in DTD, about 5 minutes before our 3 hr window was up. We stopped at a gas station to fill up the rental car, since we were returning it the next day, then returned to Hojo for our last night there. The kids enjoyed the splash park one last time while I packed up our suitcases and got ready to switch over to DLH the next morning!

Glad to see you following along! You must be getting pretty excited for your trip coming up soon. Does your daughter know yet?

yes, very excited!! As far as i know she is still in the dark. Unless she has snooped in my room while i was out or on my computer/ipad, which is a posibility but my gut says she doesn't know. That would be a big secret to hold inside for a 12 yr old lol

Glad to hear dinner went okay. I can't believe that they asked you leave your purse :scared1: Sorry to hear Legoland didn't go well

Chapter 9: A Suitcase and a Dream

We all woke up on Sunday morning at around 6:30. I couldn't sleep anyways because I was so excited about heading over to the Disneyland Hotel! I was a little confused about what time the early entry at California Adventure was going to be, and I am still confused now! Disneyland's website said the parks would both open at 8am, with EE at DCA at 7am. I didn't think we would be able to check in, get our room keys and be in DCA by 7am, but I thought we could at least be there before 8am to get ahead of the crowd. I thought I better check to be sure the night before, so when we were at Storytellers I asked the host if he could check the park opening and he told me DCA opened at 9am with EE at 8am and DL regular opening at 8am. Seemed kind of strange, so I asked the CM at the bag check as we went into DCA. He took out his schedule and said the same thing... DL opening at 8am and DCA regular opening at 9am with EE at 8am. Well, that seemed a bit easier for me, so we aimed to make it to EE at 8am at DCA. We packed up the rental car, drove over to DLH, got COMPLETELY LOST (which wasn't a surprise, since Bryan and I always get lots on road trips. We didn't get lost coming from the airport or going to Legoland, so it was about time!) We were able to find the DLH just fine, but we couldn't find the way to drive up to the entrance. We also found the parking lot that we'd be dropping off the car in, but we didn't want to carry our luggage all the way from there. Finally, we asked one of the parking attendants and he showed us the way. As we pulled in, the CM who greeted us in the car asked for our last name and was so incredibly friendly. Bryan dropped the luggage at the Bell desk and returned the rental car while I waited in line to check in. The kids watched some short Disney cartoons in the lobby. When it was finally my turn to check in, the CM told me that our room was ready (at 7:45 am!) and that we would be in the Adventure tower facing the pool. Bryan had already stowed our luggage, and we were eager to get to DCA, so didn't go up to the room right away. Shortly after I called the kids over, Bryan texted me that he had dropped off the car and we met up in DTD.

We walked all the way through DTD to the front entrance of DCA and were surprised to see that the gates were open to everybody at 8am. I asked if it was EE and they said no, the park is opened. I was really confused and this change of events threw off my plan.

We decided to head right to Toy Story, as I had originally planned, even thought it would likely already have a bit of a line.

We spotted "Suitcase and a Dream" Mickey and got his autograph.

On the way to the pier, we picked up FPs for RSR. I think our return time was 9:30 am but I can't quite remember.

Then we stopped at our favourite photo op on the pier, and there was a PP photographer there. Bryan and I get our picture taken here each trip, but we usually have to get a passer by or one of the kids to take it. There were a lot more PP photographers in DCA than in Disneyland this year.

The line for TSMM was probably about 15 minutes, but much better than the 30-45 minute lines it gets in the afternoon.

I got a bunny and Gavin got a beaver.

Annie was finally tall enough for California Screamin', so Bryan took her on it while Gavin and I rode King Triton's Carousel. Bryan hadn't been on California Screamin' before either, so he was pretty excited to try it out. I rode it using single rider in 2012 and 2013, so I was really hoping Annie liked it so that I could ride it with her.

She's in there, but you can only see the top of her head! (We got a better photo when she rode with me on Tuesday.)

After riding screamin', (she LOVE it!) Annie joined us on the carousel.

As we headed over to Cars Land, we spotted Donald.

By this point we were getting pretty hungry, so we pulled into Flo's for breakfast as we started our trip down route 66.

Loving it Kati!! Glad to hear that Annie enjoyed Screamin. I think I was her age or 6 (I was 5 when the park opened)

Your trip report is great! It looks like you had a wonderful time :)

I love chatting with people at Disneyland too! I find it interesting to talk to people from other countries, which happens a lot at DLR. Sorry you didn't have anyone to chat with while waiting for F! I'm sure I would have chatted with you had I been there. :)

Your kids are super cute. Your daughter sounds like my DD7. Total adrenaline junkie! She wasn't tall enough for Scream' on our last trip but she is now and she is so ready to ride it. It freaks me out though!

Looking forward to more updates :)

Chapter 10: Getting our kicks on Route 66

We ordered a few breakfast platters from Flo's to share and sat outside to watch the racers go by.

After breakfast, we noticed Lightening in front of the Cozy Cones with a very short line.

Our window had opened up for our RSR FP return time, so we got into the FP line. The Standby line was already at around 90 minutes by 10am.

I sat in the front with the kids and Bryan sat in the back with a couple from the single rider line (I always like when we're able to get two people to sit together on this ride - it's like sprinkling pixi dust. The CMs always want to divide us up as two in the front and two in the back, but I think that's silly.)

I absolutely love RSR! It has the storytelling in the dark ride portion, and then the thrill in the race sequence at the end. It's similar to Splash Mountain in that respect, but just without the water. Last summer we were sprayed with mist once at the finish line, but I that only happened once.

We went to Luigi's side to get new tires.

We won the race! The kids didn't show up very well in the photo, so the CM at the photo station suggested they ride in the back next time.

Next we headed over to Luigi's Flying Tires. We rode this once in Sept 2012, shortly after it opened. Boy were we disappointed! Inside portion of the queue is well done, but the outside is in the blazing sun. It takes a long time to load and unload this ride, and they don't direct you to your tire, so you can get to one at the same time as someone else is climbing into it. Then, once you get on and it starts, you have to shift your weight in order to get the tire to move. This year, though, I was pleasantly surprised that they had a CM giving instructions at a certain point in the line up. We watched the ride while we were waiting in line and made observations about what was working at what wasn't. It looked like the people who were leaning all the way forward weren't moving as much as those who were sitting up straight and just leaning slightly.

I actually had a lot of fun on the tires this time!

As we passed by the Cozy Cones, we noticed that Mater had switched up with Lightening, so we went to see him.

We finished up our time in Radiator Springs with a swing on Mater's Junkyard Jamboree. I love the music and the queue for this ride!

As we exited Mater's Junkyard Jamboree, the CM said to me "Hey, your tank top looks a lot like Snow White!" as if I didn't already know that! I told her, "Yeah, that's what I was going for!"

As we left Cars Land there were still FPs available for RSR (I think it was 10:30 or 11:00 at this time.) I pulled some for 7:25pm-8:25pm!

Your trip report is great! It looks like you had a wonderful time :)

I love chatting with people at Disneyland too! I find it interesting to talk to people from other countries, which happens a lot at DLR. Sorry you didn't have anyone to chat with while waiting for F! I'm sure I would have chatted with you had I been there. :)

Your kids are super cute. Your daughter sounds like my DD7. Total adrenaline junkie! She wasn't tall enough for Scream' on our last trip but she is now and she is so ready to ride it. It freaks me out though!

Looking forward to more updates :)

I didn't use the single rider lines at all this trip, so I didn't get to chat with a lot of people. But one of the families I did end up chatting with in the lineup for the Frozen meet n greet turned out to live only 2 hrs north of us! We ran into several Canadians, and I was even 'recognized' by a fellow Diser from the August forum!

Loving your trip report! Thanks for sharing. :goodvibes

Your description of Lego Land is exactly what I am afraid of! My kids (DS6 and DS4) see commercials and really want to go, but I'm afraid we will all be disappointed! Did the kids at least like it? Or were they thinking what you and your DH were thinking?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter