We're Home From the Road!! 17 Days of Travel with Tons of Pics~COMPLETE!!

Yay.....I've made some life long friends from DIS meet ups!!

Actually we meet on another board and have been friends for more than 5 years now but haven't met yet! I am thrilled to meet up with her at last :)

Your trip looks like so much fun! I have always wanted to stop at Redwood. I am looking forward to pictures!

Actually we meet on another board and have been friends for more than 5 years now but haven't met yet! I am thrilled to meet up with her at last :)

Your trip looks like so much fun! I have always wanted to stop at Redwood. I am looking forward to pictures!

That's awesome!!! It's so much fun to meet in person after talking for so long.

Totally here!

Would love to do a Cali roadtrip some day! If it ever happens, I think a lot of it is planned right here!

Love all the detail you are putting into each day!

Totally here!

Would love to do a Cali roadtrip some day! If it ever happens, I think a lot of it is planned right here!

Love all the detail you are putting into each day!

:wave2: Hi Allyson!!

I love road trips and the kids travel really well in the car.....this will be a pretty long trip for us but hopefully taking things at a slower pace will help everyone survive!!

Thank you....I figure if I'm gonna share our adventure, it helps to let people know what I'm talking about and where it is. Maybe someone else will decide to check out some of these places too!!

Day 3~July 12th:

Drive from Willits to Santa Rosa (about an hour and a half drive) and check out the Charles Schulz Museum.

The museum is a tribute to the late Charles Schulz and his beloved Peanuts Characters. Across from the museum is an ice skating rink, cafe & gift shop.

Here's a few pics from Google.

Admission: $10/adult $5/4-18 Open 11-5 weekdays/10-5 weekends (summer)

After the museum, we will stay in Santa Rosa to have lunch at Johnny Garlic's.....which is Guy Fieri's restaurant. (Guy is from the Food Network and is my favorite).

Google Images of the restaurant:

Continuing south for about an hour & a quarter to San Francisco. We will be staying at the Travelodge at the Presidio. Affordable rates for SF and the parking is FREE....which if you've ever priced a SF trip....you would know that is a very good deal!!!

Pics courtesy of Google Images:

Once we're checked in, we'll figure out how to get down to Fisherman's Wharf and Pier 39 for the rest of the day.

More Google Images pics:

Wow! What a trip this is going to be! Well, before I comment on that, first let me start by saying that I was surprised to see that you had already begun another Pre-TR when you haven't even finished your WDW TR over in the WDW TR forums (ahem!;)).

I was thinking, "That Laurie! She just can't stay away from the Disneyland TR forum!":rotfl2:

Anyway, back to your massive road trip. I love almost everything you have planned, and these are things I would want to do as well, if I were going on a road trip. San Francisco, dinosaurs, the Guy Fieri restaurant, the Charles Schulz Museum (I have wanted to go there for years), the Disney museum, San Diego, Sea World, the Zoo, Universal, Mrs. Knott's chicken dinner, Walt's barn, the beach...and, of course, Disneyland Resort!:cool1:

I'm sure I skipped over something. I am exhausted just reading that itinerary, and yet it sounds like so much fun.

Let me know if you would like me to donate any of my Farmers Market pictures (I'm assuming the Farmers Market you're talking about visting on the Walt's barn day is the one that's near me, next door to The Grove...or are you talking about the Hollywood Farmers Market?) for your info post about that day's activities, so you don't have to to pull from Google Images. If you need something with the FM sign, or the historical clock tower, or one of the longtime mom & pop restaurants, let me know. I've got plenty. I can either email them or PM them, or just link you to the albums so you can pick whatever you want (although you'd have to sift through many pages and that would take time).

Anyway, I think this may be my favorite trip of yours so far -- along with the WDW trip -- because you are touching on so many different types of activities and locations. You're covering a lot of ground!

Wow! What a trip this is going to be! Well, before I comment on that, first let me start by saying that I was surprised to see that you had already begun another Pre-TR when you haven't even finished your WDW TR over in the WDW TR forums (ahem!;)).

I was thinking, "That Laurie! She just can't stay away from the Disneyland TR forum!":rotfl2:

Anyway, back to your massive road trip. I love almost everything you have planned, and these are things I would want to do as well, if I were going on a road trip. San Francisco, dinosaurs, the Guy Fieri restaurant, the Charles Schulz Museum (I have wanted to go there for years), the Disney museum, San Diego, Sea World, the Zoo, Universal, Mrs. Knott's chicken dinner, Walt's barn, the beach...and, of course, Disneyland Resort!:cool1:

I'm sure I skipped over something. I am exhausted just reading that itinerary, and yet it sounds like so much fun.

Let me know if you would like me to donate any of my Farmers Market pictures (I'm assuming the Farmers Market you're talking about visting on the Walt's barn day is the one that's near me, next door to The Grove...or are you talking about the Hollywood Farmers Market?) for your info post about that day's activities, so you don't have to to pull from Google Images. If you need something with the FM sign, or the historical clock tower, or one of the longtime mom & pop restaurants, let me know. I've got plenty. I can either email them or PM them, or just link you to the albums so you can pick whatever you want (although you'd have to sift through many pages and that would take time).

Anyway, I think this may be my favorite trip of yours so far -- along with the WDW trip -- because you are touching on so many different types of activities and locations. You're covering a lot of ground!

I went back and started back on the WDW trip......my laptop is over heating....and uploading pics to photobucket has to be done in shifts....these little pics off google images don't seem to "tax" my laptop as much as the data filled pics off Mike's camera.

And you're right......I just love the Disneyland side of things..... :rolleyes1

The Farmer's Market is the one by the Grove......we were thinking of doing breakfast at Dupar's....any thoughts?? I'd love about 3 pics to use for my daily schedule!!

We're pretty excited with this trip and hopefully everything works out. We're giving up our slot at Camp Attitude this summer to allow a new family to try it.....so we best make this trip happen....otherwise I'm gonna have some very upset kids.

Yay another trip report. I LOVE your reports as they are always so detailed and it is so fun to go along with you. It is almost like going as well LOL. Plus it is so exciting to see all the stuff you post along the way and then of course the actual report once you get back!

We are actually NOT going to Disney this year if you can believe it and no real plans other than a VERY short 1 day trip in March till the ladies trip for us and prob not till summer of 15 for the kids. So weird to think about but we have other things on the agenda.

I have really gotten into road trips lately as well and we had THE best time on our trip back East last year. We have also decided that pretty much from now on if we drive to Disney we are going to make extra stops. There are SO many things I still want to see.

That first part of your trip we did a lot of that stuff on our trip in 2011. I think I told you I used to live in Seattle and then Vancouver WA for 3 years and just loved it up there and we have been back about 3 times since I left. The last was that trip where we drove up 5 and hit Crater Lake, Bend, Timberline Lodge etc. We stopped heading north at Seattle and then headed across on the Bremerton Ferry and hit Forks and then headed ALL the way down the coast. We had several stays on the way but on our last in OR was in coos bay and then we hit Klammath and the big trees the next day. That was my 2nd trip and it was super fun. We loved the sky ride and of course the trees. I think you guys will love it.

The other stops you are making sound fun and I never even heard of the Shulz museum but that sounds cool and something I will have to tell mom about as we are always looking for fun stuff close to home.

We of course live real close to the Bay and love SF. In fact mom and I took the girls their last Feb for their week break and heading over by the Pressidio is tons of fun. The palace of fine arts is over there and you can walk around and take pics. The museum is awesome and you will love it and if you wander around there is offices of Lucas with a statue of yoda. You can drive from your hotel and park in the garages by the Pier 39 and if you have dinner can get validated. They have a cool aquarium and there are seals you can see on the piers. There is alcatraz and harbor cruises, the wax museum and a rainforest cafe. Tons of fun stuff. Also in Golden Gate Park is a really beautiful greenhouse and a japanese tea garden as well as an amazing museum. Tons to see and do. You will have fun!

We are actually "chaperoning" the girls for a student govt field trip in March and driving down and staying in Ontario and we only get 1 day at 1 park so that will be our 1 trip for 2014. Kind of sad but since we are missing the diva trip I am glad we are getting a little time since it will be a long time before we get back.

Of course we are planning on our DW trip in Nov but until it gets here I never say never cause I know you know anything can happen LOL. And for summer we are supposedly going to my parents condo in Puerto Vallarta. But again I am not counting on anything till it happens LOL.

But anyway when we go down in March while the kids are in the conference mom and I are going to the science museum where the space shuttle is. I am really anxious to check that out and still want to go the grove/farmer's market the hollywood hills cemetery and the griffith observatory among others. Don't think we will make it on this trip as we are limited on time but things to think about for future trips.

Anyway your trip sounds amazing and I can't wait to see more!!

Oh and of course hope to be able to meet up with you on your Sac day too ;)

Yay another trip report. I LOVE your reports as they are always so detailed and it is so fun to go along with you. It is almost like going as well LOL. Plus it is so exciting to see all the stuff you post along the way and then of course the actual report once you get back!

We are actually NOT going to Disney this year if you can believe it and no real plans other than a VERY short 1 day trip in March till the ladies trip for us and prob not till summer of 15 for the kids. So weird to think about but we have other things on the agenda.

I have really gotten into road trips lately as well and we had THE best time on our trip back East last year. We have also decided that pretty much from now on if we drive to Disney we are going to make extra stops. There are SO many things I still want to see.

That first part of your trip we did a lot of that stuff on our trip in 2011. I think I told you I used to live in Seattle and then Vancouver WA for 3 years and just loved it up there and we have been back about 3 times since I left. The last was that trip where we drove up 5 and hit Crater Lake, Bend, Timberline Lodge etc. We stopped heading north at Seattle and then headed across on the Bremerton Ferry and hit Forks and then headed ALL the way down the coast. We had several stays on the way but on our last in OR was in coos bay and then we hit Klammath and the big trees the next day. That was my 2nd trip and it was super fun. We loved the sky ride and of course the trees. I think you guys will love it.

The other stops you are making sound fun and I never even heard of the Shulz museum but that sounds cool and something I will have to tell mom about as we are always looking for fun stuff close to home.

We of course live real close to the Bay and love SF. In fact mom and I took the girls their last Feb for their week break and heading over by the Pressidio is tons of fun. The palace of fine arts is over there and you can walk around and take pics. The museum is awesome and you will love it and if you wander around there is offices of Lucas with a statue of yoda. You can drive from your hotel and park in the garages by the Pier 39 and if you have dinner can get validated. They have a cool aquarium and there are seals you can see on the piers. There is alcatraz and harbor cruises, the wax museum and a rainforest cafe. Tons of fun stuff. Also in Golden Gate Park is a really beautiful greenhouse and a japanese tea garden as well as an amazing museum. Tons to see and do. You will have fun!

We are actually "chaperoning" the girls for a student govt field trip in March and driving down and staying in Ontario and we only get 1 day at 1 park so that will be our 1 trip for 2014. Kind of sad but since we are missing the diva trip I am glad we are getting a little time since it will be a long time before we get back.

Of course we are planning on our DW trip in Nov but until it gets here I never say never cause I know you know anything can happen LOL. And for summer we are supposedly going to my parents condo in Puerto Vallarta. But again I am not counting on anything till it happens LOL.

But anyway when we go down in March while the kids are in the conference mom and I are going to the science museum where the space shuttle is. I am really anxious to check that out and still want to go the grove/farmer's market the hollywood hills cemetery and the griffith observatory among others. Don't think we will make it on this trip as we are limited on time but things to think about for future trips.

Anyway your trip sounds amazing and I can't wait to see more!!

Oh and of course hope to be able to meet up with you on your Sac day too ;)

I love road trips....it's fun to make stops and check out things. We've done Prehistoric Gardens and the Trees of Mystery before.....but the kids were tiny and don't remember. The Charles Schulz Museum will be a new thing. We've been to SF and the Pier area back in 2005 but we've never made it to the Disney Family Museum.....so I'm very excited about that. Hoping some of you ladies in the area might join us for that. Our plan after the museum was to go over to the Koret Children's Playground so the kids can blow off some steam before getting in the car and continuing south.

I doubt we will make the museum only because we have been twice and it is kind of one of those things that once you've seen it twice it is overkill BUT I do love it and you will have fun seeing everything. I'm hoping we will be able to catch up with you on the Sac day for sure though. Have no idea what my schedule is for then but luckily we are taking our Mexico trip in June so no other trips planned so we should be around.

Just read some on your DW and finished reading your Club 33 report. FUN!!

I doubt we will make the museum only because we have been twice and it is kind of one of those things that once you've seen it twice it is overkill BUT I do love it and you will have fun seeing everything. I'm hoping we will be able to catch up with you on the Sac day for sure though. Have no idea what my schedule is for then but luckily we are taking our Mexico trip in June so no other trips planned so we should be around.

Just read some on your DW and finished reading your Club 33 report. FUN!!

Ok, that's fine.......we're hoping to meet up for dinner in Sacramento.....we'll plan more when it gets closer!

I went back and started back on the WDW trip......my laptop is over heating....and uploading pics to photobucket has to be done in shifts....these little pics off google images don't seem to "tax" my laptop as much as the data filled pics off Mike's camera.

And you're right......I just love the Disneyland side of things..... :rolleyes1

The Farmer's Market is the one by the Grove......we were thinking of doing breakfast at Dupar's....any thoughts?? I'd love about 3 pics to use for my daily schedule!!

We're pretty excited with this trip and hopefully everything works out. We're giving up our slot at Camp Attitude this summer to allow a new family to try it.....so we best make this trip happen....otherwise I'm gonna have some very upset kids.

I know what you mean about the data-filled pictures. Those types of pictures -- especially when they are very large in size -- are the kinds of pictures that jam up my browser when it is trying to load a page (in any thread). The file sizes for those photos are too large, so if there is a page with a lot of those giant data-filled photos on it my PC will lock up.

I can imagine that the file sizes of the photos are really taxing your laptop quite a bit, and also using up a lot of storage space in your Photobucket account, as well as taking a long time to load!

I was looking at the last few pages of your WDW report. I am continually fascinated by the things that WDW has that we don't have at DLR...even down to the doughnuts!:rotfl2::rotfl2: I saw that the character meal in AK had Krispy Kreme doughnuts. Not only do we not have Krispy Kreme doughnuts at any of the character meals at DLR, as you know, but we don't even have the cute mini-doughnuts that used to be at Goofy's Kitchen many years ago. Mini-muffins, yes, but no mini-doughnuts. They removed all of the doughnuts from the character meals at DLR!

I am really glad you decided to go to AK, as I know that at first you were considering skipping it and just doing DHS for the full day. I love the look of AK, and the safari is definitely something I would be interested in!

Now back to this upcoming road trip/odyssey you are going to embark on this summer...

One thing I like about your road trip agenda is that it's well-rounded, with a lot of different activities. And even if you removed half of the planned outings from the list, you'd still have a full trip! Just driving down the 101 and seeing the coastline (I know you'll be cruising through Monterey to go to the aquarium, but I'm not sure if you'll pass by Carmel, Big Sur and the other places along that route) would be "THE" main trip for a lot of people.

Another thing I like about this agenda you have put together is that you are still incorporating DLR into it, but it is not the main focus of the trip. You have said in the past that Disney is getting close to pricing you out of being able to visit (and we know the ticket prices will go up again by the end of May or beginning of June), and that you are starting to look into other activities to replace Disney trips.

On this upcoming trip you will still have a bit of DLR in there, so the kids won't miss out on that experience completely, but you are also exposing them to a lot of other things -- some brand new things and some things they have done but don't remember. This will be a great way to gauge if anything else really 'clicks' for them, and if there are any other viable options to take the place of DLR trips in the future (if the prices get crazy enough to keep you away).

I know the Camp Attitude trips were very important (and have provided priceless memories and joy) to your family, so I can see where you have to find something really exciting to fill that slot this year!

If Dupar's has not changed its menu too much in recent years, it should be fine for breakfast! I haven't eaten there in a long time, and the last time I did I was there for a solo lunch, but I don't recall too much having changed at that point. Since then there have been more efforts to 'modernize' Dupar's and the other longtime establishments in the historical part of the Farmers Market to try to keep up with The Grove, but hopefully the same basic coffee shop/diner food is intact. Dupar's has hung in there a long, long time so they must be doing something right!

I used to eat a late breakfast/early lunch at Dupar's with my grandmother every Saturday when I was a child. I have fond memories of their food. They are largely "known" for their bakery items, especially their pies. In fact, not only does Dupar's serve slices of pie inside the restaurant, but they also have a separate bakery/counter service place outside of the restaurant, in Farmers Market, for anyone who wants to take a whole pie home, or other baked goods.

If you guys opt to go with something counter service-ish instead of table service, I will mention that there is a place called Charlie's inside the Market that supposedly has good burgers. (It's in the same food court area where the Gumbo Pot can be found.) Charlie's is another place that was there way back when I was a kid and it looks like an unremarkable sort of establishment. I used to eat hot dogs there as a teenager, but never burgers. On a Travel Channel show called Burger Land last year, one of the places mentioned in the Los Angeles episode as being a great place for a burger was Charlie's (to my surprise)! Who knew?:rotfl2::confused3

Magee's is well-known for its corned beef and has been at Farmers Market forever. In fact, there is a photo on display there that was signed by all 4 of the Beatles on a day when they visited Magee's.

Patsy D'Amore's is another longtime establishment, with B&W pictures of Frank Sinatra and other entertainers who were customers near the counter.

Bryan's Pit BBQ has been at the Market forever.

Also, I would suggest a stop at Littlejohn's English Toffee -- another place that has been there forever and ever. Not only do they whip up a good batch o' toffee but they have other freshly made delicious treats like peanut brittle, etc.

Sherry, thank you for the info on the Farmer's Market. I had read the Dupar's had been there from almost the beginning and was a good place to eat.

We won't have a ton of time at the FM since we want to be up at Walt's Barn. Walt's Barn is only open from 11 to 3. But I'm hoping to see a lot of the more historical places. We're also hoping to get over to the Grove just to pick up some Sprinkle's Cupcakes......lol

Day 4-July 13th:

We will wake up in San Francisco and start our day at the Disney Family Museum.

The Disney Family Museum is a museum that celebrates Walt Disney's life & legacy. It has permanent exhibitions as well as special temporary ones.

"Magic, Color & Flair" will be the special exhibition while we are visiting. This is a Mary Blair exhibit. Very excited about that. Mary Blair was asked to design the It's a Small World exhibition for New York's World's Fair (1964-65). She is known for her stylized illustrations and use of colors, watercolors and graphic designs.

Admission: $20/adult $12/6-17

After the museum, we'll take the kids over to Golden Gate Park to the Koret Children's Quarter to let the kids run around and blow off steam before getting back in the car.

A blend of old & new features at this playground. A cement slide, towering rope climbing feature, play structure with climbing, hanging & slides as well as a carousel and nice grassy area to take it all in.

Admission: FREE for the park Carousel: $2/adult $1/6-12

After plenty of play time, we'll head south to Gilroy (garlic capital of the world) for the night. Well stay at the Super 8.

We also are planning dinner at Famous Dave's BBQ!

All of these pictures came courtesy of Google Images!

After reading on here I actually did a little pricing and who knows, depending on DH's return to work (he is finishing up a course) I have thrown into the back of my head a roadtrip down to DL as well...late August though maybe.

I've heard so many things about the Oregon coast, and that, and I got thinking, gas is so much cheaper down there, and if we drove, that takes out the cost of a shuttle from LAX (not that we have a trip planned, but if we did we would have to think about the cost of gas to Vancouver or Bellingham, prob at least 1 night hotel, and the cost of shuttle service to/from airport in Cali)

Anyways!
You are going to love the WDFM- I know I've mentioned it before, but we had a wonderful time, and that was also with two "non" Disney kids who totally loved it! It has a super cute theatre which we watched Sleeping Beauty in.

After reading on here I actually did a little pricing and who knows, depending on DH's return to work (he is finishing up a course) I have thrown into the back of my head a roadtrip down to DL as well...late August though maybe.

I've heard so many things about the Oregon coast, and that, and I got thinking, gas is so much cheaper down there, and if we drove, that takes out the cost of a shuttle from LAX (not that we have a trip planned, but if we did we would have to think about the cost of gas to Vancouver or Bellingham, prob at least 1 night hotel, and the cost of shuttle service to/from airport in Cali)

Anyways!
You are going to love the WDFM- I know I've mentioned it before, but we had a wonderful time, and that was also with two "non" Disney kids who totally loved it! It has a super cute theatre which we watched Sleeping Beauty in.

I'd like to hope the gas prices continue to stay down and not escalate upwards this summer.....but who knows. At this point I'm basing mileage our SUV gets and the miles we'll be traveling at going on a $4.00/gallon price. Right now that is high but by this summer.....it could be right on. Hope it doesn't get that high again.....but gas prices just teeters on getting along with the foreign countries that supply it to us.

Very excited about the museum......adding the Mary Blair exhibit just puts icing on an already super sweet cake!! :banana:

I'd like to hope the gas prices continue to stay down and not escalate upwards this summer.....but who knows. At this point I'm basing mileage our SUV gets and the miles we'll be traveling at going on a $4.00/gallon price. Right now that is high but by this summer.....it could be right on. Hope it doesn't get that high again.....but gas prices just teeters on getting along with the foreign countries that supply it to us.

Very excited about the museum......adding the Mary Blair exhibit just puts icing on an already super sweet cake!! :banana:

I always use $4 a gallon as my base price when driving down. In 2012 on our summer trip I paid just over $4 at one station but it was balanced out by the $3.25 I paid at another. You just never know what summer gas prices will be like.

Love the park you will get to play at. Those concrete slides and the playground look like a ton of fun.

Someday I will have to make the stop at the museum with the kids. We are always in such a hurry to get to Disneyland we drive straight down.

I always use $4 a gallon as my base price when driving down. In 2012 on our summer trip I paid just over $4 at one station but it was balanced out by the $3.25 I paid at another. You just never know what summer gas prices will be like.

Love the park you will get to play at. Those concrete slides and the playground look like a ton of fun.

Someday I will have to make the stop at the museum with the kids. We are always in such a hurry to get to Disneyland we drive straight down.

We usually go straight down too....but I really wanted to do the Disney Family Museum...so I decided a road trip would be the way to go and not make Disneyland be the primary focus.

Following along! I enjoy reading your trip reports!

I grew up near Monterey, the aquarium will be a great place to stop! And I've eaten at the Famous Daves in Gilroy many times, very yummy!!

You definitely have a lot planned out! Sounds like an exciting trip.

Following along! I enjoy reading your trip reports!

I grew up near Monterey, the aquarium will be a great place to stop! And I've eaten at the Famous Daves in Gilroy many times, very yummy!!

You definitely have a lot planned out! Sounds like an exciting trip.

Welcome & Thank You!!!

We've heard great things about the aquarium....unfortunately, I don't think we will have tons of time to really go through it like we'd want to. But still happy we get to check it out.

Nice to hear that the BBQ is yummy!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter