We're all out there chasing our better selves (FredtheDuck chases on)

Baltimore Half is definitely hilly from what I've heard but everyone I've spoken to has enjoyed the event and the festival atmosphere they provide. If you haven't run across HalfMarathons.net it could be a good resource for finding a race that will work for you guys.

Today's run was uneventful. Lunch run, so I didn't have long. DH is working from home again, so he "kept me company" on the phone while I ran (I got to hear all about our MagicBands, which came in the mail today... I think it's cute that they sent one for my 1.5 year old.). My last few weekday runs have had that, and it's a nice distraction. I'll be sad to lose it when I switch to morning runs (the odds that he wants to get up at 5:00 AM to run with me are low). Also, I had negative splits this run, so that's nice.

Stats: 2.16 miles, 22:48 (10:35/mi)

In other, bigger, news, we signed up for the Parks Half Marathon today. It'll be my first and is a local one - ends right around the corner from where we get bagels and coffee every Sunday. I have until September 10 to train and am terribly nervous already (it has a 2:45 time limit). Here we go!

Fine run today. I just received my @DopeyBadger training plan, so DH (new here and posting as @MoanasPapa) thought it would be a good idea to do a practice run from the plan. We did a preview of what'll be next Saturday's run (3 miles @ long run).

Initial impressions: my beloved AppleWatch is not the greatest for tracking pace in tree cover. It bounced all over the place and was hard to get a true gauge for speed. There was also never agreement between what my husband's watch said and what my watch said, except when there was a beak in the trees. My neighborhood has better coverage and many of my runs will be here, so hopefully I'll get a feel for it and be more consistent.

I felt great after the run, physically. That said, it was slower than it was supposed to be. Still, I can already see the value in slowing down.

Also, it was gorgeous out and nice to have my kiddo with me in her jogging stroller. She fell asleep at the end and slept most of the way through our bagel and coffee Sunday tradition.

Stats: 3.00 miles, 42:44 (14:13/mi)

Official training starts Tuesday! Let's hope my watch pace is a little more reliable.

Last edited:

Let's hope my watch pace is a little more reliable.

Are you tracking "instantaneous pace" or "lap pace"? My preference is "lap pace" because I find the "instantaneous pace" to be widely inaccurate. The pace smoothed out over 800m is much more accurate than a constant update of pace every 5-10 seconds.

Are you tracking "instantaneous pace" or "lap pace"? My preference is "lap pace" because I find the "instantaneous pace" to be widely inaccurate. The pace smoothed out over 800m is much more accurate than a constant update of pace every 5-10 seconds.

I have both average and current pace showing on my watch. Unfortunately, the watch itself has no "lap" functionality, at least when using the native Activity app.

RunKeeper does, so I'll probably just move back to watching my phone for pacing - had moved away from it in an attempt to go more "hands free" when running.

I have both average and current pace showing on my watch. Unfortunately, the watch itself has no "lap" functionality, at least when using the native Activity app.

Yea, both of those are less useful than "lap pace" for a variety of reasons. You could also consider buying a cheap Garmin GPS watch. I think even some of the cheapest versions have "lap pace" functionality. Check out DCRainmaker's reviews of the specific garmin for a rundown of the uses.

Hi! I'm @MoanasPapa, aka @FredtheDuck's husband. She's been telling me about her running plans and all the great support she's been getting on the boards, and I'm excited to join in.

:welcome:

@DopeyBadger - I don't have messaging rights yet, but I've given some thought to your 20 questions and am looking forward to your feedback.

I believe you need 10 posts before you get PM privileges. So post away! Happy to help when you're ready!

First day of half marathon training started today, via my shiny new @DopeyBadger training plan. For those following along, I've never been super fast, so my EA and EB paces are definitely sloooooow. Meaning, don't laugh at my stats for the next 16 weeks... there's a point and a plan and goal to it all. I'm pretty excited about it, to be honest. Morning runs start today, too - good timing, since the weather is about to turn gross (90s later this week).

Today's goal was to run 2 miles at my EB pace, which is 14:00. I did 2.01 miles in 28:08, for an average pace of 14:02. My watch is still not the greatest for tracking pace, but I did OK today. I started paying attention to my breathing in the last third of the run, and I think that kind of helped more than anything in terms of proper pacing--if I was huffing at all, I was going to fast. I do think pacing is going to be a challenge in my neighborhood because it is all hills. I'll need to learn to be consistent with the amount of effort I'm putting in to the uphills compared to the downhills.

I feel good after the run - definitely less worn out/sore than I usually do. But, it is time to look at new shoes. I think I need something with a little more midfood support than my Saucony Zealots have, but I want to keep the minimal drop. So, off to research-land I go.

Another keen observation: The Spotify "Early Morning Run" station for that pace (about 160 bpm) is garbage. Why do I want to hear a country song about smoking and drinking at 5:45 in the morning while running? I'll need to find something else to listen to.

Last: Sorry to @MoanasPapa for the early wake up. One of our dogs decided to pace the house after I left, and her pacing woke him up, then woke our daughter up (at least she was in a great mood!). Whoops.

Stats: 2.01 miles, 28:08 (14:02/mi)

You're being redundant!

Ha. Fair. But genre preference aside, I was like "Bro (actually, Brodette, it was a woman singer), it's 5:45 in the morning. A little early to be thinking about alcohol. And legit the last thing I want to think about while on a run is smoking." Oi.

Merp. I accidentally ran too fast today. I was supposed to do 2 miles at EB again (14:00/mi). I did 2.02 miles at 13:19 average pace, with splits of 13:35, 13:02, and 13:54 (for the last .02). Again, my pace on my watch was all over the place... I'd look at it and it would say I was in the 15s, then I'd look again a second later and it would say I was in the 10s, but I clearly hadn't sped up that much. So, I'm trying hard to focus on feel and breathing, and in that sense, everything felt good - nice and easy. Helps that the weather was nice - already in the low 70s (at 5:20 AM!), but the humidity hadn't crept in yet. Morning running for the win.

I ran a slightly different route today. I think that helped in terms of motivation (always good to change things up), but I definitely had to pay more attention to pace because the terrain was less familiar, and therefore my gauge of effort is less reliable. Irritatingly, my second mile (where I ran 13:02 instead of 14:00) was the same old path I always run on, so I should have known better. I'll get there.

Stats: 2.02 miles, 26:58 (13:19/mi)

Exciting to hear you are starting on your new DopeyBadger plan! Sounds like things are going well so far. I've not done one of his plans yet, but from reading other journals, it seems like there's a definite learning curve to the running slower approach, but you just need to keep at it. His plans sure seem to create a lot of success for people!

but from reading other journals, it seems like there's a definite learning curve to the running slower approach
Glad to know I'm not alone in finding it a little hard to get used to. I can already see the benefits of it... I feel much less sore/worn out, so I can run more often and for longer. In fact, I'm scheduled to run again tomorrow and again on Saturday. I've read some of the success stories on here and hope I will be one of them come September!

PS - Thanks for following along : )

Last edited:
I did better at slowing down today, but still was faster than my targeted pace. Weather was great at 5:15 this morning. I ran a different route again today, and I'm only vaguely familiar with how the streets in that area connect. So, I was nice and distracted trying to make sure I could plot my way home in the appropriate amount of miles. I did it without even having to look at a map (and I'm super directionally-challenged, ask @MoanasPapa).

Today was supposed to be 3 miles at my EA pace (14:56/mi). I did 3.01 miles at 14:08/mi. Splits: 14:21, 13:58 (whoops), 14:08, 11:19 for the last .01 mi. As with before, I felt good in terms of breathing and my joints feel good post-run. Before this training plan, I rarely ran two days in a row because I found it uncomfortable (sore knees, sore calves), but today was fine and I'll be fine to run again tomorrow, making for not two but three days in a row. Again, more evidence that there's something to all this slow running.

One thing I'm starting to wonder, though... will I get "used" to running this slow? Will that be what my body feels like it wants to/is capable of doing? Am I going to feel like I'm pushing way too hard if I run my half at 12-ish minutes a mile (I need to keep under a 12:40 pace)? I guess, looking at my training plan, there are some faster runs/mixed speed runs, so I'm guessing that variety will help, too. I know the slow running is going to help me build a base so that I can be more efficient in terms of how I use energy/store reserves during longer runs. I just hope I don't get too comfortable at these leisurely paces : )

Stats: 3.01 miles, 42:31 (14:08/mi)

That was definitely my biggest struggle when I first started on my DopeyBadger plan. A few weeks in I can say it feels more natural but I haven't felt constrained by running slower when I do race. It has gotten to the point where on EA/EB I feel more relaxed because I'm very rarely concerned with keeping up a certain pace.

One thing I'm starting to wonder, though... will I get "used" to running this slow?

Yes! It's actually rare that anyone feels normal at their slow pace in the beginning. Most take ~2 weeks before things start to adjust. Remember by running slower you're using muscles slightly differently (just like when you run faster). So everything with your body needs to learn these new paces.

Am I going to feel like I'm pushing way too hard if I run my half at 12-ish minutes a mile (I need to keep under a 12:40 pace)?

No! If we made the plan correctly, which I surely hope I did. Then, you'll be pleasantly surprised how easy running at the faster pace feels even though you only kept it up for a much shorter period of time. It all goes back to cumulative fatigue and keeping that medium level of fatigue constantly. But that level of fatigue becomes more and more normal, such that when you taper and start racing you realize what that medium level of fatigue felt like vs the taper feeling of pure speed.

I just hope I don't get too comfortable at these leisurely paces : )

Just keep in mind, you're just starting out on the plan. It's intentionally very easy right now. As the plan builds on itself it gets progressively harder. Which means while the easy days feel ridiculously easy now, you will relish and enjoy the easy days later in the plan as a reprieve from the hard days. It also adds to the point that you need to be careful going too fast on the easy days right now. Because any additional fatigue you build right now will carry through through the rest of the plan. Lots of time before the real fun stuff starts. In the end think of the easy pacing less as strict numbers but more of a zone. Your easy zone is 14:00-14:56. I intentionally write the plan with some runs at either end of the spectrum to remind you not to always do the faster end of the easy spectrum. But as long as you're not exceeding 13:32, then you're fine. This isn't to say, yea go ahead and run faster than 14:00 all the time. It's just to say, don't worry about it too much. Big pace window on easy days. Now when you get to CV pacing and HM tempo pacing, the pace interval window shrinks dramatically. That's where it becomes really important to stick to the pacing. Because a few seconds one way or the other can dramatically change the body's response/adaptation to the workout.

A few weeks in I can say it feels more natural but I haven't felt constrained by running slower when I do race.

That's great to hear, thanks for chiming in!

It all goes back to cumulative fatigue and keeping that medium level of fatigue constantly. But that level of fatigue becomes more and more normal, such that when you taper and start racing you realize what that medium level of fatigue felt like vs the taper feeling of pure speed.

Ah, that makes so much sense.

In the end think of the easy pacing less as strict numbers but more of a zone. Your easy zone is 14:00-14:56

Ha. The side of me that works with numbers for a living has been focused on narrowing the margin of error. Glad to know it's more of a zone - I'll relax about it.

you will relish and enjoy the easy days later in the plan as a reprieve from the hard days

I already like the easy days, though!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter