• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

We're ALL mad here

I see the best of both worlds here and think a lot of it depends on how often you get to go.

When I was a kid, we only went a handful of times, so my dad would plan every second of the trip based off of the map to get every ounce out of it as we wouldn't be coming back for years. I tend to do the same.

But as my DW reminds me, we live 3 hours south of Orlando. We are coming back. Settle down. And she's right. So this time, I'm going to set a few FP's, maybe a reservation, and from there, we are going to wander around and take in what's around us.

Yes! I think this is an important point. I'm doing the same thing, but I am enjoying it too! It's not like it's making me miserable, and I think my DW is mostly just amused at how I'm handling it more than anything else :)
totally! Mine laughed at me this morning because I couldn't sleep last night and ofc all I did was research research research :upsidedow
He said it was cute how I'm so excited I can't even sleep lol but tbf I did just find out 4 days ago. 200 days to go!

I also agree it can be done both ways, planning wise. My first experience was Feb 2017 and it was totally spontaneous. We were already in FL and had extra $ so we did the 4-park, 4-day package. As two active adults on a limited budget, we still had the most magical time of my life (and we just got off a 9 day cruise! -- that's why we were in FL). Literally I cried multiple times lol I'm tearing up just typing it jeez. Anyway, we mainly did QS meals & I got kids meals which were plenty. Tbh I preferred the kids options but only because we went to very basic places. We managed to get a seat in the yak & yeti for lunch and split an appetizer & entree. We rode every ride we wanted multiple times. So yeah, it can be done; however, I'm sure it's way more difficult when you have kids

I adore planning my holidays down to the smallest detail. Then I forget all about my plans then wing it.
I've done that on occasion.
I tried really hard to study the metro system in Barcelona... got there said screw it and took cabs everywhere. California/Arizona girl for the life of me cannot figure out how to use public transportation. I'm hopeless.

I totally drive my SO crazy with all of my planning. Between dining reservations, fastpasses, and all of my spreadsheets, he usually wants to kill me before we even leave for the trip haha.

We might be going for an unexpected, super quick trip over easter next year and I told him if we go I will only make one dining reservation - he burst out laughing and said 'yeah ok!'

I'm planning my granddaughters first trip and it is much more complicated now than I ever remember. Not fun at all.

I'm an uber-planner, and I love it!

We've got our trip planning (what works for us) down to a science at this point and I know it saves us precious time and lets us do what we like to do so much easier.

I can't imagine not planning, it really gives me so much joy in the months leading up to our vacation, and I really miss it when it's over.

a586624467bb92d608fc03d7f61319ac.jpg

Planning, schmanning.

We ended up going to MK on 12/27 last year. Two days after Christmas. The busiest week of the year, right? We ordered our park tickets on 12/26 @ 10:45 in the morning. So we started booking FP less than 24 hours before we'd arrive at the park. Here's what we had accomplished by 8p (we arrived at 9a):

BTMRR (FP)
Pluto M&G
Pirates
Small World
Stitch's Escape
Stitch M&G
Monster's Laugh Floor
People Mover
Carousel of Progres
Rode the train
Space Mountain (FP from Splash which was shut down when our FP time was up).

+ lunch (QS), dole whips, Ice Cream and snacks, and some shopping.

We could have done Splash also (we were at the entrance when they reopened), but we were tired.

Just curious- How do you remember all that? I can’t remember what I had for lunch yesterday nevermind what rides I did on my last trip.

I hate lines, crowds, and most rides, so planning Disney is a necessity for me otherwise I would end up miserable. The kids are why I go lol. I don’t plan any other trip excessively, but for me, planning Disney is necessary. I think we are going to Universal in December, so that’s a whole other unfamiliar situation where I’ll have to obsessively research.
If you can swing it stay in one of their deluxe resorts. You'll get unlimited express passes. I think you get priority seating at restaurants. I love Universal.

Nope, those crazy, planning every move, days are long behind us and I can tell you that, for us, our vacations have become 100 times better and more importantly, relaxing. When we get back home we do not need a vacation from our vacation:) I'm sorry but there is no ADR or FP that I would stress over and plan on getting up early or stay up late just so I can get it. I see posters stressing over an ADR because they wanted it at 08:00 and could only get 08:30:sad2: The bottom line is that my DW is soooo much happier that we are no longer doing park touring plans with my spreadsheet:love1:.

Just curious- How do you remember all that? I can’t remember what I had for lunch yesterday nevermind what rides I did on my last trip.
I found the email confirming our purchase of park passes, so that gave me the date and time of that.

I had also texted my mom at 8p that night with the list of what we had accomplished. So that gave me that day's activities.

I don't think you're crazy at all. A big part of my fun is planning the trip, the changing the plans :D I make dining reservations and our fastpasses but we try to plan loosely so we can just go wherever the mood takes us. I really enjoy finding all of the great websites and tools available. Right now were 1145 days until the next trip (unless I can sneak another one in!)

Nope I make spreadsheets for vacation. My DH just says. You know what I like. Works great.
I do the same thing!!! I do love my spreadsheets!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter