Well, we caved, and cancelled our July trip

ILoveMyDVC

DIS Veteran
The final straw was the thought of getting the 4 and 8 year old to wear masks - no way it was going to happen. We were 70% there thinking about the lonnnnnggg lines ensuing from cleaning each and every 'car'; the potential of not all 4 parks opened, no character dinners, limited entertainment ect...but the masks on the boys - one of whom has ADHD was just too much.

So after having the 3 children counting down the days on their own homemade calendars since February, their parents must tell them today, it is a no-go.

Some of my points must be used by March 31, 2021 (April UY) and the rest go to my 2021 UY. I think we can safely kiss those March points away - Not using them to go shopping in their glorified mall.

So now I have missed the birth of my first grandchild and seeing him thus far and we will miss this long planned trip. Fortuntately, we have kept our jobs. Each week, WDW closes, I wonder if they will indeed reopen in any normal experience and what the value and the realistic use of our DVC points will be. Only time will tell.

Sorry your plans had to change. I hope the children won't be to upset when they are tell the very hard to hear news. Hopefully you will get to use your points before they expire in March 2021. Sending you pixie dust for things to start looking up for you and your family. pixiedust:

I'm sorry, this is the suck. I cancelled our trip I had planned for my birthday in mid-July for similar reasons, I can't imagine my ADHD/high functioning autism son wearing the mask the entire time. And don't get me started on my husband in that heat with a mask. We are scheduled for something towards the end of August I'm on the fence for cancelling, I'm going to wait until July and see if they actually enforce the masks or not. I figure since this is America and I know locally where I live in the stores they can't even make people stand 6 feet apart in grocery lines (it's taped off, people are either stupid or willfully non-compliant) I'm dubious to people actually wearing the masks in the parks all the time. I hope you find some way to use your points before they expire!

Very sorry to hear that your plans have changed. I think it will be tough for children (and many adults) to wear the masks in the summer heat of Orlando.

Don't let your March points go to waste - consider renting them.

I'm sorry you had to cancel. I have an end of July reservation and was holding out hope but I too just can't fathom wearing a mask in the heat so I'm 99% we will cancel- just waiting for official word from Disney. Goodbye coveted Beach Club reservation.

I’m also an April UY. Canceled all my 2020 plans. Tried so hard to come up with a plan B and even a plan C For my grandkids, but threw in the towel. Still trying to sort out my points, but will end up with 300 2019 banked points to use. Hoping for a snowbird trip jan/feb just to burn through these points. I’m lucky that we are retired and have flexibility. Just hoping things are better by 2021 and we’ve adjusted to a new normal Heck, I’m even nervous that January might not happen.

It's a tough call. Barring some miracle vaccine approval timeline (and thorough distribution), masks could be our "new normal" through 2021. I'm holding out hope we'll be able to visit in July. Honestly I don't think procedures will be any different through the first half of 2021.

My reservation isn't until September, but I'm still thinking of cancelling. But I've been dragging my heels until the last minute, because if there's some miracle, I'd hate to have cancelled my BCV reservation.

Sorry. It's sad, for missing the trip and the reason behind it.

Our April trip was a bust, We hoped we could do August (an extended family thing so coordination is an issue) but we realized that the kids, including one with sensory issues, wouldn't wear masks in the heat. The pools are also a big thing for us and I don't think I'd be comfortable swimming yet, assuming the pools are even open. We're aiming for next easter even though it means the college age kids won't be able to go. Even then I still can't see the kids wearing masks.

For a typical Disney-overplanner, it's so weird/hard to just throw my hands up and wait to see what happens.

We’re also going to cancel our late July/early August trip. I haven’t done it yet but I’ve known since March it wouldn’t happen for my family. We have APs waiting to be activated and a 12 day trip booked on mostly banked points. We budgeted to get those points saved and now they will likely be lost. At least we will have all our 2020 points to use if by some miracle we get this under control by next summer.

Very sorry to hear that your plans have changed. I think it will be tough for children (and many adults) to wear the masks in the summer heat of Orlando.

Don't let your March points go to waste - consider renting them.

Interesting - hadn't thought of that - who would want them with everything up in the air?

Sorry. It's sad, for missing the trip and the reason behind it.

Our April trip was a bust, We hoped we could do August (an extended family thing so coordination is an issue) but we realized that the kids, including one with sensory issues, wouldn't wear masks in the heat. The pools are also a big thing for us and I don't think I'd be comfortable swimming yet, assuming the pools are even open. We're aiming for next easter even though it means the college age kids won't be able to go. Even then I still can't see the kids wearing masks.

For a typical Disney-overplanner, it's so weird/hard to just throw my hands up and wait to see what happens.
I had perfect ADRs....

I’m also an April UY. Canceled all my 2020 plans. Tried so hard to come up with a plan B and even a plan C For my grandkids, but threw in the towel. Still trying to sort out my points, but will end up with 300 2019 banked points to use. Hoping for a snowbird trip jan/feb just to burn through these points. I’m lucky that we are retired and have flexibility. Just hoping things are better by 2021 and we’ve adjusted to a new normal Heck, I’m even nervous that January might not happen.

266 points. We will try to use. There is availability but we have to decide now. If my DH, DIL andnew GS want to go, I'd be all over it, otherwise DH and I will go and burn some points,

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter