• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Well, DCL has priced me out. :( So I'm giving NCL a try.

fredandkell

I'd rather be cruising
We sailed NCL to Alaska and Hawaii pre-kids and enjoyed the line. I love DCL and all it offers, but their pricing has just gotten out of control. The older NCL ships didn't seem to have much to offer kids, but their new ships, such as the Bliss (maiden voyage in May) looks really kid-friendly.

We wanted to redo our "Irma-ed out" 7-day Eastern itinerary in February 2019. Two connecting veranda rooms on DCL is $8680 for four people (it was $6800 first time we booked it). Two connecting balcony minisuites on NCL on brand-new ship is $6320. They also threw in $280 onboard credit, free unlimited alcohol, free wifi, and $100 per port shore excursion credit. The freebies are worth about $590 not including the onboard credit, so we're getting about $7190 worth for the $6320 we're paying.

So, it makes me sad to say it, but sorry, DCL, we are parting ways next year and we're gonna try out a new cruise line with the kiddos.

We sailed NCL to Alaska and Hawaii pre-kids and enjoyed the line. I love DCL and all it offers, but their pricing has just gotten out of control. The older NCL ships didn't seem to have much to offer kids, but their new ships, such as the Bliss (maiden voyage in May) looks really kid-friendly.

We wanted to redo our "Irma-ed out" 7-day Eastern itinerary in February 2019. Two connecting veranda rooms on DCL is $8680 for four people (it was $6800 first time we booked it). Two connecting balcony minisuites on NCL on brand-new ship is $6320. They also threw in $280 onboard credit, free unlimited alcohol, free wifi, and $100 per port shore excursion credit. The freebies are worth about $590 not including the onboard credit, so we're getting about $7190 worth for the $6320 we're paying.

So, it makes me sad to say it, but sorry, DCL, we are parting ways next year and we're gonna try out a new cruise line with the kiddos.

I get it. I just priced out the DCL 2019 Baltics cruise and for about $2000 less, we would get a two-room suite (instead of a Cat V), tons of free amenities and a better itinerary, IMHO, on Celebrity. I haven't booked it yet (still considering other options), but if we go with the Baltics, it won't be with DCL.

We've already booked NCL for the Baltics in 2019. I was willing to pay more for Disney, within reason, but the itinerary was better on NCL this time around as well.

Go into your NCL cruise with an open mind and I bet you have a blast. We sailed NCL for the first time last summer on the Sun (one of their smallest and oldest ships - literally no bells and whistles :-)). Now, our son was 19 at the time, so we didn't have to worry about keeping small children happy. Though there were plenty of families on board and they all looked to be having a good time. It was Alaska and it's pretty hard NOT to have a good time, no matter what ship you are on!

We loved our cruise and while NCL does some things differently than Disney, there were some things we actually liked better (food for one). We had such a great time that we bought 4 future cruise credits and have two more NCL cruises booked. We have found much better itineraries on NCL and we love their Freestyle dining concept. I'm kind of over being told when and where to eat (and sometimes who to eat with) when I'm on vacation.

Enjoy your cruise!

Go into your NCL cruise with an open mind and I bet you have a blast. We sailed NCL for the first time last summer on the Sun (one of their smallest and oldest ships - literally no bells and whistles :-)). Now, our son was 19 at the time, so we didn't have to worry about keeping small children happy. Though there were plenty of families on board and they all looked to be having a good time. It was Alaska and it's pretty hard NOT to have a good time, no matter what ship you are on!

We loved our cruise and while NCL does some things differently than Disney, there were some things we actually liked better (food for one). We had such a great time that we bought 4 future cruise credits and have two more NCL cruises booked. We have found much better itineraries on NCL and we love their Freestyle dining concept. I'm kind of over being told when and where to eat (and sometimes who to eat with) when I'm on vacation.

Enjoy your cruise!

The "pick your own time and own tablemates" concept was a big reason we did NCL the other two times back in the day. Definitely like that.

We found such a good deal last November we tried NCL. We had a balcony, free alcoholic package, free tips, litre of water each in room each day (14 total ) for 500 each. Bargain

We are with you. I just booked HAL for the Baltic’s. I know people complain it’s an older person ship but with such a port intensive trip, I don’t think we will have a ton of time on board anyway. Plus my kids are getting older and aren’t so in love with the kids clubs any more. I couldn’t justify the DCL price for 6 of us. Plus being Catholic I love that they have Mass on board and I don’t have to hunt for one in port on Sundays. We were able to book two signature suites for less then DCL ocean view.

I’m sure you will have a blast on NCL. The race track on top of the Bliss looks amazing. My 10 year old wants to now go on NCL. I might look to book a Caribbean on it! Make sure you report back!

Ditto.

I've sailed six times myself with DCL, once my husband and I together for our honeymoon last year. We had plans to sail a 7 day EC this year and 7 day Alaska next, but Disney's astronomical prices are making us switch to RCL. We also plan to try NCL in the future.

Hope you enjoy your cruise! :)

We found such a good deal last November we tried NCL. We had a balcony, free alcoholic package, free tips, litre of water each in room each day (14 total ) for 500 each. Bargain
How did you like it? Or have you not sailed yet?

I completely understand this. :( We too had to jump ship for 2019, but we went with RCCL. We were able to get a 9 night cruise for 2600.00 less than a 7 night on DCL. So as much as it pains me to not be booked on DCL for 2019, I am excited about this new adventure.

Good luck to everyone who is trying something different!

I'm seriously considering giving NCL a try. If we go with Disney we won't be able to do any other short trips like at spring break. Would rather be able to do a little more with the vacation funds. Like the looks of the Escape going to Bermuda out of NYC. If we leave from NYC could catch a Broadway show which theater loving DD really wants to do. At first I was a little sad thinking about no Disney cruise but now I'm getting excited about trying something new and going to NYC!

While I love DCL and I will always find ways to sail with them even if it’s only once every couple of years I’m planning to cheat on them with NCL lol

I completely understand this. :( We too had to jump ship for 2019, but we went with RCCL. We were able to get a 9 night cruise for 2600.00 less than a 7 night on DCL. So as much as it pains me to not be booked on DCL for 2019, I am excited about this new adventure.

Good luck to everyone who is trying something different!

Hoping that you will love it. Check out my recent Brilliance of the seas trip report on the RCCL board here, it felt very DCL like and was easily in my top 5 cruises. The upsell stuff is really easy to ignore, and we didn't feel it was too bad at all. The only thing we bought was a alcoholic drink card similar to the deal in the martini bar on the a Dream class.

In 2019 we are off to the Celebrity Edge, a very cutting edge new build, for over a grand less than we could do any DCL trip. They have some really cool ideas with their MDRs on the edge that we can't wait to try. While we still really like DCL we won't wish we were on a DCL ship anymore if one is docked next to us.

So glad we branched out:)

Hoping that you will love it. Check out my recent Brilliance of the seas trip report on the RCCL board here, it felt very DCL like and was easily in my top 5 cruises. The upsell stuff is really easy to ignore, and we didn't feel it was too bad at all. The only thing we bought was a alcoholic drink card similar to the deal in the martini bar on the a Dream class.

In 2019 we are off to the Celebrity Edge, a very cutting edge new build, for over a grand less than we could do any DCL trip. They have some really cool ideas with their MDRs on the edge that we can't wait to try. While we still really like DCL we won't wish we were on a DCL ship anymore if one is docked next to us.

So glad we branched out:)

Interesting. I'm dropping my Feb Edge cruise because I can do either the Dream or Wonder for over a grand less than my single stateroom (designed to be such) on the Edge. :)

I went on NCL two years ago and did a Disney cruise pre kids. Wasn't impressed with NCL I guess I was spoiled. I had kids for NCL. Disney was with my niece and nephew so kids were there. More to do on Disney, cast members wonderful, good food and clean. I do agree I haven't gone on another Disney cruise but that is because of the cost. I have 5 kids and they would have never gone on a cruise if I didn't do NCL, but it turned me off from future cruises. Next few vacations will be Disney and then would like to take them to Hawaii and Italy.

We've already booked NCL for the Baltics in 2019. I was willing to pay more for Disney, within reason, but the itinerary was better on NCL this time around as well.
Nice. I'm considering this or the British Isles cruise on DCL. Due to the fact that the British Isles cruise is in Sept it's not over the top expensive. I'm also waiting to see what the WBTA looks like.

Interesting. I'm dropping my Feb Edge cruise because I can do either the Dream or Wonder for over a grand less than my single stateroom (designed to be such) on the Edge. :)

All I can say is an inside on the edge was 2k vs a bit over 3k for any DCL trip for an inside around the same time. The Edge prices really do jump up for the other styles of rooms, but we got lucky to get an inside and booked not long after they opened the booking for it. It has sold quickly and apparently prices are going up. We were on the fence about dropping it until they released the dining, we had concerns it was catering to the suite and concierge guests too much. We rarely spend money on a ship anymore, DCL got all my souvenir money with my hoodie collection;)

This will probably be our only cruise on the Edge class because right now it sits right at our 150 per person per night cutoff. Here is the kicker, I believe only 2 of our cruises broke that rule and that was the concierge cruises on the Fantasy, otherwise our DCL were under that number:)

I think if it's a port intensive cruise (i.e. only 1 sea day ), then we don't get to spend much time on the ship. So for us, i think that it would NOT matter that much if we're on Disney or not. (this is assuming we get off at every port - and generally we do - it's too empty not too!) Basically we're just there for dinner and to sleep.

Last cruise, my kids (3,1) didn't have much interest in the kids club and it was too cold for the pool (alaska) - but now i'm worry for this cruise - warm enough for the pool and my kids are more confident and might like the kids club. I'm not sure i'm going to be able to get them off the ship to do excursions....

When you can stay on the ship more - i think i get more value from the DCL experience.

Not to worry, there IS life after DCL! My daughter has outgrown princesses, has never gone in the kids' clubs (well once but not a good experience), and likes more activity on her cruises - especially pools (Disney's ONE pool is horrible). We also like more freedom for dinner options. I think the repetition of Disney cruises has gotten to me - same dining, same shows, and good Lord, same itineraries. Our current favorites are the RCI Oasis class ships. Lots to do, great (and several) pools, lots of food options (love that my daughter can go to the specialty restaurants), and several family friendly shows including (usually) a Broadway musical (daughter's favorites). I have a Disney credit and a future cruise discount that most likely will expire. IF the new ships have some cool, new things happening and different itineraries, I might consider a cruise on one of them but right now no Disney cruise in our future.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter