Welcome to Holiday Week G+ Surge Pricing

Wow, $29 today. It will be interesting to see what the Christmas prices are.
As others said, I wonder if the higher price will cause fewer to purchase, which they said was the goal.

I'm very, very scared for Christmas week. Honestly wouldn't pay for that even though it may significantly reduce the number of rides we do. It's just ridiculous.
That’s just cutting off your nose to spite your face. I went to WDW for Christmas/NYE week for nearly 20 years. It is unbelievably busy. Why spend all of that money to be there to just mill around from one long line to another? Complain, throw a fit, grit your teeth and plan on forking over another $50 per person to enjoy the attractions.

That’s just cutting off your nose to spite your face. I went to WDW for Christmas/NYE week for nearly 20 years. It is unbelievably busy. Why spend all of that money to be there to just mill around from one long line to another? Complain, throw a fit, grit your teeth and plan on forking over another $50 per person to enjoy the attractions.
I agree. I went during Christmas + New Years a few years ago and it was insanely busy. I remember riding whatever Fastpass+ reservations I had and that was about it. My family and I are only doing 2 park days during Christmas this year and we plan on buying Genie+. We expect it to be around $50 and will be surprised if it's lower.

Same. As a family of 3 it’s easier compared to large families and at the end of the day we can afford it (even if I don’t like paying for it), but I will buy it for MK and Epcot/HS combo days. Do I like to pay for it? No. Could I take some stand and say “No I’m not giving into the man so I will stand here for 2 hours just to prove my point”? Sure, but I’m not willing to mess up my vacation for that. I would rather pay and not stand in super long lines. Now we will cut back on some things to make up for the price increase, so they aren’t necessarily getting more money out of me at the end...it’s just being shifted from one bucket to the other.

We decided to move our Dec trip to an offsite hotel. The savings almost entirely pays for G+ and ILL (especially when you factor in the free breakfast) and since we are planning more late nights than early mornings the early entry is less of a benefit to us. But yeah, $29pp hurts.

We decided to move our Dec trip to an offsite hotel. The savings almost entirely pays for G+ and ILL (especially when you factor in the free breakfast) and since we are planning more late nights than early mornings the early entry is less of a benefit to us. But yeah, $29pp hurts.
That is a great idea! I almost wish we would have done that for our trip next week. We are planning on doing more late nights than early mornings for the first time ever. The only downside is we wouldn't get EEH if not staying at deluxe. We still may try this if we ever return.

I completely understand what you are saying. I have to see what ends up happening. Obviously we don't want to have all this invested and then only go on 1 ride. On the other hand, we have very tempered expectations so we are anticipating enjoying the festive mood and other entertainment. We know it's not going to be the same as other trips.

I wouldn't stay on a line longer than 45 minutes no matter the time of year, so that's an easy decision making process for me!

I completely understand what you are saying. I have to see what ends up happening. Obviously we don't want to have all this invested and then only go on 1 ride. On the other hand, we have very tempered expectations so we are anticipating enjoying the festive mood and other entertainment. We know it's not going to be the same as other trips.

I wouldn't stay on a line longer than 45 minutes no matter the time of year, so that's an easy decision making process for me!
The only way you’ll wait in line for less than 45 minutes between 10 am and 10 pm will be with G+.

Doesn't look like the surge pricing is easing standby waits any. Flight of Passage standby is currently showing a 4-hour wait.

RnRC, Frozen, and Slinky are all currently more than 2 hours.

Aagh!
FOP has been that way for a few days now - absolutely nuts! Its like back to the early Pandora days! I remember reading posts saying "Friendly reminder that 350 minutes is NOT 3 hours and 50 minutes."

ETA that the current standby wait for Tower of Terror is 220 minutes, or 3 hours and 40 minutes!!!

FOP has been that way for a few days now - absolutely nuts! Its like back to the early Pandora days! I remember reading posts saying "Friendly reminder that 350 minutes is NOT 3 hours and 50 minutes."

ETA that the current standby wait for Tower of Terror is 220 minutes, or 3 hours and 40 minutes!!!

Standby times have indeed been incredibly long (although yesterday I think ToT being down half the day was mostly to blame for that one), however the Lightning Lanes have been working as intended with minimal waits in most cases. The price seems to have been enough to tamp LL down enough, even though that price x4 has been a tough pill to swallow each morning (I get a break from it today!!)

The only way you’ll wait in line for less than 45 minutes between 10 am and 10 pm will be with G+.
Good to know. I've just been spoiled the last 2 trips without G+ and didn't have to wait for that long. One was spring break and one was summer after they opened, so that doesn't count.

I'll just wait and see what they extract from me!

These inflated Genie + prices are disgusting. So disappointing.
There's only one solution to get the line wait times down = BUILD ANOTHER PARK!!!!

With the new demand pricing and different pricing for different parks, a new park would be a win win for the Company. They also need to address the positive expansion at Universal (Epic).

FOP has been particularly bad lately, moreso than the others. Any guesses why? It was 120 minutes within 10 minutes of an 8am regular park opening today and is currently 170 minutes. Its been pretty consistently a longer wait than RotR, which did not use to be true. I was not planning to buy an ILL for it on our upcoming trip, but I guess maybe I will have to. Trying to track rope drop and end of the night wait times.

FOP has been particularly bad lately, moreso than the others. Any guesses why? It was 120 minutes within 10 minutes of an 8am regular park opening today and is currently 170 minutes. Its been pretty consistently a longer wait than RotR, which did not use to be true. I was not planning to buy an ILL for it on our upcoming trip, but I guess maybe I will have to. Trying to track rope drop and end of the night wait times.

I recently got back from a WDW trip and witnessed the longer FOP waits 1st hand ... my current theory is that the park reservation system is doing what Disney intended. On a few of my days both MK and HS were 'sold out' even if the park levels were not close to what I would consider a sell out. By selling out MK and HS, it drives the higher fall/winter crowds over to AK, and then with only a few attractions everyone rope drops to FOP.

FOP was always a long wait, but with the park reservations selling out elsewhere it just drives up the FOP wait at AK even longer.

I disagree. I think Disney needs to add more capacity to the non MK parks. I don't think another half day park would fix anything. Having more than 7 rides at AK and 9 at HS would.
This exactly.

Whatever they plan at DAK for Dinosaur has to increase capacity.

At DHS I’m all for a reimagining of the Animation Courtyard.

Even EPCOT could use another attraction (looking at you paused/scrapped Mary Poppins project, Play Pavilion)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter