Weird Next Door Interaction

I don't know who "moderates" NextDoor--most hidden moderation system I've seen; however, they don't seem to let they hyperconservatives get too far on my local site. Oh they try to start stuff but then it disappears relatively quickly. I can't imagine what would happen if it wasn't stopped.
I'm not sure how I got picked. I rarely ever use the site. I agreed and took some of their courses on moderating. They had a good series on diversity that everyone should have to take in life lol.

Sometimes the Next Door app concerns me way more than other social media since these nutcases are...well..my neighbors.

Someone asked for greeting cards for a church kid craft project to basically, make cards from cards. I let her know that every charity on the planet sends me cards and she could have them. OK, done.

No...some nutcase has to start their diatribe that back in their day kids drew their cards. Me being me responded that while yes we probably did, it was truly ok that kids could do a craft project...

Then I was called a bully in return.

It got reported and ironically I'm on the review board. It got removed, but just very odd.
I can believe that. You're a big ol' meanie. :laughing:

My city's NextDoor has been taken over by a small but very loud group of hyperconservatives. They hate the mayor, they hate the culture, they hate absolutely everything that makes NOLA unique. And they are hell bent on making their displeasure known over and over and over again ad nauseum. I rarely look at it anymore.
I do think some people treat Nextdoor as like their own personal FB pages. I'm fine with peeps complaining about property values, wondering what that random car is about, etc even as asinine as it can be but once you start making comments that are more about your personal political views or other personal views it's time to take that off of the Nextdoor platform.

Give me "is this your pet?" posts all day long over some of the other stuff that make its way there.

I do think some people treat Nextdoor as like their own personal FB pages. I'm fine with peeps complaining about property values, wondering what that random car is about, etc even as asinine as it can be but once you start making comments that are more about your personal political views or other personal views it's time to take that off of the Nextdoor platform.

Give me "is this your pet?" posts all day long over some of the other stuff that make its way there.
Agreed. It was kinda funny though. They got together over ND to start a campaign to recall the Democratic mayor. From the way they were talking, they had all the signatures they needed and it was a done deal. In truth, their big recall campaign fell many thousands of signatures short of the number needed. Boy were they angry. You should have seen the posts for days afterward.

This one was posted last night: A picture of a car that had crashed into a restaurant. The message said, "A black car crashed into a restaurant. Can anyone confirm this?" Virtually every single response: "Um, isn't the picture confirmation enough?"

I found the story on a local new station's website. A car did, indeed, crash into a restaurant. Thankfully there were no injuries.

The good thing about living in a mixed class urban neighborhood is when the fireworks go off it's....Boom....long pause.....boom. Then they've run out of money and fireworks 🤣

My parents live in the "compound". Gated country club. Their fireworks last for hours.

fire, or an ambulance parked at someone’s house. It’s really no one’s business. It really annoys me.
we don't have a nextdoor for our neighborhood so this kind of info gets passed around largly via text chains, that said-

in general i totally agree but i have to say that i take comfort in knowing that in my neighborhood a sighting like that would trigger immediate offers of watching the impacted household's children (or picking them up at the bus-stop and watching them afterwards) or disabled family members and/or providing a ride to the hospital for those who are not being transported in the ambulance (and we have many non drivers), when we had a neighborhood fire that text chain alerted people to take action/evacuate long before fire officials arrived, provided offers of going on properties of at work residents to gather and safely house their family pets, turn on their sprinklers to provide some protection...

Funny this came up. I have an account but never look at it. Nothing really to crazy from what I saw when I did look for a short time.

Well yesterday I thought about making a post but changed my mind because I’m afraid of the flame throwers. I recently moved to our new home out in the farm. My sister lives next door. Two nights ago a cat showed up at her house, hollering constantly. The next morning it was still there so they gave it some food. She texted me because for some reason she thought I might take it in. Well, no I’m not. I have a cat and don’t want another. But in the meantime this cat will not leave. Most likely dropped off. And I think it may be pregnant. I was considering a ND post or Facebook post but figure everyone will have their opinions about how we should handle this, when all I want to do is see if there is an owner missing it.

So totally off topic, but if someone dropped this poor kitty off in the cold, they suck.
I’m happy to say we found a home for the kitty. ❤️

we don't have a nextdoor for our neighborhood so this kind of info gets passed around largly via text chains, that said-

in general i totally agree but i have to say that i take comfort in knowing that in my neighborhood a sighting like that would trigger immediate offers of watching the impacted household's children (or picking them up at the bus-stop and watching them afterwards) or disabled family members and/or providing a ride to the hospital for those who are not being transported in the ambulance (and we have many non drivers), when we had a neighborhood fire that text chain alerted people to take action/evacuate long before fire officials arrived, provided offers of going on properties of at work residents to gather and safely house their family pets, turn on their sprinklers to provide some protection...
Agreed. My parents live in an over 55 and those people look out for each other. My mom was taken to the hospital by ambulance (she is fine now thankfully!). My dad is mobile to a certain extent, but not able to drive at all. The outpouring of offers to help drive, bring him food, take him to and from the hospital, pick up his medications, etc was amazing. And it was because of the community's facebook group which is usually mainly a source of griping for 80% of the residents. It was a great comfort to my mom who was able to be on her cell phone despite needing to be admitted for a week.

:sad2: Oh Lord...how I wish more people would just try to live quietly and at peace with all people...literally and figuratively.
I think pictures of other people's houses should be taken down. It's so invasive. For missing pets, kids, and elderly people the app can be quite good. I've also seen some great posts for people in need and the response has been great. There's a lot of ridiculous stuff. Don't post a video of someone stepping on your lawn.....so stupid.

Regarding the conservative posts,
our ND is dominated by liberals who hate anyone conservative.
I cannot believe the horrible things that are said.
But, it isn't allowed to go on too long nowadays as it is supposed
to be a "no politics" social platform.

The one thing that really confuses me is that when I, and many others,
joined ND over the past several years, we were made to use our
actual first and last names.
I did not want to join, but I knew several neighbors and some friends
were on there so I took the plunge.
Now I see many people w/obvious fake names or just an initial for the last name, etc.
and I don't understand how they got away with it.

The one thing that really confuses me is that when I, and many others, joined ND over the past several years, we were made to use our
actual first and last names.
I did not want to join, but I knew several neighbors and some friends were on there so I took the plunge.
Now I see many people w/obvious fake names or just an initial for the last name, etc. and I don't understand how they got away with it.
People are allowed to hide the last name and use just an initial outside of their home neighborhood.

Fake names should be reported. You can click on the name and click the three dots in the upper right-hand corner to report.

People are allowed to hide the last name and use just an initial outside of their home neighborhood.

Fake names should be reported. You can click on the name and click the three dots in the upper right-hand corner to report.

Thanks for the reminder.
I forgot about the outside neighborhood thing.

I have a love/hate relationship with Nextdoor. I found a great book club on it. And some great deals on the buy/sell. But once I posted about a dog I rescued and was yelled at that I dared to call animal control. It was getting dark and the dog tried to bite me. It took animal control 20 minutes to coax it to safety. The owner got it the next day.

I donated a ton of stuff to a woman on there. She lives in a much nicer home than we do so I’m not sure she really needed it but I’ll give her the benefit of doubt.
We also donated old fencing gear, some autographed Bruins stuff and a desk.
The number of people asking for help to do basic home repairs or maintenance is pretty high. My husband says we are the last generation who learned how to be self sufficient. He may be right!
There are folks posting videos of coyotes every day in a panic. There are coyotes here. We took their home and they found a way to live in ours. I actually like seeing animals but some neighbors freak out!
You must live in my neighborhood! 🤣

Ours is mostly (in order of frequency)

1. Was that gunshots?
2. Why can't I have a short term rental/the city council is trampling our rights as homeowners.
3. What's being built at the corner of X and Y?
4. Why is this person at my house/driving on my street/ringing my doorbell? There was one instance where the police actually issued a statement that the group of young people with accents were with a student group doing some sort of door to door fundraiser. There was so much talk on NextDoor about who were they, why were they there, etc that they were worried someone would shoot one of them. There was a similar incident right before Christmas this year with a fedex driver - people were adamant she was stealing packages. She was picking up people's scheduled pickups.
5. Coyotes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Followed by - my outdoor cat is missing.
6. What kind of snake is this? Usually a picture of a rat snake that is expertly identified as a deadly copperheaded rattle moccasin by everyone on the site.

and an honorable mention to the gentleman who is convinced that the coyotes are actually wolves. He shows up a couple of times a year and rants for days about how we have packs of wolves running around our city (in southern Alabama).

Another honorable mention to the folks who bought all the new houses in the path of our little tiny airport who can't figure out why the city doesn't put a stop to all the planes taking off and landing, it's sooooooooo noisy.

:rolleyes: As someone who had a development built next to our farm I can answer some of these ...

1. You heard gunshots? Well, that could have been us. Or the farm across the way. Or the shooting range down the road the police have...or you know - it could be because it's hunting season because you moved to a rural hunting-centric area????????
2. Feral Cat? No, that's my barn cat. The one you keep feeding even though I asked you not to. The one you keep calling animal control on to catch/ wand when you see him walking thru my fields - and oh! surprise! his chip says he lives here...yeah, that healthy/chipped/well fed & vaccinated cat lives in my barn.
3. The screams? It's the foxes, they do that.
4. That smell? It's horses & chicken farms.
5. Strange car in the neighborhood? Try driving a combine with some yahoo tailgating you, beeping their horn and whipping around you dangerously.
6. Someone need a piece of heavy equipment to do something quick around the house? We can help!
7. Snow pile up? Long driveway? We have a loader, we'll be happy to help!
8. Trying to save the neighborhood $$ and need the open spaces bush hogged in the spring - sure, we can help with that

Ours is mostly (in order of frequency)

1. Was that gunshots?
2. Why can't I have a short term rental/the city council is trampling our rights as homeowners.
3. What's being built at the corner of X and Y?
4. Why is this person at my house/driving on my street/ringing my doorbell? There was one instance where the police actually issued a statement that the group of young people with accents were with a student group doing some sort of door to door fundraiser. There was so much talk on NextDoor about who were they, why were they there, etc that they were worried someone would shoot one of them. There was a similar incident right before Christmas this year with a fedex driver - people were adamant she was stealing packages. She was picking up people's scheduled pickups.
5. Coyotes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Followed by - my outdoor cat is missing.
6. What kind of snake is this? Usually a picture of a rat snake that is expertly identified as a deadly copperheaded rattle moccasin by everyone on the site.

and an honorable mention to the gentleman who is convinced that the coyotes are actually wolves. He shows up a couple of times a year and rants for days about how we have packs of wolves running around our city (in southern Alabama).

Another honorable mention to the folks who bought all the new houses in the path of our little tiny airport who can't figure out why the city doesn't put a stop to all the planes taking off and landing, it's sooooooooo noisy.
😂

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter