Weird Next Door Interaction

N

nw6675

Sometimes the Next Door app concerns me way more than other social media since these nutcases are...well..my neighbors.

Someone asked for greeting cards for a church kid craft project to basically, make cards from cards. I let her know that every charity on the planet sends me cards and she could have them. OK, done.

No...some nutcase has to start their diatribe that back in their day kids drew their cards. Me being me responded that while yes we probably did, it was truly ok that kids could do a craft project...

Then I was called a bully in return.

It got reported and ironically I'm on the review board. It got removed, but just very odd.

OMG NextDoor is just ridiculous. I don't know why I still keep the app on my phone because I'm disgusted anytime I read on there. I mainly just do it for the "lost animals" stuff which I'm involved in. There's also the thing about "know thy enemy" right? I always feel completely disgusted by the ignorance displayed there. I realize that it's basically all the people around an 8 mile radius for me and I'm apparently surrounded by people who barely know how to put in a lightbulb on their own, beg for money for everything, and so much more...I could go on.

OMG NextDoor is just ridiculous. I don't know why I still keep the app on my phone because I'm disgusted anytime I read on there. I mainly just do it for the "lost animals" stuff which I'm involved in. There's also the thing about "know thy enemy" right? I always feel completely disgusted by the ignorance displayed there. I realize that it's basically all the people around an 8 mile radius for me and I'm apparently surrounded by people who barely know how to put in a lightbulb on their own, beg for money for everything, and so much more...I could go on.
I didnt know we were neighbors!!

Seriously, it is truly disturbing.

I donated a ton of stuff to a woman on there. She lives in a much nicer home than we do so I’m not sure she really needed it but I’ll give her the benefit of doubt.
We also donated old fencing gear, some autographed Bruins stuff and a desk.
The number of people asking for help to do basic home repairs or maintenance is pretty high. My husband says we are the last generation who learned how to be self sufficient. He may be right!
There are folks posting videos of coyotes every day in a panic. There are coyotes here. We took their home and they found a way to live in ours. I actually like seeing animals but some neighbors freak out!

There are folks posting videos of coyotes every day in a panic. There are coyotes here. We took their home and they found a way to live in ours. I actually like seeing animals but some neighbors freak out!
There are coyotes in every state except Hawaii. In Massachusetts they have made their home in median strips along turnpikes.

Here’s an interesting article: https://www.snexplores.org/article/coyotes-neighborhood-urban-suburban-city-habitat

A quick Google search for “coyotes live in which states” brings up many more interesting articles to read.

I shut off alerts on that as well. I thought it was a great idea for lost pets but it turned out to be constant notifications for other stuff. (The white van belongs to the cable company, people. :laughing: )

And PS- collage crafts are good for kids' fine motor skills! :teacher: Your grumpy neighbor is wrong. :rotfl:

I donated a ton of stuff to a woman on there. She lives in a much nicer home than we do so I’m not sure she really needed it but I’ll give her the benefit of doubt.
We also donated old fencing gear, some autographed Bruins stuff and a desk.
The number of people asking for help to do basic home repairs or maintenance is pretty high. My husband says we are the last generation who learned how to be self sufficient. He may be right!
Yep, coyotes here. Foxes, snakes. They freak everyone out. All I can figure is that these people grew up strictly in the city and have never lived in a suburb.

The other one is the gunshots. Now, admittedly, there might be some of that but generally it's fireworks and those stupid, loud cars. But oh, the kvetching over the perceived gunshots.

Yep, coyotes here. Foxes, snakes. They freak everyone out. All I can figure is that these people grew up strictly in the city and have never lived in a suburb.

The other one is the gunshots. Now, admittedly, there might be some of that but generally it's fireworks and those stupid, loud cars. But oh, the kvetching over the perceived gunshots.
Our place in Maine is bordered by woods and a half mile from a gun range. I don’t really notice the sound any more!

On mine there are so many requests for money or gofundme pages.
We've had a lot of that recently. Sometimes veiled. The other day we had a woman posting that she and her 3 kids all came down with COVID. All she had in the house, apparently, was a can of spinach and some gizzards. She didn't know what to do with the gizzards but someone told her to get them at the store. People came on to tell her how to make a gizzard soup and she just got more and more pissed. Someone finally called her out and was like "is this another plea for money?"

I mean it's a shame because there probably are truly desperate people out there but there are so many scammers it's hard to know.

Some of the biggest fights on our NextDoor area are about the panhandlers. People are irritated by them being all over the place and have suggested not giving--essentially don't feed the trolls. People then come on an tell people they are being mean and God's watching you and you should donate, when it's very clear that this panhandling is an organized business and likely human trafficking or drugs.

I joined NextDoor a few months ago because I thought it'd be a good place to find service people, like electricians and plumbers. Instead, not one single service provider I contacted ever responded to me and ND seemed to be a place where people complained endlessly about this and that, having nothing to do with the neighborhood. I deleted my account.

I got rid of nextdoor, mostly because I just wasn't using it. I just go to my town's facebook group. Lots of recent posts with power outages before Christmas, in the summer - lots of posts on the infamous town cannon being shot, and some actual good posts.

When we first moved into our new development were getting CONSTANT ads in the mail to join some neighborhood website. Maybe it was that nextdoor thing but don't recall the website. Never joined and others told me it was mostly a place for people to complain about something their neighbor was/wasn't doing that made them angry. Waste of my time. If I want to talk with my neighbors, we chat when outside doing yard work or when someone happens to walk by.

I think those websites are run by people who want to build a big following so when they have their IPO they can all get rich..............nope not interested.

Last edited:
Well, I certainly wouldn't put their app on my phone, I just go to the website. Not an app person and know too many people that have their cell phones hacked. Hopefully my computer with anti-virus software is safer.
Yeah, I do wonder sometimes how some of the people on NextDoor survive. They don't know why their garbage day changed even though their last three bills had a notice telling of the change. They don't realize that leaf blowers are allowed during certain hours. They don't realize the electric company can't control people crashing cars into their poles and knocking out power. And every random noise is not worthy of a 9-1-1 call. Yes, they empty dumpsters at schools at 4 am because they don't want kids around for safety reasons.

I like Nextdoor but am also aware it is like inviting the internet into my life so strict boundaries. Do I want to be stalked by someone down the street because they don't like my stance on wild turkeys? ummm no

Where I am it seems like packs of wild coyotes are everywhere tearing peoples pets to bits all the time and then the heartbroken pet owners are being savaged because their pet escaped. It is good to know there are packs of coyotes for safety reasons, this also probably explains the fact there are fewer turkeys this year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter