• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Weird DAS thing today

DLgal

DIS Veteran
I was waiting to scan into the Disneyland turnstiles this morning around 9:30. As I was waiting, I launched my app to bring up my ticket screen and noticed the DAS button already there. Out of curiosity, I clicked it. It loaded the rides I could select and showed DL rides (my park reservation was for DL). I clicked on one. It took me to the screen to request the return time. I clicked through and got to the final page before I backed out.

Now, the weird thing about this is, my son (the DAS holder) wasn't even with me. I am here solo today. It would have let me make a return time by auto checking his name and allowing me to select myself as well. All this BEFORE I had even scanned in. The app knew I wasn't in the park yet. It still said "Welcome to Downtown Disney."

I wonder if this was just a glitch or if they will now allow you to make DAS return times before you've entered the park.

Hmmm… Interesting. We won’t be there until the 21st but that would be nice if we could make a selection before entering…

We had DAS a few weeks ago and couldn't make a selection until after we were scanned in. The option wasn't even there before scanning in. Must have been a glitch.

I have probably seen more posts about DAS than any other topic and while I have an idea what it is, can anyone fill me in on how beneficial it is for those families that use it?

I was waiting to scan into the Disneyland turnstiles this morning around 9:30. As I was waiting, I launched my app to bring up my ticket screen and noticed the DAS button already there. Out of curiosity, I clicked it. It loaded the rides I could select and showed DL rides (my park reservation was for DL). I clicked on one. It took me to the screen to request the return time. I clicked through and got to the final page before I backed out.

Now, the weird thing about this is, my son (the DAS holder) wasn't even with me. I am here solo today. It would have let me make a return time by auto checking his name and allowing me to select myself as well. All this BEFORE I had even scanned in. The app knew I wasn't in the park yet. It still said "Welcome to Downtown Disney."

I wonder if this was just a glitch or if they will now allow you to make DAS return times before you've entered the park.
When I was a Disney World back in November, one of my friends had a DAS but her arrival date was after mine however I was one of the additional guests on it. I had been in the parks a few days prior to her and I was able to access the DAS tile etc without her being there, however I was already in the park.

I have probably seen more posts about DAS than any other topic and while I have an idea what it is, can anyone fill me in on how beneficial it is for those families that use it?
It's a Disability pass for anyone who can not wait in a regular line. Instead of standing in line you book a return time and have to wait the same amount of time as the ride's current wait time....you can just do your waiting elsewhere in the park, walking around, having a snack, etc.

O
It's a Disability pass for anyone who can not wait in a regular line. Instead of standing in line you book a return time and have to wait the same amount of time as the ride's current wait time....you can just do your waiting elsewhere in the park, walking around, having a snack, etc.
Wow, so you when you return, you just walk right on? Is this good for just the person with the disability and one other family member or multiple family members.

O

Wow, so you when you return, you just walk right on? Is this good for just the person with the disability and one other family member or multiple family members.

It basically puts you in the lightning lane line so you can still have a bit of a wait. For rides with no lightning lane you usually enter through the exit. It's normally good for the person with the disability and up to 5 people in their group but I've seen it approved for people with larger groups....9, 10, 11 people.

Hmmm… Interesting. We won’t be there until the 21st but that would be nice if we could make a selection before entering…

I agree. I mean, maybe it's using geolocation and letting you book once you are close on a day you have a reservation?

Although, that doesn't explain why my button was even active while the DAS holder was in school 15 miles away on a day he didn't have a reservation.

I'm going with glitch unless it happens again and I'm actually able to book a return time. I'll definitely try it on my next visit with my son! We are trying to get a reservation for this Saturday.

We had DAS a few weeks ago and couldn't make a selection until after we were scanned in. The option wasn't even there before scanning in. Must have been a glitch.

Yeah, I know. We have had a DAS since September. It usually doesn't even activate the button until a few minutes after we have scanned in. Sometimes it takes quite a long time to show up.

Last edited:
In addition to the above the system is brand new to many visitors as Disney re-did it last year, including an entirely new sign up process now on offer (and kinda plagued with problems from bad IT to poorly trained CMs 🤦🏻‍♀️). Being a whole new system has led to a large uptick in discussion of how the system works. Being IT heavy leads to chatter upticks when the IT goes wonky.

I agree. I mean, maybe it's using geolocation and letting you book once you are close on a day you have a reservation?

Although, that doesn't explain why my button was even active while the DAS holder was in school 15 miles away on a day he didn't have a reservation.

I'm going with glitch unless it happens again and I'm actually able to book a return time. I'll definitely try it on my next visit with my son! We are trying to get a reservation for this Saturday.

In the past, since you have a MK and your son is already signed up for DAS, were you able to make your first selection as soon as you scanned into a park?

In the past, since you have a MK and your son is already signed up for DAS, were you able to make your first selection as soon as you scanned into a park?

Yes. We have to renew the DAS every 60 days, but as long as it's active, yes, we can begin selecting return times as soon as we scan in.

Please let Disney know about this. I know you're not abusing the system, but others might be taking advantage of this. DAS on the app has been glitchy for a while (at least since the end of last year in my experience) -- and plaids have told me that other DAS guests are experiencing the app issues, too (e.g. the tile not showing up at all -- so the guests have to use the kiosks each time, used return times not clearing for the entire party -- so new times can't be booked for the whole family, etc.). IT doesn't seem to be making DAS a priority -- and they should.

O

No, you don't just "walk right on." In fact, this is why they make the return time the standby wait minus 10 minutes. You STILL have to wait once you scan into the ride with a DAS. Sometimes it's a few minutes, other times it's 30-45 when the LL is exceptionally long. We have never "walked right on." They tell you that the DAS does not provide immediate boarding when you sign up for it.

Please let Disney know about this. I know you're not abusing the system, but others might be taking advantage of this. DAS on the app has been glitchy for a while (at least since the end of last year in my experience) -- and plaids have told me that other DAS guests are experiencing the app issues, too (e.g. the tile not showing up at all -- so the guests have to use the kiosks each time, used return times not clearing for the entire party -- so new times can't be booked for the whole family, etc.). IT doesn't seem to be making DAS a priority -- and they should.

I'm already home. I'm gonna see if it happens again and if it does, I will inquire with the plaids in park to see if it's a new feature or a bug.

ETA:

What I won't do is do Disney ITs job for them. They pay people to look for bugs in the software. That's not the guests responsibility. I'm not going to report something that could be a benefit to DAS holders.

My button is there again right now, from home. I don't have a reservation for today. When I click it, it says "no results currently available, try again later." The parks aren't open yet. At 8, I'm gonna see what happens.

My app home page has also has been looking different the last couple days. Has there been an update? Maybe the addition of the DAS button prior to park entry is a new feature. It would certainly solve the issue of people not having the button show up when it should.

ETA (again):
At 8am, I was able to click the button. ALL rides at DL and DCA showed up. However, this time, when I clicked through, it said "the following guests have not yet scanned into the selected park" and I could not go further. So, it SEEMS like they have updated the app to include the DAS button at all times, instead of only after scanning in. Next time we go with my son, I will see what happens if I try to make a return time just before scanning in.

It is also noteworthy that ALL rides now show up in the list, so perhaps we can now make return times for the second park before hopping over? I'm eager to see if this is the case.

Last edited:
No, you don't just "walk right on." In fact, this is why they make the return time the standby wait minus 10 minutes. You STILL have to wait once you scan into the ride with a DAS. Sometimes it's a few minutes, other times it's 30-45 when the LL is exceptionally long. We have never "walked right on." They tell you that the DAS does not provide immediate boarding when you sign up for it.
Thanks for addressing this. I HATE when people write stuff like about the DAS. It leads to so much misuse and makes it harder for those who need it to use it. No, we are NOT skipping the lines, we are just waiting somewhere else for the same amount of time and we still wait in line for a little bit when we join the queue with a return time. We have never just walked right on a ride while using it, and if we didn't have it, my son would not be able to enjoy the parks nearly as much as he does.

I'm already home. I'm gonna see if it happens again and if it does, I will inquire with the plaids in park to see if it's a new feature or a bug.

ETA:

What I won't do is do Disney ITs job for them. They pay people to look for bugs in the software. That's not the guests responsibility. I'm not going to report something that could be a benefit to DAS holders.

My button is there again right now, from home. I don't have a reservation for today. When I click it, it says "no results currently available, try again later." The parks aren't open yet. At 8, I'm gonna see what happens.

My app home page has also has been looking different the last couple days. Has there been an update? Maybe the addition of the DAS button prior to park entry is a new feature. It would certainly solve the issue of people not having the button show up when it should.

ETA (again):
At 8am, I was able to click the button. ALL rides at DL and DCA showed up. However, this time, when I clicked through, it said "the following guests have not yet scanned into the selected park" and I could not go further. So, it SEEMS like they have updated the app to include the DAS button at all times, instead of only after scanning in. Next time we go with my son, I will see what happens if I try to make a return time just before scanning in.

It is also noteworthy that ALL rides now show up in the list, so perhaps we can now make return times for the second park before hopping over? I'm eager to see if this is the case.

Thanks for sharing about the app looking different. There was an app update, so I went ahead and did it. Afterwards, the rides from both parks were showing up. I tried booking rides afterwards for DCA, which we haven't scanned into yet (did DL this morning), and it says we haven't entered the correct park. Maybe because we can't parkhop yet? Either way, it looks like they're setting it up for future use later on, which is nice.

Thanks for addressing this. I HATE when people write stuff like about the DAS. It leads to so much misuse and makes it harder for those who need it to use it. No, we are NOT skipping the lines, we are just waiting somewhere else for the same amount of time and we still wait in line for a little bit when we join the queue with a return time. We have never just walked right on a ride while using it, and if we didn't have it, my son would not be able to enjoy the parks nearly as much as he does.
We wouldn’t even be able to go if our kids can’t use DAS.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter