Weird Aulani DVC Availability

treemone

Earning My Ears
Not sure if anyone else has noticed this, but wanted to hear thoughts. I've been watching Aulani availability closely over the past month in order to try and move to a different room view. In that time, I've noticed a lot of strange things such as most room availability after May 21 not moving at all. The 3-Bedroom Standard View remains unavailable now through the 11-month mark. And when I cancelled a single weekday night off my reservation on the website, the room wasn't available in the system at all after, as it usually is with any of the other resorts I've done this with, even in peak-demand seasons. Anyone know the reason for this, or notice this as well? Just want to make sure I'm not going crazy!

I haven’t noticed this with the DVC but I have noticed it with the regular hotel rooms. I booked a garden islands view and wanted to upgrade to an ocean view. In one day, though, all the rooms disappeared. I wondered what was going on, too - I thought it was strange that they booked all the rooms within a 24 hr period.

I wonder if its anything to do with the Soft Goods refresh? Its scheduled for this year but they could be playing with the dates and room availability.

So in 2021, there will be a mini refurb of the DVC rooms at Aulani, but focused more on the 'soft goods' such as carpet, paint, artwork, cushions etc. At the condo meeting in December, they gave the list of properties having a soft goods (minor) or full refurb list.

That would make sense - maybe they are trying to do it before summer. I just wanted to upgrade my room to an ocean view, lol. I could kick myself that I didn't do it right away.

Both the refurb and because the hotel is still operating at a limited capacity.

Let’s say they are only permitted to fill 300 rooms at any particular time. Once that 300th room is booked regardless of what type it is, all the other room types become “unavailable”.

That would make sense - maybe they are trying to do it before summer. I just wanted to upgrade my room to an ocean view, lol. I could kick myself that I didn't do it right away.

As I mentioned above, it might because the system is seeing your request as a new reservation but there’s no other rooms “available”. Might be best to call to make a change.

Treemon, I have noticed the availability issue and kept looking to see if someone else had too! I’ve looked pretty much daily for a month or so and the DVC member site has shown no available rooms in any category for even a single day from mid May or so til late October. Availability is usually very fluid there so I’m not sure what’s going on.

Interesting. There was some availability up until a few weeks ago and then nothing. I just thought demand shot up but maybe something else is going on.

As I mentioned above, it might because the system is seeing your request as a new reservation but there’s no other rooms “available”. Might be best to call to make a change.

I did call, but they told me there weren't any upgrades available.

All I know is I’ve been planning our 1st trip for Thanksgiving and our first night was not available for weeks before we could book DVC, so I told my TA and she said there wasn’t even availability on the cash side! So I couldn’t even walk a reservation like people mentioned. Then the next morning at 6:59 am 7 months out our second night was available and then at 7 am when I grabbed it, it was gone! I ended up getting it at midnight but the third night was gone at that point. This happened again for our 3rd night and we eventually got it, but nothing for Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday Thanksgiving week. I of course have it waitlisted but not one category of studio is available any of those nights and were not available at 7 am at 7 month mark. I assume we will see them for rent soon and am so frustrated!

All I know is I’ve been planning our 1st trip for Thanksgiving and our first night was not available for weeks before we could book DVC, so I told my TA and she said there wasn’t even availability on the cash side! So I couldn’t even walk a reservation like people mentioned. Then the next morning at 6:59 am 7 months out our second night was available and then at 7 am when I grabbed it, it was gone! I ended up getting it at midnight but the third night was gone at that point. This happened again for our 3rd night and we eventually got it, but nothing for Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday Thanksgiving week. I of course have it waitlisted but not one category of studio is available any of those nights and were not available at 7 am at 7 month mark. I assume we will see them for rent soon and am so frustrated!

This happened to us as well for the same week, but we were looking at 1 bedrooms. I had 2 single nights booked out of our 5 night stay and had to waitlist the rest. Night 1 was for the poolside garden view and night 3 was booked for an island garden view. I was waitlisting for all poolside garden. Today, around 12:45, I logged in and found 1 bedroom island garden view for nights 2-5, so I snatched it up and redid our waitlist.

Now, we are waitlisting (for up to 7 days out from the trip) to try and get all of our nights in a poolside garden room so that we don't have to move. Honestly, I am not worried if it doesn't happen...more relieved that we actually have rooms.

So keep stalking the site!!

Last edited:
I have been following this too. I decided book several weeks ago for early July and there was plenty available but not all in the same category. Then it all disappeared and I haven't seen anything available again. I've been stalking the website-but nothing yet..

Those rooms that are cancelled probably go to people who are waitlisted. That is why you won't see it available. Aulani is extremely popular, especially during school break times.

Not like this - you see some availability pop up for a day here and there. This shows no availability in any category at all for studios, 1 bedrooms and 2 bedrooms (haven't looked at GV) for about 3 months straight - that doesn't happen by chance

Not like this - you see some availability pop up for a day here and there. This shows no availability in any category at all for studios, 1 bedrooms and 2 bedrooms (haven't looked at GV) for about 3 months straight - that doesn't happen by chance

I guess I don't understand what the issue is? Are you saying that it's strange that the resort is sold out for DVC? I think that, with covid restrictions, that there are less rooms available then usual. They might open more up if they are able to. But as far as summer being sold out, that is not unusual. And any cancellations will go to waitlisted members. I have booked 3 trips to Aulani during end of May, beginning of June time period and it has always sold out. It's just a busy time and add that the locals who are not able/willing to go to the mainland and are using their points at Aulani, you get a much higher demand.

I guess I don't understand what the issue is? Are you saying that it's strange that the resort is sold out for DVC? I think that, with covid restrictions, that there are less rooms available then usual. They might open more up if they are able to. But as far as summer being sold out, that is not unusual. And any cancellations will go to waitlisted members. I have booked 3 trips to Aulani during end of May, beginning of June time period and it has always sold out. It's just a busy time and add that the locals who are not able/willing to go to the mainland and are using their points at Aulani, you get a much higher demand.

It’s not just sold out for DVC - it’s sold out on the regular hotel side, too. I’ve been waitlisted for some time as a DVC member and nothing has opened up (which I knew was a long shot when I placed my name in the waitlist). Anyway, I decided to take advantage of the sale they have going on right now as a regular hotel guest, and there was a ton of availability when I booked, then the next day when I decided to upgrade to an ocean view, it was all gone. Which makes sense with what another poster says - they have limited capacity so it doesn’t matter what room type is booked, when they reach capacity, it’s probably reflected as sold out. But if that’s the case, you would think that when I called and tried to upgrade to an ocean view and if there was a room available for an ocean view, they’d prefer that instead of the room I initially booked since it’s more $. This past year has been anything but normal so I’m just happy I was able to snag a room. I keep stalking the website, though 😊

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter