• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

weight watchers thinking of joining, help?

acf_1991

Mouseketeer
I've tried losing weight after DD number 1 and although I'm proud of how far I've come I would like an extra push. I've seen a lot of people on the DIS say that WW has been a great help and they have results to prove it. I want to join also but I don't really understand the program. I know there is a monthly membership fee but do I have to buy food? Can I only eat the foods they tell me to eat? Please help, I'm so confused. I want to join but I don't want to be surprised when I find out there is more things I have to pay for. :lmao:

I've tried losing weight after DD number 1 and although I'm proud of how far I've come I would like an extra push. I've seen a lot of people on the DIS say that WW has been a great help and they have results to prove it. I want to join also but I don't really understand the program. I know there is a monthly membership fee but do I have to buy food? Can I only eat the foods they tell me to eat? Please help, I'm so confused. I want to join but I don't want to be surprised when I find out there is more things I have to pay for. :lmao:

You DON'T have to buy special food. That is what I love about W.W.
Well, you might start buying healthier options but, not special W.W. food.
The only thing extra you might need to buy is a calculator but, if you get the monthly pass you will have access to e-tools and you will have a calculator there. Hope that helps!

WW is the best! I've lost 72 lbs so far and I love it for its flexibility and freedom. Nothing is off-limits, so you don't feel like you're depriving yourself of anything.

It works well for me because it emphasizes making the right food choices, which gives you the control over what you eat and what you don't eat. For instance, you CAN eat a muffin for 10 points, but do you really want to spend that many points on 1 thing? Is it really worth it? Sometimes it is, so if you have the points, then eat it and don't feel bad about it!

I don't like being told what I can and can't eat, so WW has been perfect for me. It promotes accountability, personal responsibility and taking control of your life and what you put into your body. The word "diet" is a no-no at WW, instead they focus on making a life change, so when you reach your goal weight, you have the right tools for continuing to make the right food choices.

The meetings are great, very supportive and informative. Weight loss accomplishments are recognized in the meetings (if you want them to be, otherwise they're private) and they can be great motivators. Star stickers are awarded for every 5 lbs gone, you get an award for losing 5%, then 10% of your starting weight. 50 lbs gets another award, as does 75 lbs.

I highly recommend WW to anyone who's interested in losing weight, but it has to be a good fit for you. Good luck!

I just joined for the first time this last Sunday and so far so good! I'm not looking to lose a ton of weight, only 12-15 pounds, but I know that I don't have the motivation and will power to do it on my own, I need that little push to get me to actually eat better. I really like how I have the choice of what I eat. I'm working on making better food choices and have been happy with the choices I've made so far. It's definitely a little time consuming at first, figuring out how many points some foods are and how many points portion sizes are, but I'm really happy with it and it has only been 4 days! My body already feels better. Good luck!

Hi there,

I'm doing WWonline for the 3rd time now. I used it after both of my pregnancies and had great success (30+ lbs)... This time I don't have a baby to blame, I just REALLY like candy! :)

I like the online program because it's very private, and that works for me. Other people like the "real" meetings because it gives them accountability.

For the online, you just tell the computer how much you weigh, what your goals are, what your height is, and a few other things, and it gives you a "points allowance". Then you plan your meals each day to "spend" that allowance on any foods you want, aiming for 5 veggies, a vitamin pill, lots of water, etc. There are little boxes you "check" each time you get one of those things. You have a weekly allowance, too, that you can use for "splurges." Sometimes you just need a burger... other people use those extra points a few each day or not at all... Once a week you weigh yourself and put that number in the computer and it gives you a smiley or a frowny with some encouragement... Then there's a chart that shows you where you are and where you've been and where you're going... Like getting a gold star for a good job.. :)

It works for me. I would not like to be in a room full of people talking about it, I just want to do it. It takes some time to learn your way around and figure out which foods are the best "deals" for your points, but it changes your view from "I can't have that" to "Ooh, I can have this and this AND this..." sugar free jello and pudding and lowfat yogurt are all good choices, 100 calorie packs help you out when you just NEED that cookie... and it's only about $18/month for the online version.

No matter which program you choose, the best advice is to always track it BEFORE you eat it. My husband is infamous for scarfing something terrible, and then you hear him cussing in the other room when he tracks it and realizes what he's just done... :)

Good luck!

I have done WW three times. I do the original points program. Like many of the others, I lost 20-30 pounds the first two times then fell off the wagon. The first fall happened when I moved and the second happened when my weight loss buddy moved.

But this last time, I decided that I was going to follow the program on my own. So that no matter what happened, I would not have an excuse to quit. I don't do meetings anymore or the online program. I just exercise and count points on my own. There are a ton of free sites that can teach you how to count points. I have lost 65 pounds this time and have been maintaining for about 4 months.

I like WW because I don't lose anything, aka carbs and ice cream. And I like to cook. So programs with pre-made meals or carb free diets never worked for me. What I realized is that I can still have the things I want, as long as I do it in a healthy way. Like a huge bowl of pasta, as long as I make the tomato basil sauce from scratch.

WW has never made me feel deprived. It's a good program and whether you do it solo or in the group, I hope it works for you!

(If you don't have a problem going no carb, I have a friend who has lost 45 pouns in about 5 months doing the 17-day diet. I tried it for one day with her and I could not do it. It involves no carbs for a while. :scared1:)

Good Luck!

I have done WW three times. I do the original points program. Like many of the others, I lost 20-30 pounds the first two times then fell off the wagon. The first fall happened when I moved and the second happened when my weight loss buddy moved.

But this last time, I decided that I was going to follow the program on my own. So that no matter what happened, I would not have an excuse to quit. I don't do meetings anymore or the online program. I just exercise and count points on my own. There are a ton of free sites that can teach you how to count points. I have lost 65 pounds this time and have been maintaining for about 4 months.

I like WW because I don't lose anything, aka carbs and ice cream. And I like to cook. So programs with pre-made meals or carb free diets never worked for me. What I realized is that I can still have the things I want, as long as I do it in a healthy way. Like a huge bowl of pasta, as long as I make the tomato basil sauce from scratch.

WW has never made me feel deprived. It's a good program and whether you do it solo or in the group, I hope it works for you!

(If you don't have a problem going no carb, I have a friend who has lost 45 pouns in about 5 months doing the 17-day diet. I tried it for one day with her and I could not do it. It involves no carbs for a while. :scared1:)

Good Luck!

Thank you for your insight! SO far I am convinced that this program will work for me. I don't want to feel deprived and I know I need a buddy or group to do this with because no one in my household cares enough to lose weight. :confused3 But thank you, I think I will try it. :) The only concern I have the cost of it all? Is it ONLY $20 a month or plus other fees?

Hi there,

I'm doing WWonline for the 3rd time now. I used it after both of my pregnancies and had great success (30+ lbs)... This time I don't have a baby to blame, I just REALLY like candy! :)

I like the online program because it's very private, and that works for me. Other people like the "real" meetings because it gives them accountability.

For the online, you just tell the computer how much you weigh, what your goals are, what your height is, and a few other things, and it gives you a "points allowance". Then you plan your meals each day to "spend" that allowance on any foods you want, aiming for 5 veggies, a vitamin pill, lots of water, etc. There are little boxes you "check" each time you get one of those things. You have a weekly allowance, too, that you can use for "splurges." Sometimes you just need a burger... other people use those extra points a few each day or not at all... Once a week you weigh yourself and put that number in the computer and it gives you a smiley or a frowny with some encouragement... Then there's a chart that shows you where you are and where you've been and where you're going... Like getting a gold star for a good job.. :)

It works for me. I would not like to be in a room full of people talking about it, I just want to do it. It takes some time to learn your way around and figure out which foods are the best "deals" for your points, but it changes your view from "I can't have that" to "Ooh, I can have this and this AND this..." sugar free jello and pudding and lowfat yogurt are all good choices, 100 calorie packs help you out when you just NEED that cookie... and it's only about $18/month for the online version.

No matter which program you choose, the best advice is to always track it BEFORE you eat it. My husband is infamous for scarfing something terrible, and then you hear him cussing in the other room when he tracks it and realizes what he's just done... :)

Good luck!

Thank you for your reply, I want to try it but I'm not sure if I can do it online, I have a feeling I will get lazy, I will try it in person first. :)

I just joined for the first time this last Sunday and so far so good! I'm not looking to lose a ton of weight, only 12-15 pounds, but I know that I don't have the motivation and will power to do it on my own, I need that little push to get me to actually eat better. I really like how I have the choice of what I eat. I'm working on making better food choices and have been happy with the choices I've made so far. It's definitely a little time consuming at first, figuring out how many points some foods are and how many points portion sizes are, but I'm really happy with it and it has only been 4 days! My body already feels better. Good luck!

Let me know how you are doing so far! I'd love to hear about your progress. :)

WW is the best! I've lost 72 lbs so far and I love it for its flexibility and freedom. Nothing is off-limits, so you don't feel like you're depriving yourself of anything.

It works well for me because it emphasizes making the right food choices, which gives you the control over what you eat and what you don't eat. For instance, you CAN eat a muffin for 10 points, but do you really want to spend that many points on 1 thing? Is it really worth it? Sometimes it is, so if you have the points, then eat it and don't feel bad about it!

I don't like being told what I can and can't eat, so WW has been perfect for me. It promotes accountability, personal responsibility and taking control of your life and what you put into your body. The word "diet" is a no-no at WW, instead they focus on making a life change, so when you reach your goal weight, you have the right tools for continuing to make the right food choices.

The meetings are great, very supportive and informative. Weight loss accomplishments are recognized in the meetings (if you want them to be, otherwise they're private) and they can be great motivators. Star stickers are awarded for every 5 lbs gone, you get an award for losing 5%, then 10% of your starting weight. 50 lbs gets another award, as does 75 lbs.

I highly recommend WW to anyone who's interested in losing weight, but it has to be a good fit for you. Good luck!

Thank you and congratulations on losing weight! :thumbsup2:hug:

You DON'T have to buy special food. That is what I love about W.W.
Well, you might start buying healthier options but, not special W.W. food.
The only thing extra you might need to buy is a calculator but, if you get the monthly pass you will have access to e-tools and you will have a calculator there. Hope that helps!

Great, thanks. :cutie: But as far as other fees, are there any?

I joined WW online in January during a free sign-up period, which they're also running now. (FREE to join when you purchase a 3-month membership at $18/month.) Far less expensive than the weekly in-person meetings, and like a previous poster said, I like the privacy of just doing it on my own. I don't believe I'd be comfortable sharing in a public meeting, but others really, really enjoy it and need it.

I love the WW support thread on this DisBoards! That's my "meeting" place. ;) In 18 weeks, I've lost 33 pounds and being able to share joys and concerns, ask questions and vent here have been a huge support for me.

I joined WW online in January during a free sign-up period, which they're also running now. (FREE to join when you purchase a 3-month membership at $18/month.) Far less expensive than the weekly in-person meetings, and like a previous poster said, I like the privacy of just doing it on my own. I don't believe I'd be comfortable sharing in a public meeting, but others really, really enjoy it and need it.

I love the WW support thread on this DisBoards! That's my "meeting" place. ;) In 18 weeks, I've lost 33 pounds and being able to share joys and concerns, ask questions and vent here have been a huge support for me.

You're actually making me think about doing WW online. I'm only looking to lose about 30 pounds to begin with. So if I'm correct it's only 18 a month online? What about in person? How much is that?

You're actually making me think about doing WW online. I'm only looking to lose about 30 pounds to begin with. So if I'm correct it's only 18 a month online? What about in person? How much is that?

I'm not sure -- I'm sure you can find the cost at www.weightwatchers.com. For me, online is the way to go because 1.) I know I'll never be able to block out the time each week to get to a meeting; 2.) It is loads less expensive that going to meetings in-person; 3.) I'm a really private person and would rather take this journey on my own and with my family...not sharing in a meeting; and 4.) As an online member, I really being able to track points online -- find it very easy -- and like the website/online tools available.

Doing WW online initially requires a three-month membership to get the free sign-up. Still WAY cheaper than in person...

I'm not sure -- I'm sure you can find the cost at www.weightwatchers.com. For me, online is the way to go because 1.) I know I'll never be able to block out the time each week to get to a meeting; 2.) It is loads less expensive that going to meetings in-person; 3.) I'm a really private person and would rather take this journey on my own and with my family...not sharing in a meeting; and 4.) As an online member, I really being able to track points online -- find it very easy -- and like the website/online tools available.

Doing WW online initially requires a three-month membership to get the free sign-up. Still WAY cheaper than in person...

I need something where I am held accountable for losing weight. I need that extra push for simeone to tell me that i am doing good or that i need to try harder. how does weight watchers online work for you? How does it all work if you don't mind me asking? As soon as i get the extra $, I want to join, but i dont really understand how it works exactly. :/

I (If you don't have a problem going no carb, I have a friend who has lost 45 pouns in about 5 months doing the 17-day diet. I tried it for one day with her and I could not do it. It involves no carbs for a while. :scared1:)

Good Luck!

I agreed with everything you said, but I must comment on this final statement and tell you that I lost 35 pounds in 3 months on WW, so that kind of "gimmicky" 17-day diet has NOTHING on good ole Weight Watchers!!

OP....you've gotten plenty of good advise and information here. I'll just chime in with a few thoughts.

#1. WW is not meant to be a "diet plan"... as in "I'll diet for a few months until I lose XXX pounds and then I'll be done." It is meant to teach you how to eat RIGHT to lose weight and maintain that loss for a LIFETIME!

#2. WW has lots of helpful tools available if you choose to use them. I suggest you read everything that is offered.

#3. WW can and does work!! But like everything else, you need to do it RIGHT. Journaling your food is a HUGE key factor that, IMHO, cannot be skipped.

#4. One of the very best things about WW is that nothing.... absolutely NOTHING, is off limits. Not carbs, not booze, not chocolate. But you still need to learn how to make smart healthy choices. The WW points system is set up in such a way as to "reward" you for making better choices (unlike a standard calorie counting system).

I've been doing WW for a solid 3 1/2 years now (not counting all of the previous attempts). I would be happy to answer any questions that come up!.................P

I need something where I am held accountable for losing weight. I need that extra push for simeone to tell me that i am doing good or that i need to try harder. how does weight watchers online work for you? How does it all work if you don't mind me asking? As soon as i get the extra $, I want to join, but i dont really understand how it works exactly. :/

I don't go to meetings, so I don't have someone pushing me, shaking their finger at me or who I answer to. I *do* have a very supportive partner/boyfriend who is always telling how proud he is of me, who doesn't let me get away with stuffing my face anymore, who says, "You look beautiful, keep up the great work" and all. I also have awesome co-workers who are amazed and gaga over the differenc in how I looked four months ago and have been cheering me on, asking lots of questions about the program and my success, and two have even joined WW online themselves.

I joined WW online on January 21 at 178 pounds, and almost 19 weeks later, I'm 35 pounds lighter at 143 pounds and feel SO MUCH BETTER! I feel healthier; I feel lighter; I feel cuter, sexier and sassier...more like the "me" I did six or seven years ago.

As far as how it works, I suggest visiting www.weightwatchers.com and reading everything you can about the plan...it's all there.

I agreed with everything you said, but I must comment on this final statement and tell you that I lost 35 pounds in 3 months on WW, so that kind of "gimmicky" 17-day diet has NOTHING on good ole Weight Watchers!!

OP....you've gotten plenty of good advise and information here. I'll just chime in with a few thoughts.

#1. WW is not meant to be a "diet plan"... as in "I'll diet for a few months until I lose XXX pounds and then I'll be done." It is meant to teach you how to eat RIGHT to lose weight and maintain that loss for a LIFETIME!

#2. WW has lots of helpful tools available if you choose to use them. I suggest you read everything that is offered.

#3. WW can and does work!! But like everything else, you need to do it RIGHT. Journaling your food is a HUGE key factor that, IMHO, cannot be skipped.

#4. One of the very best things about WW is that nothing.... absolutely NOTHING, is off limits. Not carbs, not booze, not chocolate. But you still need to learn how to make smart healthy choices. The WW points system is set up in such a way as to "reward" you for making better choices (unlike a standard calorie counting system).

I've been doing WW for a solid 3 1/2 years now (not counting all of the previous attempts). I would be happy to answer any questions that come up!.................P

I agree 100% with everything you've said! I've read that WW has a saying: If you kind of follow the plan, the plan kind of works. If you really follow the plan, the plan really works. SO TRUE!! Measuring was HUGE for me...I had absolutely no idea what a serving of most foods were...cereal, chips, crackers, meat of any kind, etc. I was eating WAY too much, and boy it showed. Simply eating proper amounts to a big-big lesson to learn.

Tracking what I eat was/is also huge. Most people have no idea how much food (or even what food) they put in their mouths each day. I sure didn't. Looking at it all on paper is my accountability.

Good luck!! If you join, give it a chance to settle in. WW WORKS!! :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter