Weight Watchers Chat -- Part III

Continuing down towards goal. It's both exciting and terrifying. I've never been this close! And I'm only 3.4 lbs away from the top WW weight for my height, which is wild to think about for me.

DH is traveling but actually took a taxi and went to a meeting on Saturday. And he lost 2.4! Woo!

For those who travel, here's something he did. Since he's stuck with restaurant foods on his trips, and portion size is, of course, the biggest problem with restaurant food, he brings the collapsible measuring cups from the kit I bought at WW. Instead of finding a plate and scooping out his Chinese take-out the other night, he used the cups AS his bowls. Used the cup measure for his rice, and used the 1/2 cup measure for his entree (he had a total of 1 cup of the entree, but I'm sure refilling that measuring cup helped to slow him down). And then he was DONE with his dinner. I'm so incredibly proud of him, and I must say, that's pretty ingenious.

:wave2: My name is Kristin and I joined Weight Watchers last Tuesday. So far it has been great. I really like the point system and am motivated to get back into a jogging routine. Have run 20 minutes on four days now. First day was really, really hard, ankles and knees screamed at me the whole way. Second day was hard too. Third day not so bad. Today felt GREAT!

Don't be afraid to slow it down with the jogging, OK? 4 days in a row can be a bit much when you're just getting back into things. My husband likes to go gung ho into something, and a week into it he's injured himself and is back to no activity. I'm training for the TOT 10miler in October, and then the Half in January, and I'm only running 3 days a week total. So think about slowing down, to make sure you don't hurt yourself, OK? :hug:

I will applaud because the scale is moving in the right direction!

Me, too!

And my applause is based on my past; a gain would cause me to skip meetings and quit! So not only does debbie get cheers for losing, but she also gets it for continuing to continue!!!!!

My Thursday check-in: I'm down 3.4 today after being up 2.4 last week. I knew that last week was messed up but I took my lumps and weighed in anyway. I am walking 20-60 minutes per day so I think that's really making a difference.

Yay!

I was up, too, last week. First week I didn't edit my ticker to show the upswing, naughty me. Pretended I'd stayed the same. It was likely hormonal, though I also was maybe not tracking all the bites/licks/tastes I'd had. Double-trouble, there. :)

I weighed myself this morning for weigh in, and I'm down only 0.2. I am just pretty disappointed because I went to the gym every single day and worked my butt off so hard. Last night I was on the treadmill for 100 minutes. I do not understand what I did wrong to come up with such a tiny loss. I ate my points, drank tons of water, exercised. I think I am mostly disappointed because after last week's weigh in I was only 0.3 pounds away from a 15 pound loss, and I thought for sure this week I would hit it. So, I've been on WW for exactly two months, and lost 14.9 pounds. I still have like 80 pounds to go. Does anyone know if 14.9 pounds in two months for someone who has 80-100 pounds to lose is normal?

That sort of upswing in activity can take time for the body to get used to! I know for me I have a rise in weight following a week of doing more, or something new. So for you to be DOWN is great! Just keep going forward.

The .5 to 2 lbs we are to expect each week is still an average. Some of us will lose in bigger chunks. Others will go .2 at a time, or even slower. And then it averages out. As long as the big picture shows you going down in weight, though, you're doing it right.

DH has done WW the same amount of time as I have (minus 4 days), but he's at 45 lbs and I'm at 77. We're both doing it as correctly as possible, but our bodies are different. (now imagine how hard it is for DH, a man, to deal with the comparison of his losses to most men, or even to me...poor guy! but it's just his body, and what is important is that he's eating better, he's more active, and he is 45 lbs lighter than he was 1.5 years ago)

I had an "a-ha" moment this week. I carried in a 10 kg bag of flour from the car. It was heavy! Then I realized, a few months ago, I carried that much (and more) around with every step I took! Wow. :eek:

So here's a problem for me...just started back at a 9-5 in the office kinda desk job. I am doing well at packing a good, balanced lunch, but I am just physically bored I guess, and I am always wanting something to snack on. "Smelly" snacks are frowned upon--microwave popcorn would be great, but I don't feel comfortable bringing it in. I am craving things like crackers or chips (or popcorn...). What are good alternatives? The *job* is great, and engaging, but I am used to being up and about, and I think that's what's doing me in.

My son is about 74 lbs. He's also just about up to my chin (he's tall and I'm short). I can pick him up easily, but walking with him is difficult.

I've now lost 77. A few weeks ago, when my loss was the same as his weight, it was a HUGE aha moment of what, exactly, I've accomplished. I've lost the equivalent of my 9 year old son. Wowza.

Look online for the exact instructions to pop *just* popcorn in a paper bag in the microwave. The stink of microwave popcorn comes from the "butter" etc they add to it. If you just put the kernels into the paper bag, and pop it, it's not going to smell offensive.

For some reason this made me cry a little. I have so much weight to lose and I feel sorry for my bones.

Ana

:hug:

Every little bit counts!

DH read somewhere that every pound we lose is 3 lbs worth off of our knees. He's said that to others and they've agreed with that. So every little bit you lose is 3 times that off of your knees, which is great!

WI this morning...up 0.8. :headache: Sigh. I think it's my first week with a gain. (I have to check, there might have been one other.)

I think it's a good thing to get through the first gain. Or even the second. :) To have the gain, to see it on the weight card or scale or whatever, and to continue on is a HUGE thing. So many people see a gain and freak out...it's better when we can just say "hmm, OK, well, keep on keeping on", and just trust that continuing our plan will work out in time.

I had my first gain very early on this time through WW, and while it hurt like heck when it happened, ultimately it was very very good for me mentally and emotionally. Congrats on your first gain! :3dglasses

WI tonight and I'm down 1.4 lbs!! I don't know how because we were out of town for three days. I have increased my time in the gym and cut back on the fruit. Thank you Bumbershoot for your words. I even stayed for the meeting tonight, first time in 4 months!

Woo!

And I'm so happy for you.

The whole time we were there, it just wasn't fun. I felt like we were trying real hard to have fun, if that makes sense. Knowing dh would have been happier at home with his dog just put a big damper on things. I don't think he and I will be going back.

IF I ever go again, I want to go alone. Very little chance of that happening!

I can relate to this. The second time we went to WDW, it was kind of the same feeling. It felt like the planning was more fun than actually being there! So, this trip, we have more people going with us, and I'm not going to schedule the days. Just let them happen.

And, to get back to the WW topic, I find this thread much more helpful and supportive than the actual threads on the WW site. :thumbsup2 We went out to eat today, and I did well. It is tough to watch others eat french fries while I eat broccoli! :badpc:

It sounds like everyone is moving in the right direction! I had a really rough, emotionally stressful week last week and I knew I gained. I went through this train of thought Saturday morning... I could sleep in and skip my 8 o'clock meeting, then... okay I'll go... but not weigh in, and then when I got there I decided that I weigh what I weigh and not getting on the scale isn't going to change that. so I weighed in. I was up 2. I stayed for the meeting which I always enjoy and I'm back on track.

I've been telling myself that I need to get back on my treadmill and get some walking in because we're going to Disney in about a month but I haven't done it yet. I do leg lifts in the morning, light arm weight exercises at night, and keep track of steps with my fitbit. But I want to do more. Well, I finally went to the orthopedist for my very sore, achy ankle and it appears that I have damaged cartilage and ligaments. My ankle is loose because the ligaments are not holding it together and controlling it properly. So I have to have an MRI soon. I still want to get on my treadmill but I was so surprised by what the Dr said I didn't think to ask his advice as far as what is okay to do and what could make things worse. Maybe I'll give him a call.

Hope everyone has a great week!

It sounds like everyone is moving in the right direction! I had a really rough, emotionally stressful week last week and I knew I gained. I went through this train of thought Saturday morning... I could sleep in and skip my 8 o'clock meeting, then... okay I'll go... but not weigh in, and then when I got there I decided that I weigh what I weigh and not getting on the scale isn't going to change that. so I weighed in. I was up 2. I stayed for the meeting which I always enjoy and I'm back on track.

I've been telling myself that I need to get back on my treadmill and get some walking in because we're going to Disney in about a month but I haven't done it yet. I do leg lifts in the morning, light arm weight exercises at night, and keep track of steps with my fitbit. But I want to do more. Well, I finally went to the orthopedist for my very sore, achy ankle and it appears that I have damaged cartilage and ligaments. My ankle is loose because the ligaments are not holding it together and controlling it properly. So I have to have an MRI soon. I still want to get on my treadmill but I was so surprised by what the Dr said I didn't think to ask his advice as far as what is okay to do and what could make things worse. Maybe I'll give him a call.

Hope everyone has a great week!

That's great that you went, weighed, and stayed!

Since you've been in pain, you might have been taking pain medication. Many people find that those cause water retention; if DH takes ibuprofen, even just a few in a whole week, he's up a few pounds from water.

Conway733...although making better choices gets easier the longer you've been eating better (sometimes I WANT broccoli instead of a bunch of fries!), the only way that I, personally, have been able to have success with WW this time is to find ways to fit the occasional serving (or half serving) of fries into my life. That's the way my personality works, though; I don't respond well to self-caused deprivation when there are other choices. So I tried early on to eat the Weeklies and then Activity points, was happy to find that I can eat those, and in that way I almost always have some form of dessert*, I'll have some fries when we go to Red Robin (or the water park last week!), etc. It's good to know your own personality, that's for sure!

*dessert has started to look, sometimes, like warmed up frozen berry/cherry blend from Trader Joe's (Costco's version with pomegranate seeds from Townsend Farms has been recalled!) with nonfat Fage plain yogurt. Warming up the fruit is important because it gets the juice out of the fruit, which then sweetens the yogurt more than just eating the thawed berries does. I feel very very weird calling that "dessert", but some days it just works for me!

dessert has started to look, sometimes, like warmed up frozen berry/cherry blend from Trader Joe's (Costco's version with pomegranate seeds from Townsend Farms has been recalled!) with nonfat Fage plain yogurt. Warming up the fruit is important because it gets the juice out of the fruit, which then sweetens the yogurt more than just eating the thawed berries does. I feel very very weird calling that "dessert", but some days it just works for me!

My dessert of choice lately has been fresh berries with a squirt of fat free rediwip. Delish! Oh, and I've decided that I'm not sure if there is anything much better than fresh pineapple. Just a pain to cut up!

Hi!!!
Haven't posted in awhile, but I have now loss 44lbs:banana::banana:

My Disney Vacation has been moved from Dec to the middle of Nov---Can't wait---my goal is to walk without pain and have more stamina, instead of the actually lbs I have lost!!!

I don't know what finally "clicked" for me but I got off the couch and started moving more 2 weeks ago!!! The 1st week I earned 9 activity pts and this last week 15:cool1::cool1: The 1st week I lost .4lbs was disappointed but kept reminding myself that I had still loss. At my weigh in today I loss 1.8lbs!!!

I have been on WW for quite awhile---my message is DON'T GIVE UP!!!!!

Hope everyone has a great week:):):)

For the past two weeks I have lost 2.2 lbs and today and I gained 2.2 lbs! It's all my fault I didn't journal at all this week. I got to get my planning back on track.

I'm up about 2 pounds this week. :faint:
I haven't really been tracking very well and I have the worst of all colds so I haven't been working out either :(

Sorry for some unpleasing results pwdebbie and tarameow. Tara, I had a dreadful cold a few weeks ago, and was up a lb the following week—no exercise, no focus. It’s gone now (the pound, and the cold). Don’t be too hard on yourself, and take care of yourself. BUT get tracking! I am a tracking fiend I have to say—if I’m not tracking I don’t feel like I’m “getting my money’s worth”. So do it, girl! :goodvibes Pwdebbie, I am still impressed that you did so well post-vacation. Don’t forget about that, that was amazing that you got back in line so fast.

Down 1.1 this week for a total of 28.1. Woohoo! Slow and steady right? I really want to be 6 lbs less than I am right now when we go on vacation in [checks her countdown app] 51 days. I dunno if I’m going to make it. The good news is this is my third week working in an office all day (was WFH for about a year and a half, plus 6 mos of looking for work). And I am down 1.1, so I feel like I’m on track.

I solved my “sitting physically bored, with the munchies” all day problem, at least for now. I got myself a big honking water bottle that I am keeping filled, and some “toys” for the office Keurig coffee machine. I got a couple of those reusable k-cup baskets, so I can have coffee or tea. (I really hate the amount of garbage the single-use pods create and I’m also too damn cheap to pay for them!) I just use a little milk in my coffee or tea, so I’m keeping myself hydrated AND amused. Keeps me feeling full too. I do bring a few 2 pt snacks every day, usually a 2 pt bar, a yogurt or Jello pudding, or Pop Chips.

Oh, here’s an NSV. I am buttoning up shirts and sweaters! I usually wear a t shirt or tank under a dressier shirt, cardigan or hoodie, and for years now, I just leave the top layer unbuttoned. I guess it stopped me from buying new tops as I “grew”. This week I buttoned up a pretty new cardigan I had for my day at work. And today I’ve got my crisp blue blouse buttoned over top of my white t. It’s weird, it’s like I forgot what buttons were for! :rotfl: AND I bought 3 new “bottoms” this week, two pairs of shorts and a pair of black dress pants—all in size 12. :cool1: I started at an 18/1X in Feb. Some brands are bigger than others, and I still have some 16s in my closet that don’t fit right even now, but there are a lot of 12’s. I seem to have skipped right over 14, both up and down! (I haven’t actually bought much, I kept my range of different sizes and have been “ungrowing” into them.)

I think I'm going to give myself a badge or two for today...:wish25:wishsize3

Hi Guys, I am new to this thread :wave2:
I have done WW in the past and went back today. I had a huge amount of success with it. Some of my weight came back so enough is enough... I figured I need all the help and motivation I can get so I am subscribing to this thread. I am very excited to be back in control of my weight loss journey!!

I guess I should catch up some more, didn't realize how much I'd missed.
Ok, so, I did it. I joined. And I survived the first week, and lost 4 pounds. I have a lot more to lose, but this is actually working for now. Need to get motivated to exercise.
:welcome: and good start!

I don't usally go to the gym on the weekends but I did today and I'm glad I did. It felt so good when I got home to know I did something great!

:thumbsup2

:wave2: My name is Kristin and I joined Weight Watchers last Tuesday. So far it has been great. I really like the point system and am motivated to get back into a jogging routine. Have run 20 minutes on four days now.

:welcome: Good going!

WTG! ::yes:: I hope you've got more info or a plan about dealing iwth your ankle now? My knee is giving me serious grief and I need to do the same, get myself to my doc and figure it out.

Hi!!!
Haven't posted in awhile, but I have now loss 44lbs:banana::banana:

My Disney Vacation has been moved from Dec to the middle of Nov---Can't wait---my goal is to walk without pain and have more stamina, instead of the actually lbs I have lost!!!

I have been on WW for quite awhile---my message is DON'T GIVE UP!!!!!

Thanks for coming by to tell us that, WTG on the kick-start. I find your numbers really inspiring.

Molly, really proud of you to hear you are so close to goal. We will be here to share it with you! You have really persevered. Ha! You've lost a whole person! (A juvenile, but a person nonetheless!) Good strategy on your dh's part, and glad to hear he's seeing progress.

Did I catch everybody? Keep it up, folks, and keep talking! Even when I don't have a chance to post, I am reading, commiserating and cheering. It's good for me to know you are all hear, facign the same things.

I have made Lifetime twice. So, I am not new to the program. I know it works. I just have to stick to it.

Last month, my doctor told me I have to exercise more and get this weight off. I have put it off.

Last week, I got everything together to get started. Then discovered my calculator did not work anymore. So, I went on line and not only ordered that but all the new books, etc. Package deal.

I do better if I start at the first of the week. So, Sunday is my day one.

At this time, I can not attend the meetings. I know it helps. Hopefully, I will be able to in a few months.

My biggest motivation is my 18 month old grandson. I want to see him grown. So, this is a health issue for me.

Plus, I want to take my little Bryan to Disney when he is 5 (if not before then).

So, I am hoping this message board can keep be motivated.

Thanks.

Quick check in from today. I'm up .2, but totally happy with it. I had a rough couple of weeks on the program and I was pleasantly surprised that it was only .2. I tracked and weighed the last couple of days so I'm hoping to keep up the good work.

I was a little peeved today at the McDonalds next to the WW office. I get a large coffee with one cream and the oatmeal without sugar (if I don't bring my own breakfast to the meeting). The ditzy employee asked me "Did you want 2 creams?" No, just one. And THEN he used the sugared oatmeal and cost me an extra point. Unfortunately, I didn't notice that he used the sugar oatmeal until I was at my meeting and frankly the I like the taste of the unsugared oatmeal a lot more. I looked at my receipt and it didn't say "w/o brown sugar" so the ditz entered in in wrong. AND he was SLOW!!

Oh, here’s an NSV. I am buttoning up shirts and sweaters! I usually wear a t shirt or tank under a dressier shirt, cardigan or hoodie, and for years now, I just leave the top layer unbuttoned. I guess it stopped me from buying new tops as I “grew”. This week I buttoned up a pretty new cardigan I had for my day at work. And today I’ve got my crisp blue blouse buttoned over top of my white t. It’s weird, it’s like I forgot what buttons were for! :rotfl: AND I bought 3 new “bottoms” this week, two pairs of shorts and a pair of black dress pants—all in size 12. :cool1: I started at an 18/1X in Feb. Some brands are bigger than others, and I still have some 16s in my closet that don’t fit right even now, but there are a lot of 12’s. I seem to have skipped right over 14, both up and down! (I haven’t actually bought much, I kept my range of different sizes and have been “ungrowing” into them.)

I think I'm going to give myself a badge or two for today...:wish25:wishsize3

You deserve those badges! Isn't it great to wear button up shirts and not be afraid of what might pop open? Good job!

Something I disvoered the other day. Store-bought cake just isn't worth it for me! I take the full tracker hit for it, 14 points, and it's just not that good. I'd rather have a lemon loaf with icing from Starbucks and a 2% latte for that many points.

And then all I wanted the next day was sugar sugar gimme more sugar. Ugh!

Now, I'm no stranger to desserts; I didn't eliminate my sweet tooth, but ick at the typical store bakery stuff for me.

I was a little peeved today at the McDonalds next to the WW office. I get a large coffee with one cream and the oatmeal without sugar (if I don't bring my own breakfast to the meeting). The ditzy employee asked me "Did you want 2 creams?" No, just one. And THEN he used the sugared oatmeal and cost me an extra point. Unfortunately, I didn't notice that he used the sugar oatmeal until I was at my meeting and frankly the I like the taste of the unsugared oatmeal a lot more. I looked at my receipt and it didn't say "w/o brown sugar" so the ditz entered in in wrong. AND he was SLOW!!

Oh I hate when a random food service person messes up my day's points! Even if it's only 1 point. The Starbucks person put the wrong topping packet in with my oatmeal order, and by the time I realized it it was already mixed in. Turns out the packet for the original oatmeal is a full point more than the nuts fruits seed medley packet for the "hearty blueberry oatmeal".

Just between you and me, the wrong packet really MADE my oatmeal, like ooh so good, but, you know, a point is a point is a point. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter