Weekend after Thanksgiving

JK World

Mouseketeer
Trying to decide on travel dates for 2019. I'm hoping Star Wars doesn't open until mid-December and I can miss that, but I'll deal with that when an opening is officially announced. In the meantime, I see many threads about the week of Thanksgiving and not much about the weekend after.

I'm considering flying in the Saturday after Thanksgiving 2019 and doing park days that Sunday-Tuesday (December 1-3, 2019). I'm hoping that most people are flying home that Sunday and the park is not awful. Specifically, I'm considering MK Sunday, Epcot Monday and HS Tuesday. I know Sundays are party days, I prefer the low crowds at MK on party days. What type of crowds do you generally see the weekend after Thanksgiving?

Touring Plans seems to think that Monday will be pretty busy, which seems strange to me. So I'm hoping they are wrong! Please do let me know how the crowds are on your trip, and have fun!

We've done this week many times and will be there this year from Nov 20 - Dec 2. I'll post a report when we return, but our past experience has shown us that the parks will be super crowded through Saturday, and then empty Sunday through the following weekend.

We went a few years ago - checked in on thanksgiving Saturday, started touring Sunday. Our schedule was:

Sun AK/EP,
Mon HS,
Tues MK (party night)
Wed MK in the evening only, for fireworks
Thurs MK (party night)
Fri EP
Sat HS

We went to chef Mickey's on our arrival night and it was CRAZY busy around MK. Monday and Tuesday were super quiet (this was pre-Pandora), Wednesday night was busy as it was the only non-party night of the week, Thursday was okay but definitely busier, and the weekend was also manageable but busier. Having a good touring plan made a huge difference.

Last edited:
Touring Plans seems to think that Monday will be pretty busy, which seems strange to me. So I'm hoping they are wrong! Please do let me know how the crowds are on your trip, and have fun!

No party, always busy at MK.

Following. We’ll be there at the same time (hoping Star Wars land is open), arriving the day before Thanksgiving until the Wednesday after. I figured the first half will be really crowded, and hoping the second half is light.

The week after used to be beautiful... literally walked on any ride. Past couple years, especially due to free dining being offered, it’s been a little busier than usual. Still a good time to go, though. Compared to summer, I’d definitely recommend it. Good luck deciding, see you there!

We are arriving SUnday after THanksgiving and leaving on Saturday. I called to extend one more night. There were no openings at POrt Orleans FQ. the only resort that I could switch to for a full stay was Coronado.

The week after used to be beautiful... literally walked on any ride. Past couple years, especially due to free dining being offered, it’s been a little busier than usual. Still a good time to go, though. Compared to summer, I’d definitely recommend it. Good luck deciding, see you there!

This. We went one year a few years back and it was blissful. Hardly anyone there. It is busier now, but still an excellent time to go. The weather is beautiful. It is my favorite time to go.

The crowds definitely clear out on Sunday. Still might not be "empty" but definitely less crowded than the Sunday before Thanksgiving -Saturday after Thanksgiving.

We are at Epcot this morning. It is pretty crowded. It took us 20 minutes just to get through the rope drop crowd to scan our magic bands after the park opened.

ETA...the MK crowd for the bus this morning was insane at ASM. I can’t imagine what the crowds are like there today.

According to the lines app the wait times don't look terrible. Longest is of course 7DMT at 130 minutes. Last week it got up to being in the 200s.

On my way back and did MK on Saturday and DHS Sunday. Both were busy but not as busy as the weekend before. MK I was able to get multiple additional fast passes and we left before the parade. I would still compare both to Easter spring break week crowds.

Before my kids were in school.this was our preferred week to go. Arriving the Sunday after Thanksgiving. Crowds were low as people were returning home.

Looking at TP crowd levels from Sunday and Monday, it looks like my plans wouldn't be too bad. MK on Sunday, which is a party day and only saw crowd level 2 during the day. Then Epcot Monday, which saw crowd level 4 yesterday. Curious to see how today ends up, but I'm thinking I'll stick with this weekend for next year!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter