Week of Sep 4 - 2006 Half-Full Marathon Info/Training Thread

chimera

<font color=deeppink>WISH Racing Team Member<br><f
Hello everyone!

For those new to us, we're a group of people who are planning to participate in the 2006 and/or 2007 Disney Half or Full marathons. We range from non-running beginners to triathletes. Come join us!

Here's the Marathon FAQ, a great place to answer your marathon questions:
Disney Marathon FAQ
And some websites for further running/walking info:
http://www.runnersworld.com
http://www.coolrunning.com
http://www.halhigdon.com
http://www.running4women.com/
http://www.runnergirl.com/index.shtml
http://www.katherineswitzer.com/fitness.html
The John Bingham site:
http://www.waddleon.com/
Jeff Galloway's site:
http://www.jeffgalloway.com/

Pacing Calculator

Welcome kathcoll! :wave: Always nice to have another Goofy in our midst! :dog: What kind of training schedule do you use?

Cam...wtg on your 5K! :banana: :banana: :banana: Great pace and wow what an improvement over your last race! It's cool that DD's running with you now, too! Love the family photo! Hi, Howard!

Nancy...glad your house is finally ready, but sorry about the moving.

And sorry to be so slow posting the new thread. We spent the weekend in Gainesville and just got back today. My FIL's 70th birthday was this weekend in Jacksonville, so we decided to stay in G'ville to split up the drive. Didn't think the wild todd would appreciate 5 hours in the car and it gave us a chance to check out our old haunts.

My 5 miles on Friday was a stonker! :mad: It was hot and gross, my pace was slow...just no fun at all. I'm glad I doubled up the training weeks...if I had to move on from that one, I'd be worried about doing 6 miles. Hopefully, this week's 5 miler will be better. Today's intervals were ok...back to a 15:28 pace. I'd like to get that down to 15:00 pace, maybe even 14:30 by race weekend!

Good training everyone!

:wizard: Just bumping this thread above last week's :bitelip:

Wow--haven't been here in a while--wrapped up in Katrina (don't live there--used to many years ago, so personal interest in the goings on).

Anyway---I did 4 miles on saturday pushing a jogging stroller--tough work. We were on our own this week and decided to convene--and I don't get a sitter on those days. Everyone else did 5--but the stroller was just getting to me. I think part of it was for 2 weeks in a row...I skipped a workout day. Well I remember really quick why that was a bad idea.

Did 2 miles today--tomorrow is cross training--back to Pilates. Didn't do those last week either and paying the price.

Monte- You CAN DO IT! Don't give up! If I can do it anyone can! (although I haven't actually done it yet) Hopefully the heat will start slacking off a bit & making it easier for everyone to train. This is a great place for support. I am a non-athlete who is trying to become one in the next 18 weeks. If you have had a bad week training, blow it off, forget about it & start anew tomorrow. From what everyone here says it is definately worth the effort.

Lisa-4 miles with a stroller is nothing to sneeze at!

Keenercam-great photo. I love putting a face with the name. That's a great race time too! My first 5k is 9/24. Cant wait.

chimera-that's my goal too. I want to go to the race with a sub 15 min mile.

I've been pressure washing & doing yard work all weekend. "cross training" :rotfl:

Have a great week!

Hello everyone!! I hope everyone is enjoying an extra day off. I haven't done much today, so it's been very relaxing. That's what Labor Day is for, right?

I vow to never again to use the treadmill unless there's 5 feet of snow on the ground. Yesterday I did my 3 miles and for the first time in 2 weeks I wogged outside. I thought it was going to kill me. You just don't realize how much more impact there is on your legs running outside as opposed to on the treadmill. I finished my 3 miles in 38-something, I forget my exact time, but my pace was 12:42. So really, not too terrible, but I had a hard time getting going. This morning I got up and did my 32 minutes of walk/run, I did 2.47 miles and my pace was 13:01. My pace hasn't been that low in probably 3 weeks, but I contribute that to running Sunday afternoon at 5:00 and then Monday morning at 9:00. I don't know how you Goofy people do it!! Oh, and I have some Stephen news (thanks Carrie for asking), he started running on it again last week and so far so good. He's been icing after every run and taking ibprofin.

Monte--You CAN do it!!! Please DON'T give up!

Cam--So happy for you on your 5K time!! You have made some serious improvements over the last few months. I think you're well on your way to becoming a big :dog: By the way, that's a great family picture! How wonderful that your family is so active.

Mel--I meant to tell you last week, congrats on the Bucs big win. I just saw that Hines Ward signed a 4 year contract for $27.5 million!! I am so psyched!! :cheer2:

I don't know what happened, I wasn't finished!! Anyway....

Susan--I can't even gloat over Thursday's victory. The Steelers looked horrible. What's up with Rothlisberger? 4 preseason games and not one TD. He has 6 days to get his act together.

Carrie--I'm keeping the football discussion alive. Lions looked good on Friday night too. Stephen has family in MI--Grand Rapids and Mount Pleasant, so I usually keep up with the Li-downs so we can talk football at family functions.

I can't remember now what I was going to say, so I'll just say happy training and stay safe!

Krista princess:

Greetings everybody!

Monte--(and anyone else who needs it)--YOU CAN DO IT! DO NOT GIVE UP AT ALL!! It is still early in the training and discouragement is normal. But that is part of the marathon. In my opinion, the marathon is not the 13.1 or 26.2 (or the 39.3 for some of us crazy goofy people :earseek: ). The marathon is the training process. Most of us will be training for months and months. It takes dedication and persistence to stay with something for that long. Sure, the training runs are long and they can be rough, but we will make it! It is all about the positive attitude. We are all here for each other.

Even I have had my doubts lately about the Goofy. I ran a half on Sunday, and about mile 11 I was thinking to myself "I'm going to try and do a marathon the next day. I am crazy...there is no way I can do this :scared1: ." Then I reminded myself "No, I can't do this tomorrow. But I am not going to do this tomorrow. I have many weeks of training and preparation left. I might not be able to do a marathon tomorrow, but I KNOW I can do the Half and Full in back-to-back days in January :cheer2: "

I finished my half and felt good afterwards. I was going to run today to see how my body responds to running the next day after a half, but too many other things (ok, football game :teeth: ) got in the way. My time in the half was 2:21; (I have no idea what category dog that makes me :dog: ) it is good enough to keep the sweeper bus far away from me.

Happy training everyone, stay injury-free, and remain positive. We will make it together!

Paul

Paced Lynne for her 8 mile run today on bike. She did a tri on Sat. Here is a picture of her new bike and going into the finish. Lynne is number 129. She spent the run running down the women who she eventually passed before the finish line.

www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=2121153352

I am finally getting back into exercising after the shoulder surgery 3.5 weeks ago. I still have to be careful not to be over zealous with movement in the shoulder. I have to work on getting my endurance and speed built up. It is finally cooler here and easier to exercise.

Lynne has the theory she must punish herself each time she rides her bike. After each ride she has to run 20 min. It will help her with the bike to run transition for future triathlons.

aladdinsgirl said:
Susan--I can't even gloat over Thursday's victory. The Steelers looked horrible. What's up with Rothlisberger? 4 preseason games and not one TD. He has 6 days to get his act together.

Krista - I was surprised as well although I think our defense is awesome and most teams are going to have a tough time against us. How about our first string offense? Jake really has it going this year. I have to believe that Cowher will have your guys ready for opening day. Maybe he's just playing possum!

I did my long run on Saturday - 5.3 miles in 1:14. The weather was gorgeous. Then on Sunday my trainer took me on another 2.5 mile run. He says my pace is picking up so the speed work must be helping. I am still one of the slowest people on the planet but I'm persistant! Tonight is speed work and upper body strength training and tomorrow is cycling class.

Have a good week everyone!

Gotta be quick, but there's a bunch I want to get out.

Kath! Welcome!

monte - You've come this far and this long, you can do it! Hang in there. I've been really having some stonkers lately. Maybe it's because the training's gettign harder, we've been at it a long time and it still seems like a long way away. We're down to only about 4months before we get to run through WDW, though! I think we all could use some reminders of how great this will be if we all hang in there. Tpp bad LIly's off sailing and can't reiterate here cheer. Lisa?

Krista - Li-downs. Believe it or not, I had not heard that one. :teeth: Relative in GR? Really is a small world! I work there about 1 day a week and thats where dh works.

solo - Don't worry, I ahve my boys in blue on Saturdays. This next week should tell us alot, though. My BIL is also a U of M fan, so he'll be ok. Between beign a Lions adn Tiger fan, I think that's the only way he stays sane. Too bad he's livign in Lansing and married to an MSU grad. :sad2

Kathy - Welcome back! I've been wondering how teh family's doing! Thanks for the update and the link!

cam - You and Howard have a beautiful family! Way togo on your 5K!

I did my 6 Saturday. It was very hilly, one hill was ver a mile going down, no shade, no breeze, so I could not do our regular out and back, as that hill would have killed me. Dh was pretty sure that we coudl go a different way back, but no guarantees. I gambled and lost. DIdn't have to do that hill, but kind of illegally crossed I-75. Very remote area, but not somethign I'dl ike to do again. Well, ended up runinign about 6.5 adn waling another 1.5. Another mis-calc! mY splits did not show it, I think because of the heat and the hills, but I felt better than I have in agaes, so I'll take it. Waslked ~7 miles yesterday for teh Mackinaw Bridge Walk and am going to cross train today.

Sorry, I know I missed amny, but I don't have time to take notes today.

Have a great week everyone!

Good morning everyone,

I woke up Saturday morning (lr day) and was in major pain from the sciatic nerve in my right leg. A lot of heat treatments and motrin later and I was able to move slowly. A trip to the chiropractor will be part of my week. Until then my knee and leg are still throbing off/on so I will not be doing any training until after I see the dr.

Hope everyone has a great week!

Monte- You can do it!!!!!

Carrie- Well, at least you don't have all your hopes tied to the Lions. I didn't go to school or grow up here in MI, so I'm neither really a UM or MSU fan-- and frankly not much of a football fan. (Wow, they're going to take away my guy card for that one...) But you CROSSED I-75!!!! Holy cow!

As for training, on Sunday I did 40 minutes (3 run, 2 walk) and managed 4.23 miles which is 9:27/mile pace. :banana: I was exhausted after work Saturday but really pushed it and I was very happy with the result. Monday I did 35 minutes (3 run, 2 walk) and did 3.55 miles at 9:51/mile pace. I was sore and stiff so it was a good run all things considered.

Someone asked on the previous thread about my walking pace--- I use the walk sections as "active recovery"-- I make sure to keep the pace below 15:00/mile. I want my body to get used to what that feels like so I won't get swept. I really pay more attention to my pace during my walking portions then my running portions. I tend to run somewhere between 7:30/mile and 9:00/mile pace, but have a much harder time with consistancy.

Happy training all!
Solotraveler :earsboy:

monte said:
I need to hear a few "you can do it" and "don't give up". :guilty:
Monte, Hey! YOU CAN DO IT!I just saw this plea for help. Must have been you calling to me here on the cruise. Please, DO NOT GIVE UP. Those days when you don't "feel " it, just put on those shoes and go one foot after the other. You can do it. WE can do it.

We have a day at sea and so I thought I'd check in.
I managed 3 miles yesterday and 2 miles today on the ship track. Yesterday I wogged, today I walked the first mile fast and then the second mile I did with DH as a more of a stroll. We walked tons in Key West during the day yesterday too.

Thunder, thunder, thunderation!
We're the WISH Group delegation.
When we move with determination,
We create a GREAT! sensation!

Keep on keepin' on.

Hi Everyone--Haven't posted in a while because I still haven't been running. Weird calf/hamstring pulls or spasms. Really have no clue what I did to them! I'm getting nervouse though--are they going to heal?? I've already taken two weeks off and then tried slowly running and it feels exactly the same as when I first injured it. Not better at all. I don't even know who to go see about it?? Any ideas of what to do? I've been stretching and doing yoga like crazy to try to make it better but no luck. Hmph!

MONTE -- Come on, you CAN do it!!!! You've come this far already!

Lily -- How GREAT to hear from you! Isn't Key West a riot? Hope you are having an absolutely fabulous time. The "MAGIC" is one of my favorite places in the whole world! Glad to hear you are getting in some miles on the ship! Take care, sweetie! :teeth:

All I have to say is "it is amazing what rest can do for you"! I just started my third week of the program and went out on Sunday for a "leisurely" 40 minute run. Well, I now know what the meaning of STONKER is!!!! :sad1: I felt just terrible, plus I was wearing new shorts and they started to chafe! Well, I quite after 30 minutes, I just couldn't do it. I was so down when I got home and my DH said that some training runs are meant to be "dumped", if you don't have it that day, you don't have it. He said I did the right thing to stop because that is when you are prone to injury. Well, yesterday was my cross training day and did a Yoga DVD (Yoga Conditioning for Athletes). Well, I loved it! Not very exerting, but lots of stretching and relaxation. Went out today for my tempo run and ran 4 miles in 37:45. It felt absolutely great! I am so pumped now. :banana: :banana:

Getting back to that Yoga DVD, I think it is really going to help my IT band, back and hamstring problems. Does anyone else do Yoga??

Lily, wow, cruising! Lucky you.

Carrie, good job on your long run! The sun kills me too! I need to purchase sunglasses. Any recommendations?

Solo, I continue to be amazed at your run/walk pace.

Minnie, I really have to stretch a lot or my siatic (sp) nerve acts up too! Take good care of that!

panthergirl, good long run! Hasn't the weather in NC been great! It is about time!

Monte - You can do it! There is still time for you to pull it all together. We are all behind you! :grouphug:

Colleen

Thanks gang, I needed that! :flower: Tomorrow I'm going to hit the bike path and walk Vail pass...don't know if I'll make it all the way to Vail, but it should be a good workout. Thanks again and I can't wait to meet everyone :Pinkbounc

I had a rough training weekend - I bailed out of the Va Beach RNR half because of dizziness and nausea - a visit to the doctors today confirmed an inner ear problem - and no exercise at all for a week :confused3
I'm currently training for the Marine Corps Marathon October 30. My LSD next week is 20 miles - sure hope my week off doesn't make that too hard!
I'm using Dave McGovern's marathon training program for racewalkers.
kath

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter